Cessna 340 and Cessna 152 collide on approach to California airport

From the FlightAware data it looks like the cessna 340 making a straight in approach to runway 20 hit the cessna 152 on final for 20 at about 400-500 feet agl. The 340 was maintaining 190knots in a steady descent. 

1 hour ago, Thruster88 said:

From the FlightAware data it looks like the cessna 340 making a straight in approach to runway 20 hit the cessna 152 on final for 20 at about 400-500 feet agl. The 340 was maintaining 190knots in a steady descent. 

190Kts at 500AGL? Must have bloody good speedbrakes! Or they were going to go missed. Makes me wonder if one of 'em was under the hood then?

Doesn't the lower level aircraft have priority? Looks very much to me like the Cessna 340 driver was a regular cowboy, speed way above any stabilised approach, and the mindset he was going to land regardless, and everyone else had to give him priority.

The Cessna 152 was banking left and despite acknowledging the Cessna 340 was somewhere behind him, his high wing limited his rear right quarter vision - particularly as the 340 was coming down on top of him.

As one comment notes on Kathryns report, a 152 is more than likely to be a student, so more caution required from a supposedly experienced twin-engine pilot. 

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2022/08/cessna-340a-n740wj-fatal-accident.html

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

Probably High  and HOT ending up just HOT. A stuffed up approach I'd say and just pressed on regardless,. It happens with big stuff too and they can't extend flap because they are too fast. You are supposed to pass on the right. That approach should have been aborted. (as I see it). Nev

• Like 1

This has a good graphic of the traffic with the radio calls in real time at about the six minute mark. Not sure if the c152 said I am going around or you go around in the final transmission. I will always maintain having traffic on a screen greatly improves situational awareness and only takes a glance now and then.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Gee, that blokes makes a terrible video, he's a total waffler. He sounds like he's apologising for the bloke in the C340. It's simple, the bloke in the C340 just barrelled his way in, no consideration for any pattern rules, no consideration for anyone else - and going hell-for-leather. It makes you wonder, what would have been the result if he'd missed the C152? A runway overrun at best, or he'd have still crashed?

There seems little doubt that he couldn't have continued on final for landing at that speed, he'd had to have done a go-around, anyway.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the 152 pilot. He could not have anticipated anyone would come in so fast. It would have seemed reasonable to get his touch and go done before the 340 arrived, until the moment he realised too late that something weird was happening.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

They are usually fatal though and they should be getting better and they all have a breakdown of  good procedures in common and would be by and large preventable IF (....) and that's where we should concentrate our efforts to improve things. Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1