Piper damaged in outlanding at Camden Airport

Just before midday today (20/4/2017) a piper aircraft was damaged in an outlanding near Camden Airport (Sydney).

2 POB Survived landing, but condition not reported at time of post.

Ambulance and Helivac on site.

No fire. Aircraft on belly. Starbord wing destroyed. Looks like a PA-28 variant. Call letter not visible.

Pilot and passenger injured in plane crash

OME

Outlanding!I thought that term was reserved for glider crashes/paddock landings.

'Outlanding' for a glider, is landing when there is no more lift available to sustain progress. It is NOT a 'crash'. It is a routine occurrence, where a pilot has to select a landing site that is not an airfield and it happens all the time in cross-country flights when the conditions are not as expected ( or hoped for..)

I have ended up sitting discontentedly in fields on a number of occasions, beside a perfectly serviceable glider. 66% of those, I flew out of with the assistance of a noisy aircraft at the other end of a rope, the rest I had to be trailered out. NO GLIDERS were harmed in any of those incidents.

Glider pilots commence learning about the inexorable connection between their height, speed, glide angle and point of arrival with the earth from their first flight - and every landing is an affirmation of that knowledge. It's no 'accident' (pun intended) that gliders are almost NEVER 'crashed in unaccessible terrain', 'lost in the trees' etc. - they don't go where that could happen.

The noise out the front, isn't infallible. The laws of physics are.

If you are flying in a powered aircraft and you are reliant on that power continuing for safe transit of the extremes of your glide angle/point of arrival, then you are gambling on the reliability of the source of power. In a single - any single- that's a 50-50 bet.

How many power pilots fly over unlandable terrain for their position on the assumption that they have a revolver against their temple that has two chambers and only one of them has a cartridge in it?

• Like 1

'Outlanding' for a glider, is landing when there is no more lift available to sustain progress. It is NOT a 'crash'. It is a routine occurrence, where a pilot has to select a landing site that is not an airfield and it happens all the time in cross-country flights when the conditions are not as expected ( or hoped for..)I have ended up sitting discontentedly in fields on a number of occasions, beside a perfectly serviceable glider. 66% of those, I flew out of with the assistance of a noisy aircraft at the other end of a rope, the rest I had to be trailered out. NO GLIDERS were harmed in any of those incidents.

Glider pilots commence learning about the inexorable connection between their height, speed, glide angle and point of arrival with the earth from their first flight - and every landing is an affirmation of that knowledge. It's no 'accident' (pun intended) that gliders are almost NEVER 'crashed in unaccessible terrain', 'lost in the trees' etc. - they don't go where that could happen.

If you are flying in a powered aircraft and you are reliant on that power continuing for safe transit of the extremes of your glide angle/point of arrival, then you are gambling on the reliability of the source of power. In a single - any single- that's a 50-50 bet.

How many power pilots fly over unlandable terrain for their position on the assumption that they have a revolver against their temple that has two chambers and only one of them has a cartridge in it?

Those of us who do fly over terrain not suitable to land on are well aware of the risk

Height is your friend on this one, I have crossed the great divide many a time and probably the longest time I would have is 5 minutes max when no options are available forward, back and off to the sides, at all other times I remains within gliding distance of grassed valleys / cleared areas and high country roads

But I take this as a minimal risk as usually the engine has been performing perfectly for 35 minutes before getting to no mans land and if it is going to fail in that 5 minute period well I'm just Sh!t out of luck then

I would never dare fly over the divide at tree top level or even a 1000 or 2 foot above it, most times I'm 4 1/2 or more above it

Every time we fly we take a risk, every day we drive we take a risk, actually every day we wake up to tackle the day ahead is a risk of something happening

Minimising the risk goes a long way in every way

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

'Outlanding' for a glider, is landing when there is no more lift available to sustain progress. It is NOT a 'crash'. It is a routine occurrence, where a pilot has to select a landing site that is not an airfield and it happens all the time in cross-country flights when the conditions are not as expected ( or hoped for..)I have ended up sitting discontentedly in fields on a number of occasions, beside a perfectly serviceable glider. 66% of those, I flew out of with the assistance of a noisy aircraft at the other end of a rope, the rest I had to be trailered out. NO GLIDERS were harmed in any of those incidents.

Hence the inclusion of paddock landings - my point was a powered aircraft does NOT have an "out landing" - it is a forced landing at best at least in my termoniligy anyway. Not pointing at gliders, just termoniligy.

Hence the inclusion of paddock landings - my point was a powered aircraft does NOT have an "out landing" - it is a forced landing at best at least in my termoniligy anyway.

I'm with you Frank

The engine stopped and he was forced to land otherwise if it kept going he wouldn't have landed in that paddock

My apologies. I used the word "outlanding" in an attempt to distinguish what looked like a controlled landing with a bad stop, from the end result of a "plummet from the skies". Please bear in mind that I posted within half an hour of the incident, without having attended the scene, so I was trying to be as non-committal as I could. Besides, when the fan stops turning properly, you find yourself in a glider, anyway.

OME

• Like 2

My apologies. I used the word "outlanding" in an attempt to distinguish what looked like a controlled landing with a bad stop, from the end result of a "plummet from the skies". Please bear in mind that I posted within half an hour of the incident, without having attended the scene, so I was trying to be as non-committal as I could. Besides, when the fan stops turning properly, you find yourself in a glider, anyway.OME

Your always forgiven OME

If you were a Young Man Emu!!! Well then it might me a different story

• Helpful 1

I often wondered whether you mangled the English language on purpose, Neil. Better watch out, with these new citizenship requirements, you might find yourself deported.

• Haha 2
  • Helpful 1

frank I don't use that spel check thing as that in my opinion shows how dum your brain and eye site is neil

I often wondered whether you mangled the English language on purpose, Neil. Better watch out - with those new citizenship requirements, you might find yourself deported.

• Helpful 1