Commute to work?

Hi folks

I'm just wondering whether anybody on here uses their aircraft for a daily commute to work, and if so whether there are any particular challenges or considerations I should be made aware of...

My wife and I both work in Darwin which is a two hour drive from our home ( just too far to drive daily) while only about a 40 minute flight. We are wondering whether (if it becomes possible for RAA to navigate Controlled Airspace), we should fly in for two or three days a week.

I've been thinking about fuel, landing fees, parking charges ( both aircraft and car) and of course the problems of getting caught out by bad weather and having to overnight in town or drive home. Here in the Top End, certain times of year make for very unpredictable flying conditions and so there would always need to be a plan B.

But whatever way we look at it, the numbers seem to suggest it would make financial sense to fly in a few days rather than continue renting a property in town (which is what we currently do).

Anyway, am I overlooking something obvious here? Anybody have practical experience of commuting to work in their aircraft?

Comments?

Cheers Alan

I have done it on several occasions, albeit for short periods of time. Unless the airstrip is where you work you will need a second vehicle at the airstrip. The timeto care for the car (fuel etc) and tying down the aircraft only seem to make it quicker if the vehicle journey is over around two hours. It is somewhat stressful to always have your eye on the weather and winds. But it is more fun than driving

Don't know the details, but there was a doctor who used to fly between Melbourne and Benalla in his Ted Smith Aerostar. Don't know if he flew up to operate at Benalla hospital, which is only a couple of blocks from the airport, or how many days a week he did it.

In the lower latitudes you need a Night licence for the shorter days - take off before dawn and return after dark. Also handy to have a car at each end. Particularly if there is a problem and you need to drive home or to work. Plan B!

If you think it is going to work out, then see if the Council / Airstrip operator offers an annual landing charge, rather than a per use basis; saves paying Avdata every month. I would be making a contribution if there was no landing fee; if I was landing on a regular basis, particularly as I would not be a rate payer or Aero Club member, hangar owner etc. Keeps everything sweet.

I did a short commute at my expense for a short term assignment in a remote area, but I had camp accommodation when ever I wanted it and the strips were less than a 1km from each, but my NVFR was essential for morning & evening flights - we worked 12 hours - so you must watch fatigue. I wouldn't have relied on it for a longer period or for longer distance.

• Helpful 1
  • More 1

I can't see where flying would be economic, for simply holding down a job - unless that job paid like a politicians salary. If you placed a value on the sheer pleasure involved in flying, and getting up flying hours and experience, perhaps you could justify it.

I have a farmer friend whose farm is 285km SE of Perth by road. He's an avid flyer, he started out in microlights in the early 80's, upgraded to ultralights and is now into GA with a PPL and VA-registered aircraft.

He flies to Jandakot from his farm on regular occasions to visit the city for urgent machinery part/s procuration, and to visit other family members. He keeps an old banger of a car at Jandakot for running around the city.

I have little doubt it's a costly exercise overall, but he justifies it as regular major savings to his farming operations by reducing part replacement delays - and he also gets a tax deduction for a large majority of the flying costs.

I have other farmer friends who operated light GA aircraft and who gave them up and sold the aircraft, as they reckoned they couldn't justify the major costs involved.

RAA aircraft have certainly lowered the operating cost of running an aircraft, but once you start intruding on GA operations and paying the associated costs, that's increasing your overall costs.

Bottom line is, flying is not cheap, no matter how you try to do it, and it is fraught with weather restrictions, particularly for light aircraft.

Don't know the details, but there was a doctor who used to fly between Melbourne and Benalla in his Ted Smith Aerostar. Don't know if he flew up to operate at Benalla hospital, which is only a couple of blocks from the airport, or how many days a week he did it.

Mr Michael,Long, an eminent surgeon who served the RFDS for 41 years before retiring, routinely flew IFR between his property south-west of Benalla and Essendon. He had a sealed airstrip with PAL lighting and often flew his twin in fairly atrocious weather to,attend emergencies.

Kaz

Hi folksI'm just wondering whether anybody on here uses their aircraft for a daily commute to work, and if so whether there are any particular challenges or considerations I should be made aware of...

My wife and I both work in Darwin which is a two hour drive from our home ( just too far to drive daily) while only about a 40 minute flight. We are wondering whether (if it becomes possible for RAA to navigate Controlled Airspace), we should fly in for two or three days a week.

I've been thinking about fuel, landing fees, parking charges ( both aircraft and car) and of course the problems of getting caught out by bad weather and having to overnight in town or drive home. Here in the Top End, certain times of year make for very unpredictable flying conditions and so there would always need to be a plan B.

But whatever way we look at it, the numbers seem to suggest it would make financial sense to fly in a few days rather than continue renting a property in town (which is what we currently do).

Anyway, am I overlooking something obvious here? Anybody have practical experience of commuting to work in their aircraft?

Comments?

Cheers Alan

Perhaps you should look at basing an older vehicle at Emkaytee? You can arrive <2500' and it's just a short drive into Darwin. Makes more sense if you can claim a tax deduction such as would be the case if you are working at home and in Darwin.

Kaz

As a FIFO worker, it is something I've considered several times, should I decide to put in for a job in Qld, but the problem becomes one of liability. So far as I'm aware, in Queensland, you are still covered by workcover between home and work, and your employer's insurer might have something to say about you choosing to fly. Of course, this doesn't apply in NSW or WA where there is no such coverage between home & work.

The other thing there, is depending on your job, there may well be fatigue management requirements that need to be met, ie no flying after a 12-hour nightshift, you need 8 hours in bed before flying/driving yourself anywere - but this is employer dependant.

I have known FIFO/DIDO miners who wanted to commute in their own aircraft and land at the Mine's private strip. Most Mines said No, on the basis of either security (not having to go through the gate house - drug & alcohol testing), liability (uncontrolled private ops on their strip), fatigue (you can sleep on the bus, at the camp or at the terminal, but not piloting a plane), beyond imagination (just didn't understand - so better to say NO).

There was a guy who crashed just out of Roma flying his aircraft to work at a northern mine, weather related, if I remember. Commuting like this has an element of "Push-on-itis" and "I've done this a hundred times ..." and "this weather usually clears ... " Because of the speed of flying, Plan B (the car) is usually not a comparable option, so the prudent pilot is left to ring with apologies that he's going to be 4 hrs late, won't be home tonight etc.

Reality of driving to the strip preflight and refuelling aircraft, 40 min flight( depending on wind),arriving at other end, tying aircraft down then transport to work place, I think will not be less time than simply driving, but on good days more fun.

Drive 10 min

Preflight and refuel 45 min

Taxi and flight 50 min

Tie down 10 min

Transport to work 15 min

Comes to 2hr 10min!

• Like 1

Ive done a fair bit of this type of flying

It has to be personal use or you may be breaching RAA/CASA view of the certificate. This is debatable but a fine line to walk.

You cant clharge money for the flight,

However ATO couldnt care less about CASA and costs are deductible just like expenses on vehicle or the accom you're avoiding.

It works for me only if the flight is over around 1.5 hrs or 4 hrs drive in my experience. - See Planesmaker post above.

OR you really enjoy it OR these a good reason like dangerous road etc.

You WILL get stuffed around A LOT with weather, so work needs to be flexible with this and every so often you will commence drive at the planned take off time making you pretty late.

Think about what this means when you get stuck at work end needing to drive home......no car.

As far as costs go, its almost same $ per km as running a large 4x4 for the same trip (which many in these areas do anyway).

Once you throw in a time rate $/hr and some overnight costs it stacks up very well.