Oshkosh 2016

cscotthendry

I'd had thoughts about it too, in fact discussed going in a group with a few flying mates. However, there was a Qantas special to the USA on at the time which finished up Monday, and I hadn't got permission from a the minister for finance in time...

• 4 months later...

I'll be there! I'm hoping to rent an RV and park it in Camp Scholler. Planning is underway. It's been 27 years since my last visit... Man I'm getting old...

Thinking about going, although not this year, maybe in 2017. For you regular Oshkoshites, what's a ballpark cost for the trip so I have some idea of what to plan for?

rgmwa

Who's going this year?

I'm planning for 2017. Was planning this year and I was told by people that have been before; that the military join in the displays in a big way every odd year. They sayn its a bigger better show, maybe biggers crowds too. Cheers Mike

Thinking about it. Wishing fo better than the Uni accom this time.

The Uni. Set up is good the meals, the process of getting to and from the show are just great. Yep the beds are a bit small.. BUT make sure you get an aircon room the others get hot, even for Nth. Qlders.

KP.

Do you guys who will be there this year fancy meeting up to say Hi? If so, any ideas for a good place & time?

Cheers,

Neil

The other option is doing a Torii Tours trip ( I went with them 2014 and have no links or financial interest in their company ) but it made the whole thing really easy.

Pay the money up front and everything is done for you except buying the entry tickets.

I did the short trip - 8 days and it cost about $4k. There's longer ones where they take you to other aviation places around the USA. Flights, accom, transfers, a tour " guide" who didn't do much ( and didn't need to do much) but was there in case of probs. only extra cost was into the airfield etc. if you join EAA then the whole week entry and joining was only a bit under $200 if I recall.

I thought it was good value for money. Just make sure you get an air con room. Hang the extra expense it's well worth it. I thought the Uni accom was a great idea. Lots of people with aviation in their blood there to meet. Lots of Americans stay there as well as lots of overseas people. I met a real good Ol' boy from Louisiana named "Bubba" - I thought that was only a name they had in movies :-) Food was as good as a average to good hotel restuarant - you really only eat breakfast there. Believe me you will only be in the room for sleeping - there's a least 3 night air displays ( I mean REAL night displays not just early evening in day light. Planes , helicopters flying in the dark with pyrotechnics strobes and fully lit up airframes doing aeros etc and night entertainment music, movies, lectures etc. every night. you won't spend any time in the room except to sleep so you don't want to go for any expensive upmarket hotel when all you need is a bed.

I'm looking at going again in 2017 but looking at making it a kickstart to a touring trip of the Midwest and west. So probably won't do the torii tours next time. But I will look at it. Might still be worthwhile. But if you are doing a straight airshow trip it's well worth considering.

• Agree 1

Jaba-who.. Very good idea get into those tours to Oshkosh little bit extra however none of those nasty little surprises, I say it is a must when going. Only once did I have a non aircon room I cooked. The experts said get a fan it was battling to make the place cool. I like the meals just walk to the mess pay some money eat then leave.

KP

The other option is doing a Torii Tours trip......

Yes - that is who I am going with. Have been to Wanaka and Omaka with them and they were great, plus you get to meet up and travel with other aircraft nerds!

I have an aircon room booked at the uni, so should be fine. I am also a member of EAA, so I get cheaper entry, plus can buy a weeklong ticket for my brother at the cheaper rate too. Just doing the Oshkosh week (this time anyway!).

They will be having a WW1 special display, so I will be like a pig in ....er... mud.

Cheers,

Neil

For what it's worth I had a chat with Ron Cook ( torii tours) about hybrid tours with time at Oshkosh and time off doing my own thing in an RV around the mid and Wild West. Seems he's happy to accomodate any plans.

As far as Oshkosh goes though regardless of how you get there I would recommend being there for the whole week. When I went in 2014 I actually found stuff on the final Sunday that I had not managed to see the rest of the week even though I went there every day. It really does deserve a full week.

You are correct one must have the whole week there. AND get some walking fitness before you go.

The other important point, go to breakfast early by waiting for the door to open about 3/4 hour later place is bedlam. This is at the uni.

KP.

• Agree 1

Yep Keith I agree entirely. I walked kms and kms every day.

But as a bit of a jokey aside. They hire out bicycles and wheel chairs and the biggest number of mobility scooters I have ever seen in one place - sad indictment of the health status of the average American.

They have a very well run system of buses and trolley carts as well. But yes you will walk heaps.

I actually bought one ( well actually got two) there. One of the many many merchandisers sold fold up chairs that were designed for taking in light aircraft. Weigh 600 grams. I bought two and take them with me on our fly ins etc.

There were quite a few big fold up ones for sale there ( standard camp folding arm chair types) but these are a bit smaller and no arm rests but otherwise just great for stashing in the plane.

Last year when I was there we visited the international visitors tent, Free dinner. Catch up we people from around the world.. Great night!

Wish I was going again this year, but needed a new car... Next Year!

Also sea planes a must do!, a short bus ride from the front gate.

Keith.

• 2 weeks later...

We had planned to do the same but ended up not setting foot in it. Had so much to see and was made feel so welcome everywhere by everyone we met , Americans and foreigners, that the plan got forgotten. The Americans love Aussies.

• Agree 1