Question re MTOW increase

red750

You  don't want him to send you up if you are not safe do you?. You are still ALIVE and He keeps his licence that  way.  Roll distance and ROC (rate of climb) vary a lot with density altitude , grass or soft strip and AUW. AND IF there's anything not "normal"with the engine like one cylinder out or carb heat left on. (or even throttle not fully forward).    Nev

Just need a current drivers licence medical for RAA and of course instruction and if your good enough you will get signed off and you can go fly..thats why RAA is so popular..its the self declared medical and if you back it up with a medical sign off from a doctor to drive a car then go for it

• Like 1

No recent flying !.  ( stopped me dead in my tracks ).

But

Just like riding a bicycle . You never lose the concept.

Took to a motor bike after 50 years, of refusing to wear a ' crash helmet ' .

First tiff at 15, (English Air Cadets,). Then a couple of war birds that went to the smelter. ( as passenger).

Second  N Z (in my 30s ( just a chance encounter )). With two aircraft given to me, & one that disappeared.

The C A C, Wirraway was left on  display at the train museum Upperhut Wellington. ( Stokes valley ).

The Trans avia Airtruck, with its broken nose wheel, l just phoned Trans avia, & was told " no spares "  so left it in the rough at Kapiti airfield.

Then Australia, hang gliding, sailplane, a couple of Thruster flights. Then into it.

Foxbar A22 training at the Oaks, 

Gee a life story !. LoL

spacesailor

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spacesailor said:

No recent flying !.  ( stopped me dead in my tracks ).

But

Just like riding a bicycle . You never lose the concept.

Took to a motor bike after 50 years, of refusing to wear a ' crash helmet ' .

First tiff at 15, (English Air Cadets,). Then a couple of war birds that went to the smelter. ( as passenger).

Second  N Z (in my 30s ( just a chance encounter )). With two aircraft given to me, & one that disappeared.

The C A C, Wirraway was left on  display at the train museum Upperhut Wellington. ( Stokes valley ).

The Trans avia Airtruck, with its broken nose wheel, l just phoned Trans avia, & was told " no spares "  so left it in the rough at Kapiti airfield.

Then Australia, hang gliding, sailplane, a couple of Thruster flights. Then into it.

Foxbar A22 training at the Oaks, 

Gee a life story !. LoL

spacesailor

Instructors can't simply send you on a Solo flight. By law (CASR 61.112-61.125), in addition to your ARN and current medical, you have to be dual checked within previous 14 days. Also, some (most) schools have internal policy of Pre-Solo written test, then doing 3 "good" circuits on the day, etc.. 

Regardless of your previous licence, everyone including current ATPL/CPL holders have to do min 5 hours for RAAAus conversion.

In any case don't wait too long. "Strike while the iron is hot !" 

Edited by Bosi72

That last flght Was my presolo test flight.

Nothing was right,

From the toilet stop before doing the preflight check, the takeoff too fast, navigation too slack, speed too slow,  ( first time at 85 knts in the Foxbat ) .

The list too long. !

But l still managed to land, in the right place, successfully.

spacesailor

Sorry I  wasn't able to get an answer to you quicker, Bruce.  Landing some of the big stuff is like doing a low flypast but the wheels end up trundling along the ground If you get it right. They often use a radio altimeter but for me it was a confirmation NOT the thing you flew on.  Same as you don't chase airspeed. You'll muck it up if you do that. Nev

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Nothing was right,

From the toilet stop before doing the preflight check, the takeoff too fast, navigation too slack, speed too slow,  ( first time at 85 knts in the Foxbat ) .

The list too long. !

spacesailor

Keep at it mate; that's what the after flight debrief is all about and whenever extra flights are needed its for yours and the aircrafts benefit.  I did a bfr in a Foxbat 22 years ago; I had to return for another flight.  Had never flown a foxbat 22 or yoke controls.  It was a bit disappointing at the time ect; but hey got another lesson / flight with a great instructor and I was better for it.  The second flight was straight forward and he introduced me to some new skills during it.  And I was current again. Cheers.

1 hour ago, spacesailor said:

Nothing was right,

The list too long. !

spacesailor

I see l stuffed up that " 85 knt " speed !, should read 185 knts. 

Very surprised no one commented on it.

spacesailor

I struggled with landings in Foxbat until  instructor suggested not to use any flaps. In strong winds she didn't want to land, so it was much easier to land without flaps/flaperons.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Yes I,m a little lost on that. It is KPH.

I,m forever working out miles then, Kilometers and knots.

Or could their be another answer.

spacesailor

Yep, another is m/s.  the only one I remember is 26 meters per second is 50 knots; I work of that.  Only good for trivia I reckon.  Cheers an if ever your in Mackay your welcome for a fly.  I have taken a couple of forum friends for a fly in the past.  Cheers.

I just completed a profile for the Viking Dragonfly in the GA Single Engine category, then noticed a photo in the gallery of one with RAAus rego. The specs I have gives the Stall Speed as 48 kt, above the limit of 45 kt. Can someone clarify?

What about aerobatics? Take a look at this one. Meets the MTOW and stall speed criteria, but designed for aeros.

Bradley BA-100 Aerobat.

General characteristics

Crew: one
Length: 14 ft 6 in (4.42 m)
Wingspan: 18 ft 5 in (5.61 m)
Wing area: 63.00 sq ft (5.853 m2)
Empty weight: 348 lb (158 kg)
Gross weight: 620 lb (281 kg)
Fuel capacity: 10 U.S. gallons (38 L; 8.3 imp gal)
Powerplant: 1 × Volkswagen air-cooled engine four cylinder, air-cooled, four stroke automotive conversion engine, 70 hp (52 kW)
Propellers: 2-bladed wooden
Performance

Maximum speed: 200 mph (320 km/h, 170 kn)
Cruise speed: 150 mph (240 km/h, 130 kn)
Stall speed: 50 mph (80 km/h, 43 kn)

image.thumb.png.fd12b723ec5ea3b2e04e66cc7f049d7e.png

That VW engine would have to have a dry sump, and a pressure carburettor or fuel injection, for it to be suitable for aerobatics. And it would have to be VH-experimental to be aerobatic, would it not?

Plenty of aerobatic aircraft didn't have negative gravity oil systems. You just throttled back when inverted and hanging in the straps and waited for oil pressure to be steady again before giving the throttle a push forward when you were in positive G territory. Fuel often ran all over the place as well.  . Aerobating any plane that hasn't got a proven track record is test pilot stuff. Most planes have quite a few AD's to their credit when they've been doing aeros for a while.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1