Jaguar down on M40

I've got a Jaguar and M4 story, though:

Long, long ago, (well, okay, in the '60s) and before motorway speed limits, the M4 from London ended at a very big, slightly domed roundabout at a place called Maidenhead Thicket. And early one Sunday morning, an old gentleman who had been biking down the road on the other side of that roundabout called the police to report an aeroplane crash: it has passed over his head shortly before impact. But it wasn't an aircraft: it was an E type Jaguar, presumably still traveling at full motorway speeds when it hit that roundabout and flew...well, for a short while...

• Like 1

Guest SrPilot
Not something you see everyday

True, f_t. In these parts they'd be on the other side of the road. 059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

That said, we rarely get to see airplanes moving along either side of a roadway, and particularly a Jaguar at that. In fact, the only Jaguar I remember seeing airborne was on an occasion as I was driving southbound on a motorway in Scotland. I'd still like to have a word with whoever was flying that aircraft. He came from my 4 o'clock, across my automobile, and departed up a valley to my 10 o'clock. I never saw him until he was moving away rapidly. He might have been 30 meters AGL but the sound made me think lower. Later developments lead me to believe that he may have been practicing for Iraq 1.

My old man tells a story about milking the cows one morning, and watching a DC3 land on the Warrego, which runs past the farm. Apparently it landed, taxied along for a bit then took off again.

Guest SrPilot
My old man tells a story about milking the cows one morning, and watching a DC3 land on the Warrego, which runs past the farm. Apparently it landed, taxied along for a bit then took off again.

Maybe activities like that earned the DC3 it's informal nickname - "the gooney bird" - although some say that name came from ops on Midway Island. I've flown on a few C-47s and DC3 "back when" The "gooney bird" has always been quite an aircraft.

I will try to beat all the above, a crop duster mate was spraying in a gully when an F111 went vertical right in front of him.

He kinda landed and went straight to the dunny without saying a word to us.

• Haha 1

You can just imagine the AA patrolman sitting at the side of the road, getting on his radio to base saying " you'd never believe what i've just seen on the motorway, a Jaguar that's struggling to get past a bloody truck" drive.gif.1181dd90fe7c8032bdf2550324f37d56.gif

• Haha 3
  • Caution 1

I wonder how much steering the chap in the cockpit has to do.

Not much...the military people always put someone in there to jump on the brakes if anything should go awry.

To be precise, the shoulder wing non-delta model is the Mirage F1.

Indeed, I don't believe the SAAF operated any Jaguars - I seem to recall someone sending me another view of this taken from a following car, aircraft was being relocated to a museum or some such.

IMHO, they're almost at a highway junction and in the fast lane. overtaking the cars. The canopy wasn't securely locked and has blown open at their high rate of speed. The truck (lorry) is left-hand drive so it's probably in France.

Now you're going to go back and check, right?