Flying during Lockdown

SGM

1 hour ago, BirdDog said:

587D2F3C-B55D-4BD6-A30A-EAF1A2CFD753.jpeg

4F8A3F56-5CF0-4A8F-A8F5-824A687E3E04.jpeg

From the graphs above, I reckon you could come to two conclusions.

1.  Given the skewed-to-the-right death distribution, the young may well ask "Why should we have our lives blighted in an effort to save a few more life years for the very old?" This is a rational and also reasonable position.

2. Given the skewed-to-the-centre case distribution, the young may well say "Wow, if long-covid is really a thing, our cohort has much more to lose (quality life-years) than any other. We've got to get totally on board with the best mitigation strategies and piss-off any (inherited)culture-wars BS that threatens good outcomes ... for ME."  An equally rational position.

Edited by Garfly
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Mild polio victims have some terrible after effects later in life. Long Covid seems similar. Gasping for air is not a nice way to die and it's affecting young  and middle aged people too. From first symptoms to an untimely death about 3 days. Like pneumonia or pleurasy. Nev

43 minutes ago, BirdDog said:

they don’t want to let unvaccinated in a pub. Ok Goodo. Let’s roll with that. 
99 vaccinated people in there, and the next guy walks in also vaccinated but has Covid. 
what was the point of keeping the unvaccinated out?  Was there any benefit to that?  

Simple; they have a duty of care to prevent a forseeable risk.

An unvaccinated person walking into their property is the risk.

The benefit is they will not be responsible for a death or permanent injury.

• Haha 1

Just to be clear - I don't have a view either way. I am certainly no expert.  Just looking at the data and trying to understand it.

But understand this.....

2 weeks ago, my friend (double vaccinated) caught covid.  Gave it to his mother (double vaccinated) She died. (over 70)

Today, one of my flying buddies tells me his wife (Double Vaxed) is now in hospital fighting for her life. (over 70)

Like i said... Just trying to make sense of the data without influence from so called Drs and Scientists who are paid for the pleasure.

Edited by BirdDog
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

4 minutes ago, BirdDog said:

Just to be clear - I don't have a view either way. I am certainly no expert.  Just looking at the data and trying to understand it.

But understand this.....

2 weeks ago, my friend (double vaccinated) caught covid.  Gave it to his mother (double vaccinated) She died. (over 70)

Today, one of my flying buddies tells me his wife (Double Vaxed) is now in hospital fighting for her life. (over 70)

Like i said... Just trying to make sense of the data without influence from so called Drs and Scientists who are paid for the pleasure.

Actually I have come to understand something from your passing-on of those ... little anecdotes.

But it ain't to do with epidemiology of any kind.

Good luck with your flying.  Seeya.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BirdDog said:

But understand this.....

I settled on Johns Hopkins University of Medicine because it is collecting and distributing accurate data very day of every month until the end of this epidemic.

That gives a steady stream of results - what has actually happened day by day.

A lot of people are posting information used to make a case one way or the other, sometimes honestly, sometimes not, but most of it is contaminated by what is collected, or the standard of medical treatment provided which varies from outstanding treatment of the patient resulting in a survival not expected in any data to offloading the body from the hospital ER for burning.

The Victorian DHHS has been adding to their daily bulletins total people hospitalised, those in ICU, those on Ventilators and those who died. From the hospitalised total they are quoting the number of people who are double vaccinated, and single vaccinated. Those numbers have been hovering around zero for a few days, but I haven't followed them becaise we know the problem area with big numbers - thousands - at risk are the unvaccinated, and they are a finite number of Victoria's population, and reducing every day as they get vaccinated.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Garfly said:

Actually I have come to understand something from your passing-on of those ... little anecdotes.

But it ain't to do with epidemiology of any kind.

Good luck with your flying.  Seeya.

And what might that be mate?  I’m not allowed to think for myself.  You dont think I deserve that respect. I’ve probably lost more people I know from Covid now than most of you.

SEEYA!!  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, turboplanner said:

I settled on Johns Hopkins University of Medicine because it is collecting and distributing accurate data very day of every month until the end of this epidemic.

That gives a steady stream of results - what has actually happened day by day.

A lot of people are posting information used to make a case one way or the other, sometimes honestly, sometimes not, but most of it is contaminated by what is collected, or the standard of medical treatment provided which varies from outstanding treatment of the patient resulting in a survival not expected in any data to offloading the body from the hospital ER for burning.

The Victorian DHHS has been adding to their daily bulletins total people hospitalised, those in ICU, those on Ventilators and those who died. From the hospitalised total they are quoting the number of people who are double vaccinated, and single vaccinated. Those numbers have been hovering around zero for a few days, but I haven't followed them becaise we know the problem area with big numbers - thousands - at risk are the unvaccinated, and they are a finite number of Victoria's population, and reducing every day as they get vaccinated.

Yep. There a few sources I trust, that’s for sure.  A bunch i don’t as it becomes very clear of the agenda.  

It’s amazing how polarising it is.  It’s the new religion and I’ve seen friendships end over it because one person has a different view.  

We just need to all respect the next persons right to believe in what is best for them.  We don’t tell people which mythical creatures that apparently lives in the sky, they should believe in. 

we respect their faith and smile and say, good on you. 

If we don’t hang on to that mutual respect we are doomed, and sadly the fear mongering from the main media is appalling. But it sells I guess.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BirdDog said:

Yep. There a few sources I trust, that’s for sure.  A bunch i don’t as it becomes very clear of the agenda.  

It’s amazing how polarising it is.  It’s the new religion and I’ve seen friendships end over it because one person has a different view.  

We just need to all respect the next persons right to believe in what is best for them.  We don’t tell people which mythical creatures that apparently lives in the sky, they should believe in. 

we respect their faith and smile and say, good on you. 

If we don’t hang on to that mutual respect we are doomed, and sadly the fear mongering from the main media is appalling. But it sells I guess.  

I agree in principal, with "live & let live" but with one overriding provision - your belief set/system/philosophy should not have an negative impact on me or the wider population. If it does then you deserve to have your activities restricted and possibly criminalised.

One of our greatest difficulties, as a democratic society, is "managing" the media so that it remains factual while at the same time being free to report the "truths" it perceives as important. It a difficult balancing act that often swings too far in each direction. 

• Like 2
  • Caution 1

Agreed Skip. 

The only thing I’m very cautious of is handing over too much power to government and relinquishing our freedoms. 

Remember, we we still a democratic country, and yes I want leadership, but with checks and balances.  

And just to restate. I’m not anti nor pro vax. I’m just a normal dude. 

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

9 hours ago, BirdDog said:

Agreed Skip. 

The only thing I’m very cautious of is handing over too much power to government and relinquishing our freedoms. 

Remember, we we still a democratic country, and yes I want leadership, but with checks and balances.  

And just to restate. I’m not anti nor pro vax. I’m just a normal dude. 

Again I agree with your opening statement however this must be mitigated with the ability of the Gov to actually manage/get things done. So we trade  a bit of self determination for a bit of Gove efficacy.  The "pendulum swings" and Gov assumes to much power & needs to be brought back into line ( a debate for another time: I think that time is well & truly overdue, with the Australian Government(s) transparency diminishing/increasing use of secrecy and all sorts of rorting going on)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1