CLEKO give, buy, swap and sell place

002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif Hello all you aircraft builders that have completed their projects.

I intend buying an aircraft kit which is grossly under-supplied with clekos. As a result, I need quite a few more.

It occurred to me that there should be many satisfied aircraft constructors who have finished their aircraft who may have clekos left over. I, for one, would like to get hold of a good number. I have set up this thread for the purpose of putting ex-cleko users in touch with people (like myself) who need clekos.

Consider this thread as an attempt at recycling a bunch of clekos thrown in a box in a garage or shed somewhere 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif.

• Like 2

Good thread 148.16 kmh.

I might add a tip if I may, when doing matched holes, and my build has a number of parts like that now, I simply put a rivet in each end and using a small hand rivet gun, pull only a bit so the rivet ball just starts to expand the rivet end, can't fall out but is still loose. Depending on the length of the part I also might do halfway, or 1/4 lengths.

This leaves the part secure but loose enough in order to line the other holes up and put in the other rivets and start to pull them.

• Like 2

Good thread 148.16 kmh.I might add a tip if I may, when doing matched holes, and my build has a number of parts like that now, I simply put a rivet in each end and using a small hand rivet gun, pull only a bit so the rivet ball just starts to expand the rivet end, can't fall out but is still loose. Depending on the length of the part I also might do halfway, or 1/4 lengths.

This leaves the part secure but loose enough in order to line the other holes up and put in the other rivets and start to pull them.

Ok I'll bite, and you can call me dumb, what is a Cleko?

Brent

Actually, I, pylon500 and two mates are embarking on a new project(s), and we're gonna need all the cleco's we can get our hands on.

Mystery.jpg.41b21ad63b90e60b64b8f449b38ec944.jpg

If anyone has spare/leftover/finished with cleco's, PM me, and we'll look at some sort of deal.

• Like 1

I intend buying an aircraft kit which is grossly under-supplied with clekos. As a result, I need quite a few more.

When you finish your kit, might not hurt to hang on to your 51 clecos so you have them to do small repairs down the track.

FWIW, for those rejuvenating old clecos.

I obtained a batch of the screw-type clecos from the clearing sale of Terry Kronk ( RIP - very sad day for aviation) that had been left outside in a bucket and were somewhat rusted-up. (I prefer the screw-type to the pliers type, but that's just a personal choice.)

Put them all into a molasses/water bath (around 15% non-de-sulphurised (still has the sulphur in it) molasses used for cattle-feed supplement - you get it from a Farmer's Co-op pretty much anywhere, cheap as chips) for about a fortnight. Put a mesh screen ( I used some s/s wire mesh) on some spacers at the bottom of the container to allow the iron oxide to settle out below the clecos.

Then, you need to soften and remove the almost inevitable congealed duralac. I don't know of anything that will actually dissolve duralac, so I bathed them in turps for about another fortnight, then dis-assembled each one and put each shank in a battery drill and ran it using a brass (soft) wire brush on the thread. It's a bit tedious but they all came up almost brand-spankers new condition. Whether the turps idea would work on spring-type clecos, which can't be disassembled AFAIK, I have no idea.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have just checked my tools.

I have the following-

40 clekos silver

40 clekos copper

40 clekos gold

40 clekos black

they are all brand new.

Also have 6 small cleko panel clamps and 11 large cleko panel clamps.

Also two cleko pliers.

Open to offers- all comes in a hard plastic case and can post.

Also have fluting pliers, seaming pliers, panel knife and a full set of hand solid riveting gear and large hand solid riveter.

Also a full red box set air driven solid riveter with all bucking bars and different heads to suit. great for riveting spars etc.