Anyone Flying around with a Dog and How was the First Flight.

Firstly- before the jokes hit - not talking about your partner

Secondly - not taking about the types of aircraft that are dogs

Thinking of taking my dog (husky) for a fly. Have ordered some ear protection for him.

Have a full walking harness and will clip into seat belt to restrict movement.

Have thought of doing a few taxi strip runs up to see the reaction etc.

Anyone here have any experience with flying with there pet and how they got started and introduced the experience.

• Like 1

Firstly- before the jokes hit - not talking about your partnerSecondly - not taking about the types of aircraft that are dogs

Thinking of taking my dog (husky) for a fly. Have ordered some ear protection for him.

Anyone here have any experience with flying with there pet and how they got started and introduced the experience.

Took my shitsu up and she loved it

2076525727_typhoon62359.JPG.32e045a78962d64aa477311883a07a1b.JPG

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Firstly- before the jokes hit - not talking about your partnerSecondly - not taking about the types of aircraft that are dogs

Before you tell the world what you are going to do and certainly before you put anything on youtube be sure what you are doing is legal. The following Civil Aviation Regulation is pretty clear about animals on aircraft and I can find nowhere that says RAAus is exempt from this regulation but happy to be proven wrong.

CIVIL AVIATION REGULATIONS 1988 - REG 256A

Carriage of animals

(1) Subject to subregulation (8), the operator of an aircraft may permit a live animal to be in the aircraft only if:

(a) the animal is in a container and is carried in accordance with this regulation; or

(b) the animal is carried with the written permission of CASA and in accordance with any conditions specified in the permission.

Penalty: 25 penalty units.

(1A) An offence against subregulation (1) is an offence of strict liability.

Note: For strict liability , see section 6.1 of the Criminal Code .

(2) Subregulation (1) does not apply to a dog accompanying a visually impaired or hearing impaired person as a guide or an assistant if the dog is:

(a) carried in the passenger cabin of the aircraft; and

(b) placed on a moisture-absorbent mat as near to the person as practicable; and

© restrained in a way that will prevent the dog from moving from the mat.

• Agree 1

Cool ... if your visually impaired you can take your dog! Maybe i should take one along ? Just to help with my landings .. one woof for lined up, two for left , three for right. With my luck i would have a dislexic dog!

• Haha 1

Flew with 'Bennie' my Springer Spaniel well leashed in the back of a C-172 long ago.. . .the alternative was to leave him locked up in the house for four days when a 'Friend' changed his mind at the last minute and wouldn't doggysit. He was quite happy apparently, and there was no sign of any 'Leakage' on the outward and return journeys. ( 350 NM round trip )

I guessed that there would be some regulation against this, 'For Helath and Safety reasons' there always are. . . So I didn't Ask !

But with some commonsense and adequate restraint there was no distress displayed by my dog. A good guide to his attitude was that after we were transported from our acommodation back to the farm strip we had landed and parked at,. . .he ran to the aircraft and sat expectantly next to the door ! I did a proper W+B check, my svelte self,. . my two Daughters and one of their friends, plus the pooch were well inside the envelope, and Big daughter was First Officer and NAV assistant ( 10 years old then ) Wifey had gorn on ahead by road as she refuses point blank to fly in a 'TOY' aeroplane. . . .

I saw a news clip about a UK farmer who owned a chunky Microlight called a Microflight Spectrum, ( UK Made ) who had his dog sitting in the side by side open sided cockpit with his lead tied to something. If anyone from the CAA quietly said anything to the chap about this, it was never mentioned on TV !

Before you tell the world what you are going to do and certainly before you put anything on youtube be sure what you are doing is legal. The following Civil Aviation Regulation is pretty clear about animals on aircraft and I can find nowhere that says RAAus is exempt from this regulation but happy to be proven wrong.CIVIL AVIATION REGULATIONS 1988 - REG 256A

Carriage of animals

(1) Subject to subregulation (8), the operator of an aircraft may permit a live animal to be in the aircraft only if:

(a) the animal is in a container and is carried in accordance with this regulation; or

(b) the animal is carried with the written permission of CASA and in accordance with any conditions specified in the permission.

Penalty: 25 penalty units.

(1A) An offence against subregulation (1) is an offence of strict liability.

Note: For strict liability , see section 6.1 of the Criminal Code .

(2) Subregulation (1) does not apply to a dog accompanying a visually impaired or hearing impaired person as a guide or an assistant if the dog is:

(a) carried in the passenger cabin of the aircraft; and

(b) placed on a moisture-absorbent mat as near to the person as practicable; and

© restrained in a way that will prevent the dog from moving from the mat.

$hit. . . .that means that everyting I like is either :

1) Illegal. . .

2) Immoral. . . .

3) Fattening. . . .

If you are of a certain age or you've been around aircraft for a while then Reg 256A (2) should let you self classify your pooch as an assistant dog.....

The reason squares were invented was to give people something to think outside of.

• Like 1