MTOW with parachute?

If I buy a 600kg MTOW LSA with a ballistic parachute, does it get an extra allowance to 620kg or so? I remember this was once the case but don't know if it still holds. Where do I look for the reg?

..the only exception was floats

That exception alone defies logic on its own -  a MTOW for a particular design is simply that i.e. a MTOW.

One could argue if extra weight for floats is sound then extra weight for fuel should also apply, considering the landing weight with fuel would not be exceeded.   Then naturally the MTOW ceases to be a MTOW.

The 600kg MTOW is a class limit as opposed to the safe certifiable weight limits of many LSAs.

CAO 95.55 states that light sport mtow is 600 kg for a land based a/c & with floats 650 kg.No extra allowance for a BRS.

Does that mean that when operating the aircraft off an air field using wheels the mtow is 600kg and for its operations off water it'  mtow is 650kg?  (Flight is takeoff on floats and return landing on water.) Cheers

The definition is equipped to land on water, so floats fitted, not an expert on floats but most appear to have wheels fitted for land ops, so in that case you’d be able to operate at 650 kg, 

That exception alone defies logic on its own -  a MTOW for a particular design is simply that i.e. a MTOW.

One could argue if extra weight for floats is sound then extra weight for fuel should also apply, considering the landing weight with fuel would not be exceeded.   Then naturally the MTOW ceases to be a MTOW.

The 600kg MTOW is a class limit as opposed to the safe certifiable weight limits of many LSAs.

I've been told that floats actually create some lift so are fairly neutral in terms of the lift they create balancing out the extra weight, so if that's true it makes sense that they can go over MTOW.

However I'm guessing there must be some restriction on maneuvering with floats?

I completely agree. If an aircraft is designed for a particular maximum weight, adding floats should not alter the design limit. It is a strange rule.

Therefore, staying with the realm of being illogical, if there can be a whopping 50 kg leeway for floats, why not 15 or 20 kg for a ballistic chute?

I completely agree. If an aircraft is designed for a particular maximum weight, adding floats should not alter the design limit. It is a strange rule.

Therefore, staying with the realm of being illogical, if there can be a whopping 50 kg leeway for floats, why not 15 or 20 kg for a ballistic chute?

Because the 'chute will not provide the 15-20kg of extra lift to balance the extra weight, whereas floats apparently do.