Oops

Just watched "The Crown" season 2, episode 9 - there's a few scenes with a lovely Junkers JU 52. This episode was set in 1936.

Anyone spot the problem in this shot? (Hint - I've put a red circle around it).

P1100721.JPG.ed2ac099a86c2889aa3fe865e84f4817.JPG

I agree. This is the most expensive TV show to make... ever. In every other scene, I can't pick anything out of time - cars, architecture, clothing (apart from the offending 1938 jacket, thanks Mids) - there's never been anything anachronistic.

Then you get a bloody AN-2 parked there at least 11 years too early... there's been a heap of nice aircraft on this show, they've obviously got aviation experts for advice - but they missed this one. Either that, or they couldn't find the owner to move it, and had to make the shot...

Guest Guest
I agree. This is the most expensive TV show to make... ever. In every other scene, I can't pick anything out of time - cars, architecture, clothing (apart from the offending 1938 jacket, thanks Mids) - there's never been anything anachronistic.Then you get a bloody AN-2 parked there at least 11 years too early... there's been a heap of nice aircraft on this show, they've obviously got aviation experts for advice - but they missed this one. Either that, or they couldn't find the owner to move it, and had to make the shot...

Whilst that's all somewhat true don't forget this show is aimed at everybody, only a very small percentage of viewers are aviation savvy. 99% of viewers wouldn't know an AN2 to a TigerMoth!

I know Gravity - but if you haven't watched this show, it's worth it just for the aircraft. They've used many period aircraft - you can find the list here - The Crown - The Internet Movie Plane Database

Point is, until that scene they did a superb job of keeping everything in period, so that one stuck out like dog's balls.

I can't believe this!! All the talk is about the AN-2? - yet no-one has noticed the most glaring and grating dress error, ever seen, in any movie before or since!!

The bloke carrying the suitcase is wearing a light brown overcoat over grey trousers!! 037_yikes.gif.9a64ebbf1bd0ab78266ef9f42a443789.gif

My God! Doesn't anyone know, that that glaring colour clash, is totally unacceptable!! How could those wardrobe people, do this?? 003_cheezy_grin.gif.a3ff7382d559df9a047d5e265974e5f3.gif

Vintage Fabrics & Fashion Illustrations from the 1930s — Gentleman's Gazette

The thing that always stands out for me with old movies is the horse and carriage. Always set in a lovely green grassy background with earth tracks for the carriage wheels. No track for the horses hooves and in real life the track for the hooves was always bigger than a wheel track and also usually deeper. Don't ask me how I know about such things.

Foxtel has been showing all the Oscar winnners. In 1928 it was Wings, a WW1 flying epic. Thought lost, a print was rediscovered some years ago. Remastered, the quality is amazing. I have never a seen a silent movie that held up to modern standards like this. Well worth watching if they show it again.