Where to find extra thick foam microphone covers

SDQDI

G'day

I have recently purchased a helmet and changed my Zulu headset to be for my pax but I have been having issues when flying doors off with the mics opening constantly with the wind even though they are adjusted as far as possible for squelch/sensitivity. I was wondering where I can find some thick foam covers? I did make some out of some foam I had handy but they barely helped.

The Zulus aren't as bad as the helmet but are still annoying.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as long as they don't include "put the doors back on"035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif or "pull the plugs out"054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

G'dayI have recently purchased a helmet and changed my Zulu headset to be for my pax but I have been having issues when flying doors off with the mics opening constantly with the wind even though they are adjusted as far as possible for squelch/sensitivity. I was wondering where I can find some thick foam covers? I did make some out of some foam I had handy but they barely helped.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as long as they don't include "put the doors back on"035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif or "pull the plugs out"054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif

I have got them from Ian's site shop before.

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

G'dayI have recently purchased a helmet and changed my Zulu headset to be for my pax but I have been having issues when flying doors off with the mics opening constantly with the wind even though they are adjusted as far as possible for squelch/sensitivity. I was wondering where I can find some thick foam covers? I did make some out of some foam I had handy but they barely helped.

Or if you don’t want to smell old ugg boots try these.

Lightspeed Leather Mic Cover - Item No: LS-Leather Mic Boots

Seem to work ok in open cockpit aircraft.

• Helpful 1

Oregon Aero also do a mic cover with the holes. They make a difference, but the biggest difference I found was using a high noise mic. I can have a normal conversation in the Drifter with both, and I have had some favourable comments from others about the surprising clarity from a Drifter cockpit.

• Like 1

All helpful suggestions!

I have ordered a couple of open cockpit ones from Ian and a couple of leather ones as well so I have all my bases covered. I had been searching for foam mic covers but was only getting the generic mic covers not headset mics. So I appreciate the help.

The only ugg boots I can find belong to the better half and at this stage I don't want her to give me the boot, I will dig around and see what else I come up with.

I will test all these when they arrive and post the results here for others with a similar dilemma.

Oregon Aero also do a mic cover with the holes. They make a difference, but the biggest difference I found was using a high noise mic. I can have a normal conversation in the Drifter with both, and I have had some favourable comments from others about the surprising clarity from a Drifter cockpit.

Is it much of a job to swap mics out?

I will try these covers out first but that may be a better permanent solution.

Is it much of a job to swap mics out?I will try these covers out first but that may be a better permanent solution.

Dunno about the Zulus but most are just two screws.

I have found this guy to be good to deal with:

Pilot PA-HNM Aviation Extreme Noise Electret Noise Cancelling Microphone

Edit: just looked at Zulus, may not fit.

• Helpful 1

As an alternative simply go down to your chemist and get one of those finger protectors, then just cut a small hole in it at the spot closest to your mouth.

• Like 1

I have tried cutting the thumbs off all motor bike gloves and punching holes in , in line with the mic element. With a normal 3mm thick muff under neath. Didn't work

I then took a foam rubber pot scourer and shaped it on a belt sander and drilled a hole down the centre and placed this over the leather boot. Didn't work

I then bought wind muffs that musicians use that are made for mike assemblies much larger than what we need. Didn't work

I tried 2 wind muffs over the whole caboodel and finally started to get some where.

I took it all apart and blocked the forward facing hole in the leather boot with tape and reassembled the whole lot and it .... you guessed it, didn't work it was worse

I have tied Sennheiser S1 Digital a Sennheiser S1 passive and no luck.

So as a trike pilot I am happy to share my tale of woe and if any body can help I am also looking for a solution

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally have myself sorted to a satisfactory level.

To start with I put the open air foam one over the top of the standard foam one that came with my helmet but that didn’t help at all so I removed it and put the leather one over the standard foam one and that was marginally better but still horrible so I put the open air foam one over the leather one which was still over the standard foam one and that has made it perfect for me.

In normal flight I get no unwanted mic opening UNLESS I put my head out in the breeze. The gentle airflow inside even with the doors off doesn’t seem to affect it at all so I am now happy:thumb up:

• Like 1
  • Informative 1