Bucks party forced landing, How does that work?

It has never made sense to me that twin/multiple tanks aren't cross connected so that they all feed, all of the time. Sure, in the event of a fuel leak there'd be a problem but that's not insurmountable if isolation taps were provided for such an emergency. Glad I only have one tank to worry about on my Thruster.

• Agree 1

Low wing aircraft that rely on a fuel pump to deliver fuel to the carburettor /fuel injection system need to feed from one tank at a time. Should both tanks be simultaneously plumbed to the fuel pump and one tank empty, the pump would suck air and result in an engine failure. The only way that type is system works is to have a sump tank lower than the wing tanks and gravity fed, then pumped to the engine. The Yaks and Nanchangs use this style of system. Despite the western propaganda, the eastern block countries produce some smart, well designed and built aircraft.

• Agree 3

The simplest twin set up is tank to engine, and they stay (almost) balanced. Obviously when on one engine crossfeed is needed, and you keep within balance limits. If every tank has a non return valve fitted, select ALL and all pumps ON will exhaust all fuel without air getting in the system. Mismanagement of some systems can introduce air to ALL engines, OR vent some fuel overboard so you MUST KNOW your plane's fuel system, as well as carry sufficient fuel for the flight. W&B and Fuel Management are usually 100% to pass the exam . Like you wouldn't really be good enough if you got it wrong nearly 50% of the time would you? Nev

• Like 1

It has never made sense to me that twin/multiple tanks aren't cross connected so that they all feed, all of the time. Sure, in the event of a fuel leak there'd be a problem but that's not insurmountable if isolation taps were provided for such an emergency. Glad I only have one tank to worry about on my Thruster.

There is a story about a jet.

Flying over the ocean, carrying a lot of people.

They deviated from their flight path and went a bit south of the plan.

Suddenly, it was noticed that they were losing fuel!

Because of systemic problems with the process, they did NOT shut off the fuel to that engine and rather connected the tanks together with the cross flow system.

This further wasted fuel.

Only by luck did they make it and no one was killed.

Having the two tanks linked could be very dangerous for that exact reason.

You get a leak in one tank and it drains - not too much of a worry.

You get a leak in one tank and both tanks run empty: BIG PROBLEM