Australian government assistance for ADS-B transponders

This is good news, 30m grant available for general and recreational aircraft to fit absb transponders. Limited to $5000, so 6000 units potentially. Should be a big help for traffic awareness. 

https://www.aap.com.au/uncategorised/aviation-gets-78m-recovery-plan-launched/

I should get a local transponder design going...

Today I took delivery of my new electronics assembly surface mount robot.. 32,000 components per hour ! took multiple pallet jacks, load skates, fork lifts.... full container load. 2 tons.

image.png.1771964d7797f21ba3480d77d5203135.png

• Like 2
  • Informative 2
  • Winner 2

On 20/12/2021 at 5:53 AM, Thruster88 said:

This is good news, 30m grant available for general and recreational aircraft to fit absb transponders. Limited to $5000, so 6000 units potentially. Should be a big help for traffic awareness. 

https://www.aap.com.au/uncategorised/aviation-gets-78m-recovery-plan-launched/

Glad somebody else saw this. Is it clear how this subsidy will work? Is more information to come? Will this be good for a cheap Skyecho unit or is it worth investing in something more sophiscated?

Opinions?

Alan

47 minutes ago, NT5224 said:

Glad somebody else saw this. Is it clear how this subsidy will work? Is more information to come? Will this be good for a cheap Skyecho unit or is it worth investing in something more sophiscated?

Opinions?

Alan

We all have an opinion, but will those in power take any notice?

Yes, I’d like a SkyEcho and would pay the full price if I knew it would keep the regulators happy.

The hardware design (electronics ) for the transponder is a cinch. The power amplifier for the  full spec 200W transponder is a little pricey but swallowable.

The enclosure and front panel takes a little more work and different skills. 

But the specification for Mode S is a mile long. That is the implementation and approval issue and probably why Microair didnt do a Mode S, not deep enough development pockets. 

The (previous) Mode A/C spec (what most RA have) like Microair, and old King radios, that spec is only like 2 pages long designed in the late 60s !

• Informative 2

Does anyone know if the protocol is extensible to include basic security? From what I've know, ASD-B is inherently vulnerable to spoofing and replay attacks, and where there's a vulnerability someone will eventually exploit it for fun or gain.

I can imagine in a few years ADS-B-v2 with message integrity will appear after someone equips a drone with a spoofing device and generates thousands of ghosts around busy airports to get back at the Government.

At that point we'll be told that we need to buy newer hardware to support the capability.

• Like 1

Mark, still not sure we will get the upgrades.... since there is no current mandate for RA aus planes to have Mode-S/ADSBout.

seems like a good industry opportunity. I wonder what the time frames are.

image.png.e09730cb996eb6628c84083da2b97c40.png

Edited by RFguy