Kneeboards.

I suffer from premature anticipation...looking for a waypoint ten minutes before it is due, then convincing myself I can see it. Fortunately I know that I do it, so can have an argument with myself.

• Like 3

Same here; once mistook Picton coal mine for a water reservoir south of Sydney.

Also mis-identified an expanse of white far ahead as Leslie Dam, when it was acres of bird netting covering fruit trees near Stanthorpe...

Same here; once mistook Picton coal mine for a water reservoir south of Sydney.

Also mis-identified an expanse of white far ahead as Leslie Dam, when it was acres of bird netting covering fruit trees near Stanthorpe...

Most people will have those experiences, and that's where ground to map reading practice helps.

After reading your replies on several threads turbo, I'm convinced you have NO IDEA what an EFB is and what it does....

Just so no one is confused, we are talking about airmanship when your Ipad freezes, runs out of battery, and you forgot to bring the spare, charge the battery, load the software etc.

• Agree 1

While flying in a group I've had one bloke reporting his iPad losing power, no paper map and he was lost...

It can happen.

It doesn't even have to be that......I've been out with a perfectly serviceable iPad, but clearly the GPS was incorrect and had my position wrong by nearly 10NM, it corrected itself within a few minutes, but that's long enough to make a radio call announcing a wrong position. I find myself constantly checking where I am against ground features on the map to ensure they correspond with where the GPS says I am.

I know people who are quite comfortable navigating from the east coast to Western QLD using the compass app on an iPhone.

There are a few GPS receivers (not antennas) that Bluetooth to your ipad.

I use one called a DUALXGPS150 and there is another one called GARMIN GLO,

Both work very well and are not expensive.

Have a look at website SPORTYS PILOT SHOP.COM and they have detailed descriptions and reviews of these products

I had a Garmin GLO a few years ago. Ditched it for the DUAL and have been very happy with this.

Here's a story for you Was in the back seat of an AS350 (ADF Helicopter School one) as a student with another student and instructor in the front We were Canberra for Merimbula one student and reverse for the other as a final Nav sortie before our test I remember the instructor saying to the student just after he made a definite position fix.. "mate see that big blue thing out there in front of us? What is that?" "It's the ocean sir... ""Where is that on your map mate???" " "Ummmm can't say for sure its not on there sir!"!! "OK sooo do you think you may have the wrong WAC ENTIERLY?" Yes possibly sir it probably should be I there ... " so are you sure about to that position fix?? Yes sir it works out look here see that town and that road.....

Hi MachtuK,

I like my AvMap EFIS - the screen is a little on the small side, making some of the information a tad hard to see (for us mature old farts). The cumpass is ra real pain to set up/swing (cant understand why all 4 points of the cumpass must be set). It has a lot of features that I dont use, being strictly day VFR. The AH, which is the view, I mostly use is a bit slow to react to changes in attitude. I like the fact that I have great instrument "redundancy" for X countries (OzRunways/ Garmin GPS/AvMap/wet cumpass and finally paper map). Back to the AvMap - it looks good on my panel giving it a more "competent" look, a fun thing. It probably doesnt really enhance my flying ability/performance in any way but was relativly cheap and easy to install.

Hi Skippy

What GPS are you using pls? Do you have to link this to the ultra or is there an inbuilt one?

Can you provide more info on the GPS antenna you say you use with your iPad?

Thanks

The GPS receiver I use is called a 'Bad Elf' - it is about the size of an egg and it also has a Bluetooth connection to your ipad. It will service up to 5 devices so you can have it on your aux' EFB or phone. Cheers!

Just so no one is confused, we are talking about airmanship when your Ipad freezes, runs out of battery, and you forgot to bring the spare, charge the battery, load the software etc.

I did a (GA) BFR a few years ago and as I was setting myself up in the cockpit I got my ipad out and placed it in the holder on the right hand yoke (P28-140) the instructor admired all of this and said "O.K for the purpose of the exercise your ipad has failed - what are you going to do know?" Well I said - reaching into my nav-bag I guess I will use my spare ipad! He said okay then - fair enough - at least you have an option!

Now I only fly RA but I must admit I don't carry a chart with me as I mainly just fly locally (withing 20-30 nm) but if I do intend to do a travel flight I have an old VNC with me, a Garmin GPS that is both battery powered and ship powered, my trusty ipad with OzRwys and finally - just in case IOS lets me down - an Android tablet with Rwys on it! The gear doesn't weigh that much and I ensure it's all updated at home before I leave, I find that a paper map is a P.I.T.A in a small cockpit - particularly when I was sooooo clever and had them all laminated! - now I need my own body-weight in Bulldog Clips to keep the thing in check!

But following this thread - I find it amazing that people still manage to become "Geographically Embarrassed" or not know what frequency they need to be on.

By all means use the paper maps for ab-initio skills but modern training should include proper use of an EFB - they are not that expensive (compared to getting a licence / certificate) and with ADSB etc on some platforms it is yet another tool to enhance 'situational awareness' - something that seems to be becoming a lost art.............

• Like 1

Guest Machtuk

2 X iPads, 1x iPhone ( all with Oz Rwy's), Jepps subscription, up to date WAC charts and I also take a screen shot of multiple portions of my OzRyws track from A2B finally onboard Garmin GPS coupled to the A/P, I think I have it covered?? If I get lost I deserve to be!?

If you draw a track 185deg from William Creek and run south for 48 NM, you come to a corner in the dog fence where it turns 90deg from north to west. It’s pretty much on the track from Leigh Creek to Coober Pedy.

Last time I went through there, I was very impressed to find that the little aeroplane on OR flew over the corner just as the Auster did the same in real time. No nearby phone towers to jolly the gps position But blue-toothed to the Dual GPS so this was extraordinary accuracy from a system we are not allowed to rely on because it’s not certified.

I carry a second IPad, run a Garmin, carry marked up charts, and I reference ground to chart to be sure of where I am. I use clock and compass so everything else is a bonus. Oh, I do cheat, because I set my DG from the Garmin and just check the compass occasionally as it swings around in the thermals. Knowing where the sun is and where it ought to be helps, too.