Future Plans for Melbourne - Plan Melbourne 2017-2050

The Victorian State Government has just announced the Consultation and Engagement phase of this proposed Plan which sets the future of all Council Plans in Melbourne for the future.

It includes the site of the proposed new Eastern International Airport.

It also classifies Moorabbin Airport as a Transport Gateway, and while both Moorabbin and Essendon Airports have tended to have a Wild West development because of the 99 year leases, the Planning force of the State Government will tend to preserve Moorabbin.

I couldn't find Essendon Airport in the Plans, although the stack of documents is huge and I could have missed it, but so far it looks as if by 2050 Melbourne will have three Airports, Tullamarine, Moorabbin and Koo Wee Rup.

Information Link: www.planmelbourne.vic.gov.au

Edited by turboplanner

• 3 weeks later...

YKWR will also affect Tooradin, Tyabb, Drouin. The class C will be miles everywhere with narrow vfr LL1500 corridors. No more close by Training areas, nor Aerobatics for all schools including Moorabbin unless moved further south over Phillip island or north over Lilydale, but there will be lots of fuel burning to get to get to closest class G where LL3500.

On the other side the benefits will be multiple for economy, jobs, passengers, but probably not so for general aviation. I used to be supporter of new airport on the eastern side, but not sure if I am anymore (yeah selfish:). Probably time to think about own farm with airstrip or airpark. 

Edited by Bosi72

What is a planner anyway. Someone who change their mind every 3 - 5 years. We already have a second international airport in Avalon situated between our two biggest cities in vic. Some planner didn't think we needed it and sold it on. The eastern area can easily be serviced by commuter shuttle from Traralgon.

• Like 1

Remember we are talking about politicians here, not known to be anything other than obstructive! Their tenure is short so decisions made now mean zip after a few years! Look at the Badgerys Creek debacle, another major drome SE of the rat race Melb is pie in the sky stuff for a very long time!

4 hours ago, Bosi72 said:

YKWR will also affect Tooradin, Tyabb, Drouin. The class C will be miles everywhere with narrow vfr LL1500 corridors. No more close by Training areas, nor Aerobatics for all schools including Moorabbin unless moved further south over Phillip island or north over Lilydale, but there will be lots of fuel burning to get to get to closest class G where LL3500.

On the other side the benefits will be multiple for economy, jobs, passengers, but probably not so for general aviation. I used to be supporter of new airport on the eastern side, but not sure if I am anymore (yeah selfish:). Probably time to think about own farm with airstrip or airpark. 

Some good points there; you can either email in a submission, or I think you may be an online submission somewhere on the documents.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mewp said:

What is a planner anyway. Someone who change their mind every 3 - 5 years. We already have a second international airport in Avalon situated between our two biggest cities in vic. Some planner didn't think we needed it and sold it on. The eastern area can easily be serviced by commuter shuttle from Traralgon.

Avalon was used in the past as a RAAF Military Base  which ended about the time when the Sabres were replaced and the strategy was to move to Williamtown/Qld to be closer to obvious threats.

Then it was contracted  for Pilot training on Vickers Viscounts, then after that success contracted to Qantas for 747 pilot training.

It's been ideal for big airshows because of the quiet traffic.

Then a few people, including Linfox have operated interstate/overseas flights as an alternative to travelling to Tullamarine.

The Planning process for many decades has reserved the area of rural land for the second major Airport for Melbourne; this current process is part of moving that intention forward.

One of the reasons for the location in the east is that Melbourne has an East-West traffic problem which slows access to Tullarmarine which gets worse the further you are for Tullamarine.

Regardless of politics, something (and more) has to be done. From my memory, half of Melbourne population lives on either side of Springvale Road, which is ~15km East from the city.  Melbourne is (un)fortunately city-centric, every freeway, every train line goes into the city. That puts a lot of pressure on infrastructure causing everyday's congestions. Politics is obviously playing a key role in planning as for example two big North-South highways (Eastlink and Sth Gippsland Hwy) don't have east-bound exits towards Traralgon at intersections with Monash Fwy?!

I think the long term solution is to "spread" the city, to build 3, 4 CBDs, eg. each in Ringwood, Dandenong, Frankston (with ~10 skyscrapers) similar to what they are doing in Box Hill. Then connect cbd's with the outer train loop. 

An airport on East side close to new cbd's is inevitable..

• Agree 1

Avalon was used a lot by TAA for B 727 training/checking as well as DC-9's. Earlier than that Mangalore was used extensively, with a bit at Essendon. I've done circuits  and other at Tullamarine in amongst the  normal traffic coming and going. Can be a bit hectic fitting in with other traffic. We had some good controllers there. A single engine approach on a B 727 is at least 50 knots faster than normal.. Nev

1 hour ago, Bosi72 said:

Regardless of politics, something (and more) has to be done. From my memory, half of Melbourne population lives on either side of Springvale Road, which is ~15km East from the city.  Melbourne is (un)fortunately city-centric, every freeway, every train line goes into the city. That puts a lot of pressure on infrastructure causing everyday's congestions. Politics is obviously playing a key role in planning as for example two big North-South highways (Eastlink and Sth Gippsland Hwy) don't have east-bound exits towards Traralgon at intersections with Monash Fwy?!

They weren't political SEITA was the road authority which designed the freeway system. Where they intersected major CBDs, if they built access roads at every major infrastructure they would be stop/start infrastructure roads and not freeways so they designed in conjunction with the LGAs (Councils) In the two cases you mention Eastlink Google Earth is showing a southbound lane to Monash Fwy, and South Gippsland Highway intersects with Princes Highway which flows into the extension of the Monash - the Gippsland Freeway.

1 hour ago, Bosi72 said:

I think the long term solution is to "spread" the city, to build 3, 4 CBDs, eg. each in Ringwood, Dandenong, Frankston (with ~10 skyscrapers) similar to what they are doing in Box Hill. Then connect cbd's with the outer train loop. 

An airport on East side close to new cbd's is inevitable..

That was the thinking in the 1970s, but Australian manufacturing has pretty much died out and you will pick up current thinking from these documents which are looking outwards a lot further based on the much faster population explosion and other current factors.

On 15/09/2021 at 8:08 AM, Bruce Tuncks said:

Leave Melbourne, guys and come to Edenhope. No traffic on a normal day.

I would appreciate some allies in trying to reinstate the old E-W runway. The N-S runway is 1000m of good bitumen.

Edenhope is a good airstrip, I usually do a few loads from there each summer. The CFA boys and girls there are top notch and do a great job. You load the bombers at all Bruce?

On 15/09/2021 at 8:08 AM, Bruce Tuncks said:

Leave Melbourne, guys and come to Edenhope. No traffic on a normal day.

I would appreciate some allies in trying to reinstate the old E-W runway. The N-S runway is 1000m of good bitumen.

Are you talking about the slightly diagonal line at the northern end.

A lot would depend on who owned the paddocks, but fire protection would be a good reason, particularly for fires pushed by strong westerlies.

WDEdenhope.JPG

1 minute ago, facthunter said:

How many will still be around in say 15 years. The average Joe or Jill couldn't care less and is often happy to see those annoying buzzing thing GO AWAY. We are a small minority.   Nev

That sadly is so true! Mr & Mrs Joe Public couldn't care less about what us rich folk do, pilots are rich & arrogant, to them!

They only think about pilots when they hear our/their voices on the PA during a flight to YBCG!