Viability of regional and rural airports under threat amid costly counter-terrorism measures

fly_tornado

Expensive full-body and baggage screening are expected to be included in soon-to-be announced counter-terrorism measures instituted at regional and rural airports across Australia.

In response to a terrorism plot to smuggle a bomb aboard a flight at Sydney Airport earlier this year the federal government is set to reveal major security upgrades in January.

Aviation security consultant Roger Henning told The New Daily that scanning technology might be “overkill” at some regional airports and the technology must be treated as a tool, rather than a solution to fight aviation terrorism.

The expected upgrades come amid concerns some airports may not survive financially, especially in remote locations.

He said small rural and bigger regional airports were more vulnerable than capital city airports to terrorism, noting that “if you’re generous” only 300 people out of the 300,000 people who work in Australian airports had security-awareness training.

Counter-terrorism measures set for rural and regional airports

• Agree 1

I just hope that these experts don't get to hear that there are thousands of private airstrips out there. And none of them are "security protected".

Well, that explains why TRC are wanting to offload Pittsworth and Millmerran.

I get really skeptical when people start talking about "awareness training", as I have been exposed to many different types of "awareness training", and never has it been any more than an expensive , time wasting, box ticking exercise that generates income for parasites who put together training packages.

As an aside, I flew into Wagga earlier this year, on a regional airline, and nowhere else have I been as thoroughly searched and was tested for explosive residue.

The security is ridiculous, we taxiied in, parked next to our broken down helicopter, went into the terminal, were processed, got our hire vehicle and tools, then proceeded out the gate, 3-4 k's down the road and into the RAAF base, where we opened another gate with our key and drove to the spot not 50 metres form where we disembarked in the first place.

We then reversed the whole process after sending our heli on it's way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

That is probably on their 'to do' list as well.

They have probably only prioritised, disposing of Millmerran and Pitsworth because that will involve spending money, but you can bet that developing Toowoomba is on the cards.

i have seen letters in the paper from concerned locals who cant understand why Toowoomba is still open now that Wellcamp is operating, and besides it's only used for training and recreational flying now.

Time to dust off Michael Leunig's "What to do if you spot Elvis" emergency fridge magnet, maybe???

Someone, somewhere must have a copy....I can't find it online.....(

Reading the article I got the sense security screening was there because the the risk that a pax commencing their route from a regional airport (e.g. Mildura) to some destination (e.g. London) requiring them to transit through a major airport (.e.g Tullamarine) and that for some reason where there is no security at the origination airport, the bags and pax can embark without thorough screening a the major airport onto their longer flight.

It seems eminently sensible to have security screening for these flights.. the alternative is to do it at the major airport, but the argument may be that a bomb could go off at any time. Though, if I attempt to bring a bomb with me when the flight originates from the major, I guess it could go off in the car/taxi/bus/train, in the terminal or anywhere in between.

Also, the chances of someone packinga bomb in rural Aus???

Potential problem - yes.. Right answer to address it? Not really.

• Like 1

Comprehensive pre-screening of all ticket purchases is an effective action to reduce risk. 'Blind Freddy' could identify who the major risk groups are. The problem is that the country is run by PC weak-spined persons that will not do anything that might offend various minority factions. Heaven forbid anyone should suggest risk profiling!

The whole aviation security issue falls down at the weakest link. Who really believes an ASIC has any credibility?

• Agree 4

I agree - it's the implementation that is the issue. Over 'ere, the regulators (even EASA for private GA) are now talking about proportionality - is the requirement proportional to the risk? They till err on the side of caution in many instances, but things are moving in the right direction. ASIC/AVID is an example of where there is a risk someone will use light aircraft to perpetrate a terrorist act but the response is both disproportionate and ineffective, especially when considering one is allowed to fly by merely applying for either card. The response has to be more like here - intelligence and surveillance - not security cards. Also, even if security challenged a terrorist fir the ASIC, they would probably meet their end fairly quickly.

But that is my point with the security measures at regional airports - disproportionate requirement to meet the risk,

• Like 1

Cant involve international flights, bags and people cant be booked on at regional centres as far as I know

Bags have to be rechecked and scanned in international point of departure.

Theres politics in this too, smaller carriers are arguing against it as it isnt required for smaller aircraft like Saab but is required for Q300 and above.

Qantas, running larger types, push for it for everyone and it makes smaller airlines task a little harder and more expensive.

Cant involve international flights, bags and people cant be booked on at regional centres as far as I knowBags have to be rechecked and scanned in international point of departure.

Maybe this is what the whole thing is about?

Airlines wanting streamlined baggage handling all the way through..... Scanned at your regional departure and then pick up your boogy board in Bali!

I did think it was strange that checking from regional flights would carry through to larger domestic or international flights and on re-reading the article, maybe I read too far in between the lines. That said, the reason espoused by @jetjr seems to be more probable..

It feels surreal that I would be thinking that GA is heading the way it is here in the UK for no plausible reason at all other than corruption... Pollies and corporates looting public services of a more niche nature than others for their benefit seems to be the only plausible reason.

[edit]Would 4 corners care enough to do an expose(ay) [/edit]

Comprehensive pre-screening of all ticket purchases is an effective action to reduce risk. 'Blind Freddy' could identify who the major risk groups are. QUOTE]I take it you mean young, long blond hair, blue eyed like Australia's worse terrorist?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Regarding Toowoomba City YTWB, it was built on a toxic waste dump then various aviation related pollutants (oil, leaded petrol, probably some fire fighting foam too) would have been dropped or washed on to the ground since the late 1920s.

Anyone wanting to shut down the airport and re-purpose it would need to

• Sequester the toxic waste (e.g. cap it)

• Get rid of or move RFDS and LifeFlight services; and

• Cancel the leases of all the tenants including the aeroclub

TRC can do whatever it wants and the aerodrome really isn't ideal in terms of encroachment. Selling it off will provide a big sugar hit in the budget but getting rid of all its aerodromes leaves just Wellcamp for emergencies and aerial firefighting.

If LifeFlight isn't based at Toowoomba City, draw your own conclusions about what that will mean to the sick and injured kids in the bush who need to be transferred to the Royal Children's Hospital ... by helicopter.

The same comments apply to aerodromes like Birdsville, Emerald or Archerfield.

If TRC want to turn Toowoomba City aerodrome into a convention centre they had better be sure they aren't trading one small set of manageable problems for another larger set they never considered and don't know how to handle ... Like for example traffic flows during a major event or a lack of water capacity

• Agree 1

Cleaning up YTWB is a big job and the contract will be lucrative, just right for the newly cashed up Wagner Group.

Just move Life Flight chopper facility out to the new hospital they are building at Bailey Henderson.

It's a great site for a shopping centre, located on the edge of the growth zone