Luton Airport has suspended flights after runway melts in soaring temperatures

Luton Airport has suspended flights because of a defect on the runway caused by soaring temperatures during the heatwave. 

The airport said that a "surface defect" had been identified on the runway as the mercury soared to 37C in the south of England on Monday afternoon.

"Following today's high temperatures, a surface defect was identified on the runway," the airport said in a statement.

"Engineers were called immediately to site and repair works are currently in progress to resume operations as soon as possible. We would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused."

The airport's website showed a number of flights after 3pm were delayed, including routes to Heraklion, Amsterdam and Faro.

• Like 1

Quite some years ago now, a young English couple came to Melbourne to work where I did - they arrived a couple of days before we had a run of 47 degrees for three days straight.

Welcome to A-Straye-Ya.

• Informative 1

There's an older Pommy bloke working with a friend who owns the workshop opposite mine. The Pommy bloke reckons Australia is too hot for him, and he wants to go back home to live.

I wonder if he's going to change his ideas anytime soon, now that Pommyland has Australia-like Summers!

He's put off going back, thanks to airfare prices tripling, now he's planning to go back to identical weather conditions as what he "endures" here!  :freaked:

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

We're not smug. We are HOT, but bull$#!t a lot. and we are either drowning or dying of thirst and burned alive. It's fun other wise fighting off the crocs taipans Box jellyfish, funnel web and red back spiders and white pointer sharks blue ringed octopus and scorpions.. We export all our good food and wine.. Nev

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I lived across the ditch in NZ for a few years in the early 90's.  On hot (~28C) days, the road bitumen on bends would soften and start to ooze.  I suspect the melting point spec for the bitumen that is used in cooler climates is lower. 

CC

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/07/2022 at 2:42 AM, facthunter said:

We export all our good food and wine.. Nev

Thankfully.. I get more moderate weather.. very little threats of wildlife trying to eat or killme, and some bludday good wine - tonight.. from the Yarra Valley!

Well, I consider myself more an expat.. but one of the reasons worth dtaying. Tonight -  a Bellarine Peninsula (no prizes for guessing which one).

It hit 28 where I am today... Had our three days of summer already!

You originally went there as a political refugee? I can understand  that. IF we hadn't had a change of Government, I was thinking of seeing IF New Zealand would give me refugee status. Nev

• Like 2

20 hours ago, facthunter said:

You originally went there as a political refugee? I can understand  that. IF we hadn't had a change of Government, I was thinking of seeing IF New Zealand would give me refugee status. Nev

More an economic refugee.. no degree in Aus for what I did at the time (software engineering) meant little progress. When the software company installing software at what was then GenVic saw what I could do, they offered me a job and sponsorship, and a decent wad of cash to boot

Times have changed since - but it is still tougher without a relevant degree in Aus than here

• Informative 1

On 08/08/2022 at 12:33 AM, nomadpete said:

So that's why we can't get good wine here any more.  We send it away for all youse foreigners to enjoy.

So we send our good wine to the UK and Fosters to the US.

That tells you what we think of Americans 🤣:stirrer:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We don't send our best wine to the UK as they have a very distinct price limit above which they stop buying. I suspect some of the best went to China where there's plenty of Wealthy People till THEY put a ban on IT and our lobsters (that most of us here can't AFFORD.).  Nev

• Informative 1