Southwest passenger dies following cabin decompression

Its amazing how much damage an airliner can take and still keep flying.

In this case, there doesn't appear to be much structural damage to the aircraft. The engine - certainly, but not the aircraft. And consider Boeing design their aircraft with fuse pins in the pylon so a catastrophic engine failure that threatens to endanger the aircraft will fail the plugs and the engine will fall away from the wing. Hopefully...Now, Aloha 243 was another story...that was impressive!

In this case' date=' there doesn't appear to be much [i']structural[/i] damage to the aircraft. The engine - certainly, but not the aircraft. And consider Boeing design their aircraft with fuse pins in the pylon so a catastrophic engine failure that threatens to endanger the aircraft will fail the plugs and the engine will fall away from the wing. Hopefully...Now, Aloha 243 was another story...that was impressive!

Routine Inspection should have picked up the cracking in the fuse skins between the flush rivets though to be fair. . .aircraft which carry out short hops all their working lives go through loads more pressure / depressure cycles than longhaul routes,

, and following this incident, I gather that the inspection regime was altered to reflect the number of pressure cycles on a particular airframe.

Its amazing how much damage an airliner can take and still keep flying.

It is indeed, although the damage suffered by the 747 which had a side cargo door blow off, ripping into the passenger cabin above, and sucking out two rows of three seats was the worst I'd ever seen. . .the Pax / seats went Through the inboard No 3 engine ( horrific ) but the machine was able to maintain control and make a safe landing with a huge hole in it's right side. . . .Phenomenal. And all caused by corrosive urine from a leaking lavatory causing a short circuit in the ''C' locking system motor controlling the cargo door, Which was the only door which opened outwards and could not be retained by internal pressure as all the other doors are. Freaky accident which nobody could have predicted in fairness. . .

For 'Uncontained' engine fail damage,. the most spectacular incident would have to be the DC10 incident in the US, where all of the flight controls were severed when one of the rear mounted engines failed causing a large component to scythe through all the hydraulic lines. . . .that's a peach and still available on youtube if you have not seen it. Brilliant use of assymetric power only, saved a heck of a lot of lives.

Sorry, I don't have a link to hand.

Guest Guest

Whilst the pilots where just doing their job it's a lot diff than doing the same manuver or procedure in the Sim. Every time I went in the Sim over many years I always wondered how I would react under real conditions, most likely a very high level of "oh sh1t " factor would have been present. Job well done to the crew.

Now we have a Hero Pilot. Heroism is a step up from bravery, how was she not just doing her job?

The terms are misused and abused by the media on a daily basis. I don't know what they'd do if somebody actually omitted an act of heroism.

The poor woman who was sucked out the window is a good reminder not to unbuckle your seat belt as airlines tell you during the safety briefings. If she had been restrained by the seat belt it is highly likely she would still be alive IMHO.

The poor woman who was sucked out the window is a good reminder not to unbuckle your seat belt as airlines tell you during the safety briefings. If she had been restrained by the seat belt it is highly likely she would still be alive IMHO.

A rather brash assumption and not the smartest of comments; as it might appear from various reports that bloody injuries were also involved. The recommended 'loosely fastened seat belt' is more suited for turbulence, not for explosive decompression.

Listening to a short clip of the ATC comms with the Captain, she appeared to me to be quite measured and 'Matter of fact' in her replies to ATC, only emphasizing that 'A piece of the Airplane is missing'

Guest Guest

I found the audio between ATC and driver rather odd. I guess real life ugly situation unfolding added to the unusual conversation.

I found the audio between ATC and driver rather odd. I guess real life ugly situation unfolding added to the unusual conversation.

Just listened to a couple of clips myself. Some might suggest that it was a guarded conversation due to awareness of being monitored by the news services, I might be a little less charitable and ask if it really was an aircraft captain speaking......

Guest Guest
Just listened to a couple of clips myself. Some might suggest that it was a guarded conversation due to awareness of being monitored by the news services, I might be a little less charitable and ask if it really was an aircraft captain speaking......

That's all quite possible. I've had to upgrade hundreds of times to Med 1 status & kept the details pertinent & basic. ATC and the world listening don't need to know everything.

Certainly ATC doesn't need to know anything for a Med 1, had plenty of those sorts of situations and its solely the call of the pilot. Blown engine, explosive depressurisation and partial pax ejection probably requires slightly more elaboration.

Belt on at all times, always did but even more so after a nasty turbulence flight that saw a few people go flying.

A very tight belt also supports your back on long flights, and if you extend it all the way, I can put it around my shins with my knees under my chin and sleep for a short time in less discomfort than some other positions.

Reports from passengers on board suggest she was in fact wearing her belt, but when you have several hundred cubic meters of air at 8PSID trying to force you out an opening a foot square it's not going to end well if you're in close proximity to the opening.I'd also suggest consideration be paid to the captain of BA5390 who had the cockpit window fail and was drawn outside the aircraft, though in this case, he survived. I dare say the skipper had his belt on too....

I guess when you are half hanging out of an aircraft at 32,000 ft doing 800kph your chances of survival are very slim, not to mention the traumas your body has gone through squeezing out that window in the first place.

One very unlucky lady to be honest

I'd also suggest consideration be paid to the captain of BA5390 who had the cockpit window fail and was drawn outside the aircraft, though in this case, he survived. I dare say the skipper had his belt on too....

FWIW, HERE's the accident report from the BA accident. And yes, the Captain did have his belt on, though had loosened it during the climb.

The media were at it today. Saying Top gun pilot lands aircraft. And it was the right person in the right seat i guess that would make her the FO.

'Sammy Jo' did indeed fly F-16s during her career, and whether she was the captain or 'The Handling Pilot' she sounded 'cool as a cuke' on that atc recording.