Vertical Stabilizer - Who needs one?

The main purpose of that giant rudder is engine out control. It's got a fair bit of keel surface behind the CofG otherwise it would have been a different story. There's one of these complete in Darwin to see at the Museum. It's a fairly grim design when you have a good look at it. Built for a job with no frills. 24 hour A bomb readiness with a spectacular drop technique that stresses the airframe somewhat. Nev

I thought he was about the most boring speaker that I have ever listened to.

Makes a nice change from the usual emotive gibberish that is usually spoken in that country.

Stark difference between that and another doco where an F-15 pilot gets all teary describing how he felt when ejecting, no facts, just feelings.

Ben, they used to fail both on one side below 100' with 2 critical VMC(a) figures applying, one after the other, when I started. Bit unreal (dangerous) but there you are. They wouldn't have them there if they didn't have to as they cause drag. Might also have something to do with yaw/ roll oscillations (dutch roll) and yaw damper function at high altitude. Nev

• Informative 1