Plane crash Hunter Valley 17/10/2022

Yeah saw this too. Sounds pretty awful! 

Hope the poor bloke gets the best possible treatment and is able to recover.  Our thoughts should be with him and his family right now, but once he is out of danger it would be interesting to know what happened there. 

The prospect of fire in an aviation accident  is pretty terrifying.  I think we can become complacent thinking fires are less likely with our slow moving aircraft which have fewer electrical systems which can be shut down in an emergency. 

Wishing our fellow aviator for a rapid recovery. Thats the priority now!

Alan   

• Like 3

The victim is in a critical condition with burns to 80% of his body, plus multiple fractures. He's been placed in an induced coma. I wish the gentleman well, but I hold great fears for his eventual survival, with that massive level of injuries.

There's a typical degree of misreporting from the media, with many reports stating the aircraft was a Cessna, but others stating it was a Mooney.

https://www.2hd.com.au/2022/10/17/man-seriously-injures-after-plane-crashes-explodes-into-flames-at-luskintyre/

Edited by onetrack
  • Agree 1

I heard on one of those aviation podcasts that the NTSB (ie the USA) had a record of 36000 aircraft incidents, and 36 of them were fires in flight. Fires on crashing are really common, on the other hand. So, I don’t carry a fire extinguisher, but wear Nomex pants (for all the good it will do).

I agee that 80% burns and fractures has a poor prognosis, especially if the pilot is older. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately the news has come that the pilot passed on 24/12/22 😢

I never met him, but from accounts, his passing is a huge loss to the flying community.

Condolences to his family and friends.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The ATSB file is AO-2022-049

The landing site was near Luskintyre

Very little initial explanation or comment.

The anticipated completion of the ATSB Investigation is Second quarter this year.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2022/aair/ao-2022-049

• Informative 1