What Apps do you use?

Hey all,

So just about to finish my Nav endorsement and so will be heading out into the deep blue soon enough, so just wondering what Apps you guys use in the cockpit?

Obviously there is OzRunways - I use that, but what else? Share with us what else you have loaded up in the cockpit!

Cheers

J

I use Avplan, but find it very frustrating in a bright cockpit. The Garmin 196 is best for the actual flight and use Avplan just for a map while flying. What I really need as Avplan or OzRunways with a complete lock on the screen, so that an accidental touch won't send it off on a wild goose chase.

Today I was nearing my destination, but unable to see the screen, so I dismounted the iPad and see that I am way off track. It had put in another destination, nothing to do with my plan. Probably I touched it in a ticklish spot.

• Caution 1

Windy.com for preflight planning, AVPlan on iPad mini on a kneeboard in the cockpit, Garmin Aera 500 in the panel. All good (apart from the Garmin requiring me to remove a backplate to access the mini-USB port to transfer plans from my PC! This requires a screwdriver...Poor design IMO)

HTH

Neil

• Like 1

Hi Neil,

I have the Garmin also, and was just looking how I get it to update maps etc. :(

Why not look at leaving a cable in it permanently and then just tuck away when not using it.

Hi Neil,I have the Garmin also, and was just looking how I get it to update maps etc. :(

Why not look at leaving a cable in it permanently and then just tuck away when not using it.

Hi BD,

I guess I could do that, but it means the battery is exposed, which doesn't really do it much good........ I still think it's crap design 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Cheers,

Neil

I use Avplan, but find it very frustrating in a bright cockpit...Today I was nearing my destination, but unable to see the screen, so I dismounted the iPad and see that I am way off track.

I know what you mean, Yenn. I once followed a red line on my OzRunwy for half an hour before I realised the ground below was unfamiliar. In the glare had mistaken a nearby Restricted Area boundary for my track. I was only a degree or two and a few miles off course, but it was embarrassing. After that I repositioned the iPad between my knees, under the panel; no glare.

• Haha 1

OzRunways on IPAD pro and Iphone 6+, no problems with glare or readability in sunlight.

Ozrunways is very intuative and easy to use. Buy the subscription from the OzRunways website and not the Itunes store. They have got a free 3 month trial subscription. Screen lock is nice function.

OzRunways have got WindyTV and BOM radar embedded in the app

Played with AVplan on a friends IPad and did not like it.

• Agree 1

I use Avplan, but find it very frustrating in a bright cockpit. The Garmin 196 is best for the actual flight and use Avplan just for a map while flying. What I really need as Avplan or OzRunways with a complete lock on the screen, so that an accidental touch won't send it off on a wild goose chase.Today I was nearing my destination, but unable to see the screen, so I dismounted the iPad and see that I am way off track. It had put in another destination, nothing to do with my plan. Probably I touched it in a ticklish spot.

AvPlan does let you turn on, or off, the ability to edit the flight plan on the screen? The default is off, so you would need to touch a spot and add it as a waypoint. Not that easy to do accidentally?

I have used both OzRunways and AvPlan. Changed to AvPlan years ago and love it. It gives weather displays clearly on the map, and highlights active prohibited areas. I have a glare filter on my iPad and find it readable in a glary RV cockpit. I also use MyFlightBook on my phone to keep my log book. Makes it so easy for she who traditionally struggles to remember to put flights in the log book.

• Agree 2

I use Avplan, but find it very frustrating in a bright cockpit. The Garmin 196 is best for the actual flight and use Avplan just for a map while flying. What I really need as Avplan or OzRunways with a complete lock on the screen, so that an accidental touch won't send it off on a wild goose chase.Today I was nearing my destination, but unable to see the screen, so I dismounted the iPad and see that I am way off track. It had put in another destination, nothing to do with my plan. Probably I touched it in a ticklish spot.

Hi Yenn

On the top bar of the map page you will see a lock icon - tap that and all your dreams come true!

• Like 1

I hadn't thought about the lock button. Will try it. snarf its a bit hard to find a shady spot in an RV, it's like sitting in a goldfish bowl. Great visibility.

snarf its a bit hard to find a shady spot in an RV, it's like sitting in a goldfish bowl. Great visibility.

I mostly fly a SportStar that I rent from a local flying school, that great visibily does come at a cost.

I used to fly with an Ipad 2 and the glare made it very hard to use in flight. Upgraded to an Ipad pro earlier this year and do not have any issues with glare or readibility in direct sunlight.

I hadn't thought about the lock button. Will try it. snarf its a bit hard to find a shady spot in an RV, it's like sitting in a goldfish bowl. Great visibility.

Hi Yenn, I have an anti-glare screen protector on my iPad. Helps enormously with the glare in my RV. May be worth a try.

get "AeroWeather light" (IOS) or "Avia Weather" (Android) for clear-text aerodrome weather. It's like ATIS on your screen.

aeroweather tells me no data available for Moorabbin. Is there a trick I'm missing?

I've just tried Essendon and east Sale. Same result? European ones all seem to work though. Just realised NAIPS is still down. If that's where they get the info that might explain it. AvPlan is showing TAFs and METARs though.