Make your own wooden prop

Bruce Tuncks

6 hours ago, facthunter said:

Who makes the Kiev props?  Nev

Do you mean Kyivprop? Kiev firm Kievprop. But there are many manufacturers there. Unfortunately, they do not make wooden propellers there.

5 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

Pricey, but perhaps Meglin is thinking US dollars. Converting those 2,500 Aussie dollars is about $US1,650.

Yeah, that makes a big difference. And yet, it's significantly more expensive than my perceptions. So it seems to me that the performance must be incredible.

IF !

YOU chop your own props ! .

You can customise them , to whatever suits your airframe , take-off,   climb ,  cruise and economy. 

It appears a lot of smaller engines ' like ' a wooden propeller .

Also your wallet really likes them as too .

spacesailor

3 hours ago, meglin said:

Yeah, that makes a big difference. And yet, it's significantly more expensive than my perceptions. So it seems to me that the performance must be incredible.

Costs of manufacturing is expensive in Australia, especially anything that’s certified for aviation.

8 hours ago, meglin said:

Absolutely. But Australia has the most important thing - its own market. That's important. We had our own market too. But now we don't.

Oz has a local market of less than 30 million if you include NZ, with which we have fairly open trade. Ukraine is larger and when you join Europe it’s boomtime; your neighbours to the east will be a closed, shunned, backwater.

That's probably the way it's going to be. It is true that the standard of living of the population is very low. And our city is 35 kilometers from the border. My nephew from Moscow just flew to Sydney with his wife. He is a doctor of science, speaking at a conference. It's forbidden to leave our country, so we're cooking in our own juice.

• Informative 2

• 3 months later...

Finished a decorative propeller of minimal cost.  That's where we left off. Flaxseed oil with dissolved wax. I hope the Finnish customer likes it. Took a couple weeks to make - a bit long. But the customer will get it cheap.

11-.jpg

22-.jpg

33-.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LoonyBob said:

Does anyone know what Richard Sweetapple used as a clear final coat on his later propellors? PolyUrethane, Everdure, something else?

I have one but I don't know what it is. It seems to have lasted ok. There is someone in Queensland that took over sweetapple props. I got told they are still being made.

• Like 1