Rotax 912 oil

Wee wee

47 minutes ago, Wee wee said:

Thanks Ibob for the reply,

My company is using this oil to save some money.... But it feels very cheap so I wanted to make sure. 

Its not the engine so much as the gearbox clutch setup that needs a specific oil type.  I would never use anything other than the Areoshell Sport Plus 4, don't worry about the extra cost.  Clutch longevity is what I want.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

I have also read that manufacturers may change their oil formulations without notice, but that Shell have agreed to consult with Rotax before doing that with Aeroshell Sport Plus 4.

It seems to me that cost of oil is a very small part of the cost of operating a 912. Given that we depend on the engine to keep us in the air, I don't know why anyone would consider moving away from the Rotax recommended oils, unless for some reason they are unobtainable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

25 minutes ago, IBob said:

........ I don't know why anyone would consider moving away from the Rotax recommended oils, unless for some reason they are unobtainable.

However, as recent events around the Covid vaccination have shown, there are entire segments of humanity living in alternative worlds where the logic of this world does not apply.............

• Agree 3
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, IBob said:

However, as recent events around the Covid vaccination have shown, there are entire segments of humanity living in alternative worlds where the logic of this world does not apply.............

Yeah, the mass insanity around the COVID vaccines astounds me. I hope someone in authority is looking closely into where this is all coming from. I think a big contributor is Fox (so called) News. Ironically, Murdoch REQUIRES all his staff to be vaccinated or tested daily, including those talking heads railing against government vaccine mandates.

Back on topic, what iBob said about mfgrs changing formulation is the key here. Airplane engines are too critical to safety and expensive to play Russian Roulette with. 

Edited by cscotthendry
  • Informative 1

No matter the oil used (within reason) the engine is very very unlikely to stop (in flight failure) due to the oil used. 

The quality/formulation of the oil impacts on engine longevity ie use the wrong oil and the expected operational life of the engine is likely to be reduced - this may counteract the short term financial savings referred to by Wee wee.

Shell Sport Plus 4 is expensive but a 912 uses only three litres per oil change, every 100 hrs (if using ULP) - personally I like to change the oil every 50 hrs but that is to satisfy my own emotional need.

It's surprising (to me) how many elect to change the 912 oil at 50hrs.

I assume that Rotax built in some margin when nominating the 100hr change.

This isn't intended as a criticism.......clearly it is for every operator to decide what suits them....but I am just curious.

• Like 1

The type of flying you do should dictate the oil change period. In clean air and operating HOT regularly you can run to the 100 hours. Other more adverse conditions REDUCE the drain period..  That's how it usually works. Nev

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, IBob said:

It's surprising (to me) how many elect to change the 912 oil at 50hrs.

I assume that Rotax built in some margin when nominating the 100hr change.

This isn't intended as a criticism.......clearly it is for every operator to decide what suits them....but I am just curious.

Agreed 110% however Rotax/Shell forgot to accommodate the emotional needs of the anally retentive. I do 50 hr oil changes (nothing else) to satisfy the itch. All other items are serviced according to the Rotax recommendations at 100 hrs

Lots of folk here do the same, Skippy, so you're in good company!

It'd be interesting to run a survey.

And we could print 50 and 100hr t-shirts and stand at opposite ends of the bar.........)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do what you feel like. You aren't hurting anything bar your pocket by changing it earlier. The worse thing you do with your oil is run the motor too cold, and then it accumulates water that causes acids and sludges with blow by from combustion by products. Nev

• Agree 1

I found this webinar by Mike Busch educational on the subject.

While he talks mostly about the classic American direct-drive aero engines he also mentions geared, mogas-drinking varieties like Rotax and why their oil needs are different.   

Edited by Garfly