Aero-initiative at work

kaz3g

I read both Pilot and Flyer, am on three UK forum sites and check all sorts of websites and never heard of them untl today - an Aussie forum. Maybe I was wilfully blind to them. They are looking for a liaison officer - may give them a call to keep my brain going at the moment..

If it's needed in that tiny little island (and works with their dodgy weather) you'd think it should be in our huge continent, which hasn't the efficient rail and freeway system of Britain.

No time like the present to start one... Need to get some funds and a structire and register the organsation. I can imagine many people and hospitals/emergency services needing support anyway. I guess, though, as Aus has less demand relatively speaking than the UK for PPW etc as COVID-19 has largely been contained, the demand in this case would be a lot less.

• Like 1

If ever there was a Country built for aeroplanes this is it. 5 days to drive across it and if you took everyone out who lived within 60 miles of the sea it would be practically empty.. UK takes about one day to drive from end to end and if you took out everyone within 60 miles from the sea it WOULD be completely empty because ALL of it is within 60 miles of the sea. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Yes - UK also has remote areas and some great islands.. and of course, the very big island off to the east (well, continent).. But in terms of reaching remote areas, there are a few that can only be reached by air or boat - most notably the Scilly Isles, Hebrides, and the Isle of Wight. And Lundy Island is popular with permit and smaller ends of certified GA. But generally, when people here say, for example, Exmoor is remote, I do have a chuckle.

That said, John O'Groats to Lands End would probably take two - or three days - traffic and wx dependent. [edit = just checked google maps c. 14.5 hrs drive at the moment.. but traffic is very light.. I was on the M5 yesterday and there were literally a couple of trucks each way for the stretch I was on (junction 25 Taunton - Junction 26 - Wellington).

• Like 1

...No time like the present to start one...

Australia already has at least two Civil Air Patrol units; they are affiliated with the NSW VRA, of which I have been a member for forty years. I’ve done aerial search training with Namoi Air Patrol, based at Narrabri.

It hadn’t occurred to me that they could help with ferrying medical supplies.

Edited by Old Koreelah
  • Like 1

In NSW there are small freight aircraft operating from sydney to Tamworth, Dubbo, Griffith and Merimbula and all stops in between return daily. These are still operating, I dont see why we need private aircraft competing with these commercial operators.

And the remote outstations are serviced by the flying doctor. But us lot could do deliveries of light stuff at a small percentage of the cost.

My guess is that a flying doctor turbo would cost about $10,000 for a 2 hour sortie. More like $200 for my Jabiru, that's 2%.

IF you want the privileges of dispensations don't try for a shortcut to Commercial. Back your commercial ops for Australian business's and Aust. pilots. That's ultimately jobs for those who wish to fly for a career. IF you fly for fun you fly when and where you choose to with the minimum of rules and restrictions. Don't muddy the waters. Keep the distinction and you will be better off. Nev

• Agree 3

And the remote outstations are serviced by the flying doctor. But us lot could do deliveries of light stuff at a small percentage of the cost.

My guess is that a flying doctor turbo would cost about $10,000 for a 2 hour sortie. More like $200 for my Jabiru, that's 2%.

King air or PC9 could carry 1 tonne of freight, Jab 30 kilo's?

• Agree 1

Unfortunately we are not allowed to charge for services rendered, would have to volunteer our services for free!.