Elon Musk Flight to Mars ?

Channel 9 News Report: Plane engine falls apart mid-flight from San Francisco to Honolulu:

In a terrifying equipment malfunction, the outer shell of the engine on United Airlines UA1175 fell off and left the inner workings exposed to the elements - wait for it - while thousands of kilomtres (sic) in the air

Hell, they couldn't even spell 'kilometres' correctly...

and this too:

It is not known how the engine fell apart, with authorities expected to investigate the plane.

My God......."OK plane, you're under investigation - why did you shed that engine cover - hmmm?"

BP

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • More 1

Meanwhile, back to Elon Musk's sports car drifting thru space. There's been much discussion about how long our aircraft last here on earth. When some future cosmonaut happens upon the capsule containing that red electric convertible, they should be able to drive it around Mars, after topping up the batteries.

Perhaps the ultimate time capsule.

• Like 1

What's out there in space to damage this car?

Massive doses of cosmic radiation that we don't get on Earth due to the filtering effect of our atmosphere. Temperature variations that go to 127º C when facing the sun, while the shaded areas drop to -173º C.The metals in the vehicle will withstand these extreme impacts for quite a few decades, but the car is probably 40% thermoplastics and other rapidly-degradable materials, that won't last long when regularly impacted by radiation and those temperature extremes.

You only have to examine any vehicle abandoned outside with no cover, to our weather on Earth, to note that it's badly damaged after only 12-15 years exposure to the elements.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Caution 1

Massive doses of cosmic radiation that we don't get on Earth due to the filtering effect of our atmosphere. Temperature variations that go to 127º C when facing the sun, while the shaded areas drop to -173º C.The metals in the vehicle will withstand these extreme impacts for quite a few decades, but the car is probably 40% thermoplastics and other rapidly-degradable materials, that won't last long when regularly impacted by radiation and those temperature extremes.

You only have to examine any vehicle abandoned outside with no cover, to our weather on Earth, to note that it's badly damaged after only 12-15 years exposure to the elements.

Looks like all those duco manufacturers missed a golden opportunity to test their products.

• Haha 1

I'm no scientist...but I would imagine that oxygen and liquid plays a major part in erosion and ageing on earth and that the materials would age better in the vacuum of space regardless of temperature. Of course if it is hit by space debris that may be different.

• Caution 1

Winsor68 - I was under the impression that UV light and radiation did as much, if not more, to decompose man-made materials, than oxygen and liquids such as water did.

Yes, the dryness of space would certainly eliminate corrosion caused by water and oxygen - but the much stronger cosmic rays outside Earth would soon break down the organic molecules, the epoxy resins, polypropylene, polystyrene, polyvinyl chloride, nylon, and rubber, that comprises a very large percentage of the Tesla.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

how about that engine cover coming off that aircraft - every single person on that side of the aircraft had their phone out taking pictures and videos - man that's so typical.

one of these days when I'm in a restaurant and someone takes a call from Obama and says (in a loud voice) "yes, I am having the lobster" I am going to get up, take it out of his/her hand, chuck the damn thing out the door and say "YOU WANNA TALK TO OBAMA, DO IT OUTSIDE"!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M JUST SAYIN'..........

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

and yes, I will be arrested, but it will be worth it.........

It's amassing how many people are on the phone when out to a meal or ed even just in company.... What are you doing on there? Saving the damn world?

• Agree 1

Am I the only person without a mobile phone?...My wife has a mobile phone but it doesn`t often get used, it sits in the glove compartment of our car, in case of an emergency when we`re out driving.

Fantastic device and it certainly is a benefit to society in many ways! Like a lot of things, it comes down to how the individual chooses to use it.

Police officer’s leg amputated after crash in western Sydney

Frank.

Channel 9 News Report: Plane engine falls apart mid-flight from San Francisco to Honolulu:In a terrifying equipment malfunction, the outer shell of the engine on United Airlines UA1175 fell off and left the inner workings exposed to the elements - wait for it - while thousands of kilomtres (sic) in the air

Hell, they couldn't even spell 'kilometres' correctly...

and this too:

It is not known how the engine fell apart, with authorities expected to investigate the plane.

My God......."OK plane, you're under investigation - why did you shed that engine cover - hmmm?"

BP

Credability of media reports on anything???? Zero

• Agree 3

I have lost count of the number of times I've seen a car coming towards me, not staying centered in their lane, then you see the car zip on by - with the driver LOOKING DOWN...

there's only one reason why these morons are looking down and that is because they are texting or dialling or doing something else with their damn mobile phone

I have enjoyed the sports of skydiving and paragliding, and now my "dangerous" ultralight - and I always tell people the most dangerous factor in any of those pursuits is driving to the take-off point (and home again)

BP

• Agree 4

Am I the only person without a mobile phone?...My wife has a mobile phone but it doesn`t often get used, it sits in the glove compartment of our car, in case of an emergency when we`re out driving.Fantastic device and it certainly is a benefit to society in many ways! Like a lot of things, it comes down to how the individual chooses to use it.

Police officer’s leg amputated after crash in western Sydney

Frank.

"..........am I the only person without a mobile phone?..... "....... YEP!003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Like 1

:angry:Dog collars....er, mobile phones...how the Mrs keeps track of you. She hates it when I leave it at home. And pest calls worse than spam emails - creditors complaining that my payments are overdue. I primarily use it to text the codeword to the Cashcow, but the beggars never call me. Everybody else, but not me. Damn! 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif I used to have one of those little basic cheap phones where you had to press a key up to four times to type a letter -PQRS-. Just swithched to an old hand-me-down iPhone 5. Still getting the hang of it. 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif035_doh.gif.20945f41f6940e42c02c6776496d81c2.gif

• Haha 1

Winsor68 - I was under the impression that UV light and radiation did as much, if not more, to decompose man-made materials, than oxygen and liquids such as water did.Yes, the dryness of space would certainly eliminate corrosion caused by water and oxygen - but the much stronger cosmic rays outside Earth would soon break down the organic molecules, the epoxy resins, polypropylene, polystyrene, polyvinyl chloride, nylon, and rubber, that comprises a very large percentage of the Tesla.

Nah.

The vehicle will survive long after he goes broke. I get hucksters calling me to invest in Tesla "have you heard of this company?", I tell them unfortunately I know too much about it and would get an equal return plus some warmth from setting fire to bank notes.