Winging it Down the Castlereagh

old man emu

Just an update on the proposed date of the event.

A big source of helpers for the event is the local horse endurance riders club, They have an event on the 15th and that will occupy them and the reast of the vvillage. So we are moving our event to SATURDAY 27 April.

• Informative 1

On 23/09/2022 at 8:03 PM, old man emu said:

I need some feedback on this Rule for the Event. The liability of the Organisers needs to be protected. Will RULE 3.3 cause an interested participant to have to give the event a miss?

RULE 3.2

The pilot-in-command nominated on the entry form will be required to produce for the

scrutineers:

(e) Evidence of insurance cover in accordance with the requirements of paragraph 3.3 of these rules

RULE 3.3

The evidence of insurance cover as required by Rule 3.2 (e) shall take the following form:

An endorsement note from the aircraft's insurance company which states that its Third

Party and Passenger Liability insurance (in respect of that aircraft):

1.     Has been extended to include the Arthur Butler Trophy Event, and

2.     Has been endorsed to include as the insured the organisers, Arthur Butler Aviation Museum Inc., for their respective rights, interests, and liabilities under that policy, and

3.     The sum assured shall be a be a minimum sum of $5,000,000 for Third Party and

$5,000,000 for Passenger Liability.

4.     The policy must insure the entrant, crew, passengers and those persons representatives and employers against liability arising out of the participation in this event in respect of such persons and the aircraft.

All entrants should contact their own broker or underwriter with whom the aircraft is normally insured to ensure that the requirements of these rules are complied with prior to the commencement of the event.

If some part of it causes a problem, which part and why.

Thanks

RAAus has insurance - I'm not sure what it covers.  Might be on their website.

It will be up to contestants to make sure that THEIR insurance indemnifies the organisers. The organisers will have to arrange ublic liability, unles Council bears it.

IMPORTANT UPDATE

Due to other organisations "claiming the dates" in April, the event will now be held in May - but not on Mothers' Day weekend, 14th May. The date to be confirmed in a few days and I will advise when I have it locked in.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 04/11/2022 at 9:52 PM, old man emu said:

Just an update on the proposed date of the event. A big source of helpers for the event is the local horse endurance riders club, They have an event on the 15th and that will occupy them and the reast of the vvillage. So we are moving our event to SATURDAY 27 April.

No it's not. We have finally settled on Saturday 20th May. Please pencil that into your appointment books.

If you are interested in coming, either as a competitor or just for a meet-up, please email me at [email protected] so I can add you to the mailing list.

PRIVACY NOTE: I won't give you email address to anyone else. Promise.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

Work is progressing slowly on preparing the application to CASA to hold this event. The Silly Season is putting a stick in the spokes, mainly in the area of lining up Public Liability insurance. We have arranged for the presence of the District SES unit who will be responsible for First Aid and to deal with anything untoward where people might get a bit more hurt. The ground movements part of the navigation contest will be under the disciplined control of the Dubb Squadron of the Air Training Corps, and several commercial pilots. The village fair entertainments will be organised by the Tooraweenah townspeople.

Indications are that quite a number of unique historic civilian and military aircraft will be attending. Some will simply be there as static displays, but hopefully some will take part in the contest. There will also be a number of trade displays by airplane and engine suppliers. 

Work is being carried out to provide attendees with a complete pilot information package which will include something similar to a VTC showing suggested 10 Nautical mile reporting points for organised traffic flow to the aerodrome. It is planned to have Ground Control operating on 123.4 as well as "Follow Me" vehicles and parking marshals to assist attendees. At the moment there is no taxiway to hasten movement to and from the runway, but there is room for a relatively smooth track to be prepared in time for the event.

Ground transport will be provided to the pub and the showground where Saturday night's social gathering is planned to take place. The showground has showering facilities that will be available to attendees. Toilet facilities (Porta-loos) will also be provided at the aerodrome.

This is a photo of the aerodrome, looking to the southwest, taken on 27/12/22, from circuit height, crosswind of Rwy 04

image.thumb.jpeg.336f917116a7cdc3dd187c8391358f81.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Bloody fuel!!!!!

Try as I might, I can't get a supply of Avgas for the event. Basically, the legal liability of the risk cannot be insured against. Then there is the legality of conveying fuel from a nearby source to the aerodrome. Then there is the problem of metering the distribution. The least of my worries is getting paid for the fuel. So all I can do is provide the distances to public bowsers and advise which ones you need an ASIC card for. 

Mogas.

I can possibly help here, but I need your feedback.

I can collect a heap of 20 litre plastic containers that have had herbicides in them. I can flush them out with Mogas to get rid of any herbicide residue. I can provide these containers to pilots needing 98 octane Mogas. A servo in Gilgandra had its underground storage tanks replaced late in 2022, so they are basically brand new. If a pilot wants to get some 98 Mogas, I can have a couple of the event volunteers take the drums and get them filled, each with 20 litres by the bowser meter (they are brand new, too). The price of 20 litres would simply be the price from the pump plus, say, $5 per pilot getting fuel to cover the cost of our petrol to go too and from.

Once again the legal buzzards are circling, so pilots using this service would have to sign a waiver to relieve the organisers of liability from anything arising from the use of fuel obtained in such a way. The alternative is that pilots grab a container and hitch a ride the 45 kms into Gilgandra, get their fuel and hitch back.

WILL THIS WORK?

16 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Mogas.

I can possibly help here, but I need your feedback.

I can collect a heap of 20 litre plastic containers that have had herbicides in them. I can flush them out with Mogas to get rid of any herbicide residue. I can provide these containers to pilots needing 98 octane Mogas. A servo in Gilgandra had its underground storage tanks replaced late in 2022, so they are basically brand new. If a pilot wants to get some 98 Mogas, I can have a couple of the event volunteers take the drums and get them filled, each with 20 litres by the bowser meter (they are brand new, too). The price of 20 litres would simply be the price from the pump plus, say, $5 per pilot getting fuel to cover the cost of our petrol to go too and from.

Would it be possible to have the volunteer and car at Gilgandra?

those wanting Mogas (ie me 😁, I have my own collapsible jerrycans) could simply fly into Gilgandra, pay the volunteer $5 to drive them to the servo and they can purchase fuel. This would avoid the liability re fuel, as the pilot has purchased it themselves.

• Agree 1

There is avgas available in all directions 60nm from Tooraweena. Mogas is available at wings out west 60nm south of Tooraweena. 

I WOULD NOT BE PUTTING FUEL IN EX CHEMICAL DRUMS. Have heard of some not so good results.  

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

It is not legal to carry fuel in containers that are not approved for fuel transport (Australian Standard AS/NZS 2906:2001). Not even used oil containers.

OME, have you have inquired with this mob over refuelling arrangements? Will they do short-term portable refuelling tank hire? Is it possible for them to supply a mini-tanker for the day?

https://www.rfs.com.au/fuel-solutions/ifuel-tank-hire

Edited by onetrack
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, RossK said:

Would it be possible to have the volunteer and car at Gilgandra

I'm the only one who lives at Gil, and I'll be a mite busy on the day. If you wanted to mtel it in Gil, I've got to go home on Saturday night and come back Sunday. I could drop you of at your motel and pick you up Sunday AM. If a lot of people are staying at Gil, I might run a minibus on Saturday Night. There will be one running around Toora between the parking area in town and the aerodrome.

3 hours ago, onetrack said:

It is not legal to carry fuel in containers that are not approved for fuel transport

Shh! If you don't tell, I won't.

7 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

There is avgas available in all directions 60nm from Tooraweena

Narromine, Dubbo, Coonamble, Mudgee Yes. Dubbo and Coonamble ASIC card country. Coonabarabran No.

Don't forget to apply for a Skyfuel carnot card.

I'll check out that tank hire place tomorrow.

UPDATE: 18 JANUARY 2023

I submitted the application to conduct an Air Display to CASA today. They have replied by pro forma email that they have got it. The wait begins. I know that they won't give an answer before I submit the Emergency Response plan, but at least they have something to look at and provide a quote for dealing with the application - at a minimum of $120.00 PER HOUR!!!!!!

I received information about Public Liability. What I got makes anything coming out of CASA understandable by a kindergarten kid. All I understood was tha the premium was $1350.

Regarding fuel (Mogas). One way or the other we will have empty 20 litre approved petrol jerry cans available. Anyone who wants Mogas can borrow as many as they need. We will advise the pump price and those who need fuel can pay us the pump price for the amount they need. (We could supply fractions of 20 lites if needed.) The we will ask for $5 to pay for our fuel to go into Gilgandra to get the fuel. If a person has a collapsible fuel bladder, we'll take them in in the same way as our jerry cans.

The good news about the fuel is that the petrol station we are going to get the petrol from had its underground storage tanks replaced late in 2022 as well as its pumps. So you can be pretty certain that the fuel will be as clean as practicable.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: 27/01/2023

I received notification from CASA that I don't have to send anything more for them to process the application to hold The Event. Nothing more, of course, does not include the $1600 I have to front up with for them to allegedly start spending 10 hours at $160 per hour assessing the application.

Thanks, CASA, for your support of recreational aviation.

Oh, and the Public Liability insurance premium is $1630. 

Unfortunately, that means I can't hire portaloos at a bit over $4000.

Let's hope that I can find some corporate sponsors to allay the costs. 

• Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

How can you advertise an event when CASA makes it doubtful if you will get approval? Here is an extract from their document Interim Air Display Administration and Procedure Manual CASA-03-0039

image.thumb.jpeg.73594ff24b4f70552b3cc7efb6ff22b0.jpeg

I submitted an application on 18 January 2023 for an event to be held on 20 May 2023, that's 121 calendar days prior to the event. That's definitely more than 45 calendar days before the event. But CASA will endeavour to issue an air display approval ... 10 days before the date of the event.

How the hell can you expect organizers to take care of advertising and confirming all the ancillary things that support the event if you don't know until the eleventh hour if approval will be given. How do the people who are going to attend plan their travel?

As the Display Organizer, I have to give the go-ahead for the event. My biggest fear is that the weather will not be favourable. I have made the contingency plan to call a postponement on the Thursday 2 days before the event if the forecast is unfavourable. But that is a postponement, not a cancellation. If CASA denies the application only 10 days before the event everyone's plans go out the window.

Did I mention before that for reading through a few pages and looking at some diagrams, CASA wants $160 per hour for what it says will take 10 hours - $1600 just to look at the application, and no refund if they say NO.

You might consider this: Applications for ... flypasts must be made 21 calendar days prior to the planned event. It is common for aero clubs and flying friends to arrange a flypast at the funeral of an honoured colleague. Just remember to tell the family to hold off on the funeral for at least 32 days after the death so you can get the required permission. And don't forget the $160/hr assessment fee.

• Informative 2