Engine search

stol1

Just Landed! Am located stateside. Building a zenith 701. I am a better than half way. Looking for engine options, I have some subaru Ea-81's, and 82's. Have looked at Jabiru. Only looking at 4 stroke, close to 100 h.p., decent rate of climb, dependable, and reliable, easy to get parts, all at an affordable price in the U.S. Sound crazy? Ideas?

G'day STOL1,

Welcome to the site.

I'm also building a 701 and starting to get to the pointy end. Have done a lot of thinking about engine options - even considered the BMW motorbike engine with the TakeOff redrive - but for me it all comes back to Rotax.

Reason is, they've got the best reputation for reliability in the 80-100hp size, they've got proven form with 50,000 + engines sold, and they pop up fairly regularly for sale second hand.

I agree they're hellishly expensive new - more so over here than for you guys in the US - but I see ex-flying school ones with 1500 hours come up for around $7,000 here, which is less than 1/3 of new price.

Whatever you decide on, good luck with it! Hey we love build pictures too...

Cheers, Marty

The Jabiru engines are good. 2200cc 80hp 4 cylinder and 3300 120hp 6 cylinder.

I have been using the 2200 for 15 years and no problems. Run on Avgas LL for reliable fuel.

The engines come with carbie, exhaust, separate plenums for each bank of cylinders for cooling.

Have a look at the Sonex site for US users.

• Like 1

No personal knowledge of these but they look good. I think they tick all your boxes!Aeromomentum Aircraft Engines, LSA, Experimental, Airboats, Aircraft Gearbox, 100hp, 117hp

I see they also have fwf kits for the 701 too..

Only problem with using this engine is that it would be a total waste not to use an acrylic/Perspex/polycarbonate top and bottom cowel. Hope you haven't gone and already made the cowls?

I meant 0-200 D. I've seen a few with "Ordinary" Continentals out of Cubs etc but many are rather tired and heavy. The 0-200 D is as light in weight as can be done with that motor. Nev

I meant 0-200 D. I've seen a few with "Ordinary" Continentals out of Cubs etc but many are rather tired and heavy. The 0-200 D is as light in weight as can be done with that motor. Nev

I was led to believe it was too heavy still, based on some Zenith forums.

Still 199 lb dry weight, according to Zenith. This compares with 140 lb (63.8kg) installed weight for the Rotax 912ULS.

That's fine for the 600kg LSA market, but the 701 is a 500kg MTOW aircraft, so that extra 26.4kg up the front would make a big difference.

12 Kg's more. I'd rather take a few Kilo's off than ditch the idea of a simple well proven motor. I've seen the earlier and heavier 16-F's complete with ton weight starter and generator in Zenith s and all rusty and with broken head fins as well. The 200 D would be fine with a wooden prop or a carbon one. Nev

• Informative 1

Well that's a bugger, perhaps I should have bought that wrecked Skycatcher from Tyabb a couple of years ago... $16k would have been cheap for a low hour engine and all glass instruments.

168FFF35-4CC1-4F42-A736-678A95BDCC3D.jpeg.bd76ea3fe70751f3e62c7321080bffc5.jpeg I have a 2200 Jabiru in my CH701 and I am totally happy with it. Lighter, simpler, cheaper than the Rotax. Any difference in take off distance over the 100hp Rotax is so small as to be negligible unless you are flying in and out of incredibly short strips. Any problems that the engines had in their early days have been pretty much fixed. There are a lot of Jabirus on the airfield that I fly from and they perform well. If you look after (properly maintain) them they will look after you.

The jabiru engine is certainly light enough. The type of plane you have would benefit from a bigger and thicker prop so a geared Rotax should be better (certainly in theory).. and the Continental. The trouble with Rotax is cost of bit's and all the pipes, plus Lifed on time and if you neglect the rubbers that hold the carbs on you have a problem with reliability and carb balancing they get rough running on part load. It aways seems difficult to get the engines running hot enough without risking boiling when the OAT changes a lot as it does on a long trip. Adjustable cowl flaps ? Nev

There is a bit of a story to that. My registration is VH-ABG, it was first issued to what was the last remaining Short Empire Class Flying boat in Australia it was named Coriolanus who was a Roman General in a Shakespearean play I believe. I named my plane Coriolanus ll and hence the picture of the Roman.

• Informative 1

Just Landed! Am located stateside. Building a zenith 701. I am a better than half way. Looking for engine options, I have some subaru Ea-81's, and 82's. Have looked at Jabiru. Only looking at 4 stroke, close to 100 h.p., decent rate of climb, dependable, and reliable, easy to get parts, all at an affordable price in the U.S. Sound crazy? Ideas?

If you decide Jabiru might interest you, there are a couple of videos of my take off and landing on the fb group ‘Show us your landings’

Ah, always knew that all the rumours about you Aussies were wrong - really you're terribly erudite and well-educated, what? And I bet you down your tinnies with your little pinkies up too 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

There is a bit of a story to that. My registration is VH-ABG, it was first issued to what was the last remaining Short Empire Class Flying boat in Australia it was named Coriolanus who was a Roman General in a Shakespearean play I believe. I named my plane Coriolanus ll and hence the picture of the Roman.

• Haha 1

Ah, always knew that all the rumours about you Aussies were wrong - really you're terribly erudite and well-educated, what? And I bet you down your tinnies with your little pinkies up too 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Yep, we put the "rude" in "erudite".

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Not sure if you are just being a sarcastic bastard or what, but I’ll take it as a compliment! Scottish education and a lifelong interest in aeroplanes probably helped. Just as an aside, I have a brother who lives in the Dordogne, we have visited a few times and absolutely love that part of the world. Last time we were there we visited ‘L’aeroclub de Brive’ but there was no one there!