Dunkirk

I don't think too many Brits will be worried about the authenticity of the flying shots; I'm a member of a Scottish site and someone posted a magnificent photo of a Spit standing on emerald green grass beside a castle.

There were no comments on it so I wrote the tag "Tiger Moth".

Not one person has corrected me in the past two weeks!

I don't think too many Brits will be worried about the authenticity of the flying shots; I'm a member of a Scottish site and someone posted a magnificent photo of a Spit standing on emerald green grass beside a castle.There were no comments on it so I wrote the tag "Tiger Moth".

Not one person has corrected me in the past two weeks!

Must be an English castle.

rgmwa

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the film a lot.

Although.. I would have to say that I was scoping that enjoyment against today's cinema trends. Not something I could put a finger on, but just a sort of acceptance that you're not going to get a classic action or war movie these days and it could have been a lot worse you know?

Didn't really disappoint, but also didn't really go anywhere, probably 7/10 just for the enjoyment side of things and it not being a superhero movie. Not a movie to add to the "must see before you die list" but something special in the scope of the last few years.

They (writers/producers) should have made that spitfire pilot a central hero type.

Girlfriend, wife, or children awaiting his return, would have put a missing interest subject into a very good war movie.

spacesailor

I saw the film and was disappointed at the lack of boats which were used to rescue the troops from the beach.

I would have thought that many small boats would have volunteered to be in the film free of charge, even if it was only a few aerial shots.

Alan.

I saw the film and was disappointed at the lack of boats which were used to rescue the troops from the beach.I would have thought that many small boats would have volunteered to be in the film free of charge, even if it was only a few aerial shots.

Alan.

That's actually a really good point. Fair enough they only focus on the crew of one boat - there's already three different stories to follow lol - but getting a big flotilla shot would, I naively assume, have been pretty easy to raise, and could have been a great cultural/educational event outside of the film.

On another track, I was thinking earlier that I actually really liked the sounds they put in inside the cockpit - all the shaking and rattling definitely added a great level of depth over the classic cinema style of an actor sitting in a silent model cockpit with engine and gun noises dubbed over. Of course I won't know how accurate that sound is for a spitfire of the era, but it definitely added a great depth to the experience as a viewer (& WW2 warbird twitcher)

"would have thought that many small boats would have volunteered to be in the film free of charge, even if it was only a few aerial shots."

Sydney on NewYears day.

All the boats free to film.

My boat got on a film accidentallyin Sydney, also when the DC aircraft went into Botany-Bay, I was there as well!.

spacesailor

• 4 months later...
making of aerial scenes

Thanks for providing that link -:)

I enjoyed the movie but not as much as I had hoped. I guess having an aviation background can work against you where as when the Battle of Britain movie came out I was just a boy who loved planes but knew little -:)

O

The original BoB movie was awesome, but I wouldn't mind if it was digitally enhanced to correct a few authenticity issues that 1960s technology couldn't fix, eg. by replacing the Merlins on those Spanish 109s and 111s with DBs.

Oh it was pretty good back then to a wide eyed young boy who had stars in his eyes-:)

• Agree 1

Yep i went and saw the movie. And yes they used the the spanish version. who knows how many second a spitfires guns would fire if you held the trigger till they ran out of bullets

Not long,. . .45 seconds of continuous fire perhaps . . have not checked wiki on that. . .