Early aviation oddities

onetrack

It's really amazing how many of those odd shapes actually flew. But that guy on the bike with the rocket? Looks like he weighs more than me. World's greatest optimist?

• Agree 2

I know it's ugly but I love the benign flight characteristics of the 2nd one, from 1.15 minutes.

It really is quite a novel design and one that probably warrants further development.

It kind of reminds me of how the majority of car manufacturers went from rear-mounted steering linkages, to front-mounted steering linkages, because front-mounted linkages gives improved steering control.

It really is quite a novel design and one that probably warrants further development.

I have played with it in 3d previously but couldn't really make it a marketable looking thing ..

1259940910_GeeBee4.jpg.ecd11d4299e2b8ad09041ec5ee17f438.jpg

1384458671_GeeBee4a.jpg.3d60b53190a95c9dce11c57345e04853.jpg

• Haha 1

It's really amazing how many of those odd shapes actually flew. But that guy on the bike with the rocket? Looks like he weighs more than me. World's greatest optimist?

Red if you use enough rockets (or a big enough one) you can make anything fly no matter how heavy or unaerodynamic it is, but yes I agree using that one small one was a tad optimistic.

But as far as laughing at these folks goes, it is amazing just how clever some of these designs were in a time where aviation wasn't anywhere near as commonplace as it is today and I think we should really take our hats off to people like these who create truly original masterpieces. How many of us here have designed something truly different that actually flew? And by that I mean something totally unique, not a traditional plane but something totally different. IMO some of these people were geniuses.

• Agree 1

2.12 is the most optimistic in that design looks like it could carry numerous passengers ............... Boeing should consider R & D for this concept

I have played with it in 3d previously but couldn't really make it a marketable looking thing ..[ATTACH=full]44815[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]44816[/ATTACH]

That,

Makes me picture this,

[/url]

Powered like this,

• Agree 1