Cheap aeroplane

Yenn

I looked at one which was for sale and based at Truro Flats , whilst there was plenty of room for a large pilot, the rear seat passenger would have difficulty in exiting the aircraft if in an accident where the pilot was incapacitated.

Alan.

I

Stone the Crows Yenn. Do you still talk in stones,bushells and cwt..? What's that in Cms and Kilo's? (and I'm older than You). Nev

I've never conformed neither Nev its still feet and inches , miles per gallon horsepower and such .

Bernie .

I use both and do lots of screwcutting as well so I'm converting both ways often. The younger set aren't trained in the old stuff.. It's not their fault but we should remember that about 1/2 won't have a clue what you are talking about. The USA are still in inches. They must be about the last who are, Perhaps that's one of the reasons they have difficulty being competitive. Nev

Yes, I always worry about anything I buy from the USA, some are in metric and some are still not.

Does not help with trade, but as soon as their economy picks up some orangutan starts a trade war, points a gun to the head of its friends and invites a burgular over for dinner.

Stone the Crows Yenn. Do you still talk in stones,bushells and cwt..? What's that in Cms and Kilo's? (and I'm older than You). Nev

Centimetres are not an SI unit. The International System of Units uses millimetres and metres - NOT centimetres. So if we're going to do it metric, we ought to do it properly. . .

Bruce

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I think it was at one time, the CGS( Centimeter Grammes Seconds) system. (Distance, mass, time). The meter/ metre was a prime unit supposedly being a fixed number of them to circle the earth at the equator..

Height is in inches or Cms. Weight is in Kilos or Lbs. Liquid in litres or gallons. for the average person they are the most familiar units for common use, or basis for conversion.. Nev

You're probably right, Nev. I just had it drummed into me in my days as a student engineer that centimetres were used by shopgirls, not engineers. (Yes, we really were that sexist in those days - remember?)

But since we also calculated on slide rules using such wonderful units as slugs and poundals, all those dull metric units seemed pretty boring anyway. Just rather more logical.

• Like 1

It's all a bit of a mess. Metric threaded spark plugs are in inches of thread length. As for pressure and torques I give up. But I really am metric/Imp pretty equally. I can "think" in either. in normal Building sizes tyre sizes and clothes, height etc. I still use thou's for bearing/piston clearances. Science tended to be metric. At one time the French were really leading in many engineering things. Early last Century.. Nev

I think it was at one time, the CGS( Centimeter Grammes Seconds) Nev

I am lucky enough to be at school when the changeover came, so I learnt in both, and it was defineately centimeters to begin with, then they soon went to millimeters.

Does not help with trade, but as soon as their economy picks up some orangutan starts a trade war, points a gun to the head of its friends.

You mean "friends" like Germany who charge 10% duty + 19% tariff = 29% on imported American (and Australian) cars, while in return America charges 2.5% (Australia 10%) ?

Some friends.

There may be some questionable answers happening, but the questions are solid, the same questions Australia should be asking about our own trade generosities/imbalances.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
How many use a combination of both....such as....3ft 27cms? etc.

I have seen a guy measure a road roller for transport at 3 metres 10 inches long, using one of those tapes that have both side by side.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Caution 1

I saw a Hipps J3 kitten with a trailer for sale at $15k two weeks ago. Can't remember exactly where but not near me. It was flown weekly and looked like great fun. I wondered for a minute if I could just get it to follow me home but I have nowhere to store it and nowhere to fly it