Melbourne built "Flying Car"

red750

Channel 7 Melbourne News featured a story on a "flying car" built in Melbourne. The model shown was a single seat minimum helicopter that could be driven like a motorbike. Below is a video of the first flight copied from the maker's website. Interestingly it shows no marking for either road or aircraft registration, despite being driven on public roads, and flown around a paddock.

Pegasus International

A proposed development is shown below.

342219272_PegasusSclass.JPG.970ca2c1d93f75b54445926da1f3eb2c.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The price tag mentioned in the story was $200K.

Hmm. So that'd buy me a top-notch 2-seater LSA, leaving well over $100,000 to buy whatever car I wanted and probably enough left over for a hangar on the local strip.

Yeah - not seeing it.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

I can't see the whole flying car thing happening. Can you imagine CASA allowing taking off or landing just anywhere?

None of these things are going to be both a good car/bike or an efficient aircraft & at the price tags being talked about it is going to be alot cheaper to do as we do know & have a proper car as well as an aircraft that suits our needs.

• Agree 1

I have enough trouble trying to stop my vehicles being sideswiped, and run into, from front, side or rear - in every area from carparks, to on major highways.

So, on that basis, the very idea of a flying car has about as much sense as a wheelbarrow with wings.

Let's get right away from the idea that cars and aircraft can be combined into one, or into the same operational areas. It just isn't ever going to happen.

We will always have ground transportation, and air transportation, and never the twain will meet. Not in the last 100 years, nor in the next 100 years, IMO.

The problem with 'flying cars' | Autocar

And the humorous view from Cracked ....

Why Don't We Have Flying Cars Yet? Well, Here's The Thing...

It just isn't ever going to happen.We will always have ground transportation, and air transportation, and never the twain will meet. Not in the last 100 years, nor in the next 100 years, IMO.

The problem with 'flying cars' | Autocar

Well... "never say never". Imagine if future research into gravity waves found a way to cancel or direct gravity in a localised area. All of a sudden wheels are so last century.

• Agree 2

Thats pretty cool...pity you need to spend another 50K to get a heli licence

What the heck, can't you tell the difference between a helicopter and a flying car? That is clearly not a helicopter.

...and you'd need a red flag on the tail rotor whenever you drove, to keep the tailgaters from bending it.

The proposal helicopter, I mean flying car, yes flying car, is a counter rotating helicop, errr flying car without tail rotor.

And it's good to see China has it's very own, home-grown, Steve Moller style of BS-artist - with his stunning ability, to produce a Hover Car, that can move around without even generating air displacement! 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

And it's good to see China has it's very own, home-grown, Steve Moller style of BS-artist - with his stunning ability, to produce a Hover Car, that can move around without even generating air displacement! 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Is it just coincidence that this VW flying car is from Bex's city... could it be that this "Aussie guy from Logan" is in fact a teenage Chinese girl??

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1