Corsair down

Repotredly (reliable inside information) Graham Hosking's Corsair suffered an hydraulic failure and crash landed in a field near Sydney with extensive damage. Thankfully the pilot is reported as ok.. My heart goes out to Graham he has spent years rebuilding this beautiful aeroplane.

Greg

Repotredly (reliable inside information) Graham Hosking's Corsair suffered an hydraulic failure and crash landed in a field near Sydney with extensive damage. Thankfully the pilot is reported as ok.. My heart goes out to Graham he has spent years rebuilding this beautiful aeroplane.Greg

Your reliable inside information should have told you it was not a "crash landing" but a fully controlled & well executed gear up landing. Also it was not "in a field near Sydney" but at Maitland airport where there is an airshow today.

Our media sensationalise these events enough, we don't need to contribute to that anymore.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1

I know things get a little heated when it's close to home, but with respect trying to differentiate a wheels up, from a crash landing is akin to picking the fly droppings from the pepper. Whether it was landed wheels up by accident or with foreknowledge of a problem, it remains an accident. Sad to see, but at least this one ended well - I've looked at the big heavy warbirds more than once and thought that a forced landing etc would be a major concern to me, there is a lot more energy to scrub off with them, compared to an LSA type.

• Agree 1

Repotredly (reliable inside information) Graham Hosking's Corsair suffered an hydraulic failure and crash landed in a field near Sydney with extensive damage. Thankfully the pilot is reported as ok.. My heart goes out to Graham he has spent years rebuilding this beautiful aeroplane. Greg

Is it the January image on this years Australian Warbirds Calender?

• More 1

Still a lot of force exerted on the crankshaft through the bending of the blades. Actually if you look at the frames around 0.02, you can see the spinning blade hit the ground and then it stops.

OME

• Agree 1

All blades contacted lightly but bending the tips before the engine stopped then it dug in a bit and the bottom 2 copped a bit more . I think the flaps did a good job of tipping it nose down. These are all reduction geared engines . I'm not sure it needs a bulk strip but certainly the front section will need scrutiny. There should be a way of extending the gear manually in the event of a hydraulic failure. Expensive little exercise.

Crash Landing is a generic term for any not normal arrival where obvious damage happens. It tells you very little in aviation terms. Gear up landing is what happened here. Not that unusual and generally survivable. It's taught and practiced in the Sim with Airline types as part of your training. Usually with one or more gear not extending. There are alternate ways of extending landing gear if the hydraulics or other energising system fails. Ditching is done without gear down deliberately. Nev

• Agree 1

Still a lot of force exerted on the crankshaft through the bending of the blades. Actually if you look at the frames around 0.02, you can see the spinning blade hit the ground and then it stops.OME

At 0.01 the wheels appear to drop?

• 2 weeks later...