Bee sting on final !

rep003

Beautiful day today .

Sun is shining , birds are chirping & kamikaze Bee's are finding their way through the vent in the canopy & smacking sting first into my left forearm (throttle hand) whilst VERY late on final !

The impact was noticeable , the sting bearable , but the distraction could easily have cost me a pair of underpants :(

I had to leave it hanging there whilst I completed a fairly ordinary landing & taxied clear of the runway .

It got me thinking though , what have others endured or had "throw them" whilst on approach?

Cheers

Troy Rep.

• Like 2

Worst thing was a burst eardrum. I don't recommend it. Unpressurised aircraft..

Got stung by a bee before doing some conversion flying on a DC4 parked near the roadway at the western end, at Essendon... Hot day. Had the window open and there was a lovely bed of flowers not far away and the bl##dy thing bit me on the right hand . Didn't want to delay the conversion so did nothing about it. WRONG... let's just say it didn't help. I find I get a reaction to bee stings so it turns out and now always carry anti histamines in my wallet . Had a few bites on motorbikes, usually in spring. Hope it doesn't happen next weekend. Chiltern Wangaratta area sat & sun. Nev

• Like 1

Not on the same scale as being stung by a bee on late final, but I had a fly land on my sunglasses lens, right in the middle of my vision when about a foot off the ground landing at William creek. Nedless to say, my landing wasn't pretty.

• Haha 1

Not on the same scale as being stung by a bee on late final, but I had a fly land on my sunglasses lens, right in the middle of my vision when about a foot off the ground landing at William creek. Nedless to say, my landing wasn't pretty.

Nice excuse Scott

Obviously you didn't FLY it all the way to the ground, and what about the other eye eh lol

Alf

• Haha 3

Nice excuse ScottObviously you didn't FLY it all the way to the ground, and what about the other eye eh lol

Alf

Oh yeah....in the skydive world they used to have a number system so you wasted less time boring folk while explaining your excuse:

#23 'the aircraft stalled as we were exiting'

#17 'the sun was in my eyes'

and so on.

I never heard of 'fly on glasses', but it was probably in there somewhere: when, on landing, you mumbled '8, 14 and 43' to your disappointed fellow jumpers, nobody actually bothered to translate....)

Oh yeah....in the skydive world they used to have a number system so you wasted less time boring folk while explaining your excuse:#23 'the aircraft stalled as we were exiting'

#17 'the sun was in my eyes'

and so on.

I never heard of 'fly on glasses', but it was probably in there somewhere: when, on landing, you mumbled '8, 14 and 43' to your disappointed fellow jumpers, nobody actually bothered to translate....)

Whoa! This is getting out of hand... I can see I'm gonna have to post a pic of the fly!004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

It's a cruel world Scott. Next time tell them about snakes or a baby croc that got under your rudder pedal. They can't appreciate how precisely you land normally. Often "the ground must be down there somewhere" is the technique. Nev

• Haha 3

It's a cruel world Scott. Next time tell them about snakes or a baby croc that got under your rudder pedal. They can't appreciate how precisely you land normally. Often "the ground must be down there somewhere" is the technique. Nev

"The ground must be down there somewhere" ahh, I'm sprung. You saw me shut my eyes just before touchdown in my videos, obviously.

• Haha 2
  • Informative 1

On short final in a Gazelle when a bloody great spider runs out of the wing root and across the windscreen......startled the hell out of me! By the time I touched down he was nowhere to be seen. Sprayed everywhere with Mortein and assumed all good. However, a few days later found him sitting on my seat, but again by the time I had the can of spray in my hand he had disappeared. Sprayed again. Finally found him under the seat on his last legs (so to speak), and gave him a decent burial with full military honours...

• Like 1

I had a very unhappy wasp zip in through the open vent in a Pilatus glider and land on the breast of my T-shirt one afternoon.

Funny how the horizon can disappear when all your attention is taken up with something so small 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Kaz

• Like 2

Beautiful day today .Sun is shining , birds are chirping & kamikaze Bee's are finding their way through the vent in the canopy & smacking sting first into my left forearm (throttle hand) whilst VERY late on final !

The impact was noticeable , the sting bearable , but the distraction could easily have cost me a pair of underpants :(

I had to leave it hanging there whilst I completed a fairly ordinary landing & taxied clear of the runway .

It got me thinking though , what have others endured or had "throw them" whilst on approach?

Cheers

Troy Rep.

Troy, your lucky you have no allergies to bee stings by the sound of it.Being in the case of flying a plane,the situation could have been much worse if you were not on your late final to touch down,as symptoms for bee sting allergies can be

severe.

Guest alpipete

No snakes,large spiders or crocks over here but I did have an instance of being stung on the face by a bee as I was launching off our local paragliding site here.Just as well I am alergic to bee stings.Not paragliding anymore these days,am a lot happier in an enclosed cockpit minus the bees LOL

I never heard of anyone getting stung on the finals.

But there was a report years ago of some lady getting bitten on the funnel by a fingerweb spider...so glad we don't have them here........(

• Haha 2

I got stung by a European wasp a year ago. That's a different experience, I can tell you. like a bit of red hot fuse wire being dropped on your skin. Nev

i got bitten by a European wasp on my ear, it bit repeatedly, about 5-6 times in 1 sec. It sounded and felt like a machine-gun in my ear. And was very painful. Years ago I was riding the Ducati when a bee bit me on my neck -not nice- but the wasp was much worse. At least I was in the garden, and not on short final.

I allowed myself to be distracted by beehives that i did,nt know about, that had been setup alongside the xstrip when on late final, that combined with some extra sink at the xstrip touchdown resulted in the only landing ive done that caused any damage ie at mtow and bent stb main leg. As my instructor said. ( congratulations on your licence, well done, now you can learn to fly ) theirs no substitue for experience and thats what we have to get. Cheers Hargraves

• Like 2

........ theirs no substitue for experience and thats what we have to get. Cheers Hargraves

That's the sort of experience I would rather someone else got - and then let me learn from it (second hand). 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif

• Like 2

And the reason I posted it DWF. Cheers Hargraves

And I appreciate it Hargraves. 101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif

It may also be a cautionary tale for those who seem to get a "bee in their bonnet" on these forums. 096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif

DWF

• Haha 1
  • Caution 1

Better you then me, i'm allergic and have to remove sting as matter of huge priority, second only to not crashing...Was it in the aircraft on takeoff?

I don't believe so .

My arm was right next to the vent in the canopy and I felt it hit me before it stung !

Troy, your lucky you have no allergies to bee stings by the sound of it.Being in the case of flying a plane,the situation could have been much worse if you were not on your late final to touch down,as symptoms for bee sting allergies can besevere.

True that . No allergies to bee stings , but allergic to smacking the ground at 60 knots when distracted lol