Changing instructors

Hello,

I have been taking flying lessons from the same instructor but feel like I need to change due to his anger and dislike of teaching.(He is pretty open about that) I've got 52 hours and have done my solo cross country. My question is how do I go about changing without causing problems for my self at the small airport where I am training? I have known I needed to change for several months but tried to just tuff it out. I recently realized that I will not be able to pass the checkride if I stay with him. Also, as a physician I suspect my instructor is suffering from alcohol dependency. He does not fly drunk, but is very hung over which makes his mood swings worse.

Alex you've given this bloke an awful lot of loyalty, but it looks like you're going nowhere. You owe it to yourself to go somewhere else.

I know what it's like to stick it out too long with negative people. I discovered there's a whole world of good people out there. Change right away.

• Agree 3

Guest ivan4ilse
Hello,I have been taking flying lessons from the same instructor but feel like I need to change due to his anger and dislike of teaching.(He is pretty open about that) I've got 52 hours and have done my solo cross country. My question is how do I go about changing without causing problems for my self at the small airport where I am training? I have known I needed to change for several months but tried to just tuff it out. I recently realized that I will not be able to pass the checkride if I stay with him. Also, as a physician I suspect my instructor is suffering from alcohol dependency. He does not fly drunk, but is very hung over which makes his mood swings worse.

Make the move, the sooner the better!!

I think everyone should learn with multiple instructors. I've had a total of 6 instructors, from widely differing backgrounds (eg. ex-military, accountant, chopper pilot, flight engineer, etc) so I've picked up different things from all of them. All of them loved instructing so it was a pleasure in every case, which is how it should be. There's no place in the cockpit for anger.

You don't owe this guy anything, just make the move. If anyone asks about it, just say that you're looking for a different perspective. Say that you've heard that you'll pick up different things from different instructors. Good luck with the flying, stay safe.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Unless he is giving you free flying lessons,it might be and i say MIGHT,to just bite the tongue for a while.If your paying him,make sure he has signed off all your flying hours with him ,and give him the boot.Your not married to the guy. I am sure you will be fine with the next instructor,as you seem like a patient fella.

In the short term changing an instructor might be a set back to your comfort zone. IF you don't have one where you are anyhow, you have nothing to lose. Long term it's ALL experience. Confusion about things "Aeroplane" is to be avoided where possible. It's not a component of good airmanship.

A really good easy going bloke may not be the answer either. You need someone who will pick you up on bad habits, (nicely, of course) Make a mate of him after you get your Certificate. A good instructor doesn't have to be your mate. Nev

• Agree 1

I had to change flying schools recently which meant changing instructors, luckily both have been great, I did have a fill in instructor one time when my normal instructor was crook. That was a horrible experience, I vowed never to fly with her again. She constantly touching the controls without telling me, I never knew who was in control, both the other instructors would let me deviate and see if I picked up my mistakes and corrected them without being told, the women instructor would always be touching the controls without telling me and never allow me to make mistakes. I think you just need to be a good match. It makes for a much more pleasant flying experience.

Cheers

Rick

I had eight instructors before I got my PPL. All good and I also flew 4 different types of aircraft in that time. Thats what happens when your job takes you all over the country. It was probably better than all with one plane and instructor. I do believe instructors were better in those days.

My training was spread out over a couple of years. I had six instructors, starting with Tony Hayes, who was recommended to me as the best tail dragger teacher. When holidays and finance coincided I'd ride big distances to get time on different aircraft over widely differing terrain. All good preparation, but I regret not doing my Nav out west, where the featureless country would have forced me to learn how to use the plurry compass.

I still insist on doing my BFRs with a new instructor in an unfamiliar aircraft.

• Agree 1

Alex I would say tuff it out and get to the point where you are signed off for the checkride. You've gone too far already. And if it's a small airport there might be little politics too.

I remember about the same time I hit a learning plateau. It seemed to me I couldn't make any progress. Keep the pressure on, study hard and continue with the same guy. Especially if your wallet is bleeding...

I've had a couple of bad instructors in different areas (a dangerous paragliding instructor was one!) and I can tell you that you need to feel comfortable and happy to be safe when you undertake an activity like flying. From 4 instructors I've had in flying, one I didn't return to because i didn't like his attitude- I felt like an inconvenience to him. If you're somewhere with another school nearby then I'd try them out to get a different perspective. It's also a great way to get independent feedback on your flying.

I know that when you've invested so much time and money you want to get to the final sign off but you'll be safer if you go somewhere else and enjoy the passion of one of the many great instructors around Aus. And finally, who cares if your instructor has hurt feelings - might make him reevaluate why people keep leaving him.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Alex,

I'm on the bandwagon with the rest of these guy's, time for you to move on, it certainly doesn't hurt to fly with other instructors and pick up on the knowledge, passion and experience that the majority have,but at the end of the day you have to feel comfortable and enjoy the experience, pretty hard to do that when your sitting next to a cranky bugger while trying to learn. I bet your not the only one feeling the same way.

Hi Guys,

I've had GA instructors and various aircraft for the first 12 years of flying. Had a break from flying for 25 years, now In RAA I've had 3 instructors in past 18 months. Each change has been to learn something new, deliberately get me out of my comfort zone, and learn my own boundaries. From my experience change is GREAT. You learn something from everyone. I've never wondered wether the previous instructor was upset because I wanted someone else. I bet your current instructor knows something is amiss too, but he has no reason to get rid of you, you pay his bills! But you have every reason to get away from him.

Even if there wasn't a personality problem, at this stage of your training it might be really beneficial to experience someone else's training methods. Challenge yourself a bit, learn how someone else does things.

And you don't have to be completely honest why you're changing, just tell him you need a challenge and a different perspective before you finish your training.

If there are 2 or 3 instructor at your school try them all.! Most instructors willingly give feedback to students, whereas once your training is finished you will find they don't pick you up as much. (Unless you are doing something obviously stupid). I guess they think your habits are already developed.

Good Luck

Jenny

Hi Alex

See the positive in your situation. Sometimes a change in instructor is just what you need to move you onto the next level... That was certainly the case with my own flight training. I agree with earlier comments that a variety of instructors and aircraft broaden your aviation experience and should help you become a more confident and competent aviator.

Is it possible for you to complete your X-country at another airfield/flight school? I don't see why that would be a problem, for you or your current instructor. It actually isn't as much as a set back as you might think... Just make sure your signed off on what you've done with the current bloke.

Good luck

Alan