Warning. Trucks not aviation

BrendAn

16 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

https://fb.watch/gJHrpkOg86/

There are quite a few of us interested in road transport so I thought this video would be if interest.  There is some colourful language.

I know Ron Finemore and his people well, so I initially put this down to road damage and driving it up onto some concrete. The general population and millenial "Managers" were all referring to driver's who'd never driven a truck coming out of third world countries. People have sent the video to NHVR, NSW Police have appealed for any photos, driver identity etc. I hadn't seen the video until now.

In the Albury Wodonga press the the driver's manager has said he is not blaming the driver.

Although the start of the video seems to show a couldn't care less driver the real story is quite different.

The centre Super Single tyre blew, apparently because of some road damage or something on the road; all tyres were near new.

The driver stopped, but as it was a weekend and near Moree he realised he would have trouble getting a replacement tyre, so he rang the company, as a responsible driver does and between them decided to limp into town.

Normally the other two tyres would handle this, but perhaps they also had been damaged and one by one they blew on the way in to town.

It had been raining in the area so he dragged the trailer onto a concrete apron where the tyre operators could work safely

He had saved the vehicle and its load.

When the Ace Iphoner accosted him he had been waiting 7 hours for the tyres organised by Finemores to arrive, and the video opens with him telling the people approaching that everything was OK and under control, and possibly even thanks for thinking of me.

Any interstate drivers would know what the edges of the road are like after rain around Moree after rain. I rescued one car drive about a hundred metres out in the brush one night after he was blinded by mud and skidded until the car flipped.

11 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

I know Ron Finemore and his people well, so I initially put this down to road damage and driving it up onto some concrete. The general population and millenial "Managers" were all referring to driver's who'd never driven a truck coming out of third world countries. People have sent the video to NHVR, NSW Police have appealed for any photos, driver identity etc. I hadn't seen the video until now.

In the Albury Wodonga press the the driver's manager has said he is not blaming the driver.

Although the start of the video seems to show a couldn't care less driver the real story is quite different.

The centre Super Single tyre blew, apparently because of some road damage or something on the road; all tyres were near new.

The driver stopped, but as it was a weekend and near Moree he realised he would have trouble getting a replacement tyre, so he rang the company, as a responsible driver does and between them decided to limp into town.

Normally the other two tyres would handle this, but perhaps they also had been damaged and one by one they blew on the way in to town.

It had been raining in the area so he dragged the trailer onto a concrete apron where the tyre operators could work safely

He had saved the vehicle and its load.

When the Ace Iphoner accosted him he had been waiting 7 hours for the tyres organised by Finemores to arrive, and the video opens with him telling the people approaching that everything was OK and under control, and possibly even thanks for thinking of me.

Any interstate drivers would know what the edges of the road are like after rain around Moree after rain. I rescued one car drive about a hundred metres out in the brush one night after he was blinded by mud and skidded until the car flipped.

That's just bad . I don't care where the driver came from or if his boss told him to do it.  He should have changed the tyre or if he doesn't carry one just remove that set of duels and tie that axle up.   It's silly to suggest otherwise. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrendAn said:

That's just bad . I don't care where the driver came from or if his boss told him to do it.  He should have changed the tyre or if he doesn't carry one just remove that set of duels and tie that axle up.   It's silly to suggest otherwise. 

Last century while driving my VR commodore on a quiet  country  road there was a loud bang and shock wave. Stopped and found a 200mm x 50mm  piece of metal had penetrated the rear foot well.  As a truck driver I instantly recognized it as coming from a 8.25r22 steel truck rim. The front tyre of the VR must have kicked it up and presented it at the perfect angle. Fortunately no one was in the back.

My thoughts are continuing to drive with punctured, blown tyres is not acceptable. Well done to the camera person. It would be nice if there were many many more places for trucks to pull over.  

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

If you think that's bad, what about this effort? This tri-axle (3 rows of 8 ) float was parked near my workshop recently, awaiting repairs.

All 8 tyres across the back were burnt right off, and one of the inside (steel) rim and hubs, had been dragged on the road for so long, it was nearly one-third worn away. There's no excuse for this, this is purely, "steering wheel attendant" stuff. 

The level of truck driving skills has seriously deteriorated in recent years and the desperation of companies to employ anyone who can hold a steering wheel is showing.

Float-1.jpg

Float-2.jpg

Float-3.jpg

Edited by onetrack

10 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

I think Apen doesn't buy turbo's explanation, I don't either.  

Ok, I wasn't sure.   I respect turbos knowledge ,he knows the industry far better than I do but he is just plain wrong this time. Imagine the trail of shrapnel that trailer left along the highway and gouging the bitumen.  If a car hit a chunk of rim or half a tyre they might not have the skills to safely stop like you did.

Edited by BrendAn
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, onetrack said:

If you think that's bad, what about this effort? This tri-axle (3 rows of 8 ) float was parked near my workshop recently, awaiting repairs.

All 8 tyres across the back were burnt right off, and one of the inside (steel) rim and hubs, had been dragged on the road for so long, it was nearly one-third worn away. There's no excuse for this, this is purely, "steering wheel attendant" stuff. 

The level of truck driving skills has seriously deteriorated in recent years and the desperation of companies to employ anyone who can hold a steering wheel is showing.

Float-1.jpg

Float-2.jpg

Float-3.jpg

Floats are horrible things for blowing tyres. Normally they change them as they blow.  

Edited by BrendAn

I have 4 truck drivers, 3, over 60 and I don't think any of them have ever used a grease gun or changed a tyre. I remember going in semis with my uncle's when I was a kid. Trailers were tarped .no curtainsiders. Tarping was an art form .those blokes would never pull into a yard with a crappy looking trailer. Tarps were tight as a drum , hitches perfect on every rope. Truck clean and tidy. That pride in their work is history now . Those blokes would not ever drive with blown tyres .these days it's throw anyone with a licence in and send them on their way. No pride or care just get the job done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I was in my Hilux and following a fully loaded 6-wheeler (tandem drive) company skip truck heading East out of Perth towards the landfill at Red Hill last year, in the middle of Winter, it was about 5:30AM and raining lightly, and still relatively dark, but lightening up.

As I came up close behind the skip truck, I noticed the two drivers side rear tyres were almost flat. Any truck driver with a degree of alertness would have been able to see the massive bulge at the bottom of the tyres in the rear vision mirrors - as well as the heavier pulling.

But the driver just kept gaily belting along at the 90kmh speed limit, totally oblivious to the near-flat tyres. We got to a set of traffic lights that were red, I pulled up alongside and slightly forward of him, jumped out and went over to his window to alert him. He took a few seconds to even realise someone was rattling his closed window - because he had his headphones on, and obviously had the music turned up.

When I finally got his attention, he looked very surprised, then he took his headphones off, rolled down his window, and looked a bit shocked as I advised him he had two nearly-flat rear tyres. He didn't have the faintest idea.

"Oh!", he says, "I'll have to get onto the boss, then!" No mention of getting out and actually changing a wheel - nope, he'd be told to stay in the truck and wait for the Beaurepaires or Bridgestone tyre fitting crew to change the wheels/tyres for him.

The company drivers aren't allowed to leave the cab to do any work on their truck, and even the thought of a driver changing a wheel makes the company safety officer blanch, as drivers can't possibly change a wheel, that's above their skill level - and besides, they might hurt themselves, and lodge a claim for compensation!

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

7 hours ago, BrendAn said:

I have 4 truck drivers, 3, over 60 and I don't think any of them have ever used a grease gun or changed a tyre. I remember going in semis with my uncle's when I was a kid. Trailers were tarped .no curtainsiders. Tarping was an art form .those blokes would never pull into a yard with a crappy looking trailer. Tarps were tight as a drum , hitches perfect on every rope. Truck clean and tidy. That pride in their work is history now . Those blokes would not ever drive with blown tyres .these days it's throw anyone with a licence in and send them on their way. No pride or care just get the job done.

We used to give them spider hubs, so just a 9.00 x 20 x 12 ply weight and steel rim to lift plus tighten on a taper, so easily tightened with the 24 inch bar under the seat.

Then we went to 11R22.5 size radial tubeless which required disk wheels, no taper, 10 stud clamp fit requiring tightening to a torque figure with from memory a 1.5 to 2 metre torque wrench. The first sign of trouble was when I was asked to supply tyre racks up on the PM chassis with winches. That didn't stop the injuries and a lot of wheels came loose and felt off, some with fatal results, so the industry has pretty much shifted to phoning the local tyre service for on site repair/changeover. 

The driver changeover skill was lost as was tarping skill when we went to Tautliners, and today there could be half a million dollars worth of freight in a B Double for a JIT delivery. A few companies offer "HotShot Loads" - Melbourne-Brisbane-Brisbane-Melbourne non stop 2 up drivers each way, motel at Gilgandra.

In this case I worked out 3 super single 385/65R22.5 and alumimium wheels fitted at around $5000.00 on the concrete where the driver took the truck.

What would be the cost of callout on a weekend and 10 km tow for a B Double rated tow truck?

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

50 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

We used to give them spider hubs, so just a 9.00 x 20 x 12 ply weight and steel rim to lift plus tighten on a taper, so easily tightened with the 24 inch bar under the seat.

Then we went to 11R22.5 size radial tubeless which required disk wheels, no taper, 10 stud clamp fit requiring tightening to a torque figure with from memory a 1.5 to 2 metre torque wrench. The first sign of trouble was when I was asked to supply tyre racks up on the PM chassis with winches. That didn't stop the injuries and a lot of wheels came loose and felt off, some with fatal results, so the industry has pretty much shifted to phoning the local tyre service for on site repair/changeover. 

The driver changeover skill was lost as was tarping skill when we went to Tautliners, and today there could be half a million dollars worth of freight in a B Double for a JIT delivery. A few companies offer "HotShot Loads" - Melbourne-Brisbane-Brisbane-Melbourne non stop 2 up drivers each way, motel at Gilgandra.

In this case I worked out 3 super single 385/65R22.5 and alumimium wheels fitted at around $5000.00 on the concrete where the driver took the truck.

What would be the cost of callout on a weekend and 10 km tow for a B Double rated tow truck?

11r 22.5 can be on a spider or ten stud I have both. And I have changed both on the side of the road heaps of times.   And carry a chain for chaining up an axle if you need to .  I don't think I can convince you anyway.  As far as I am concerned that video shows the incompetence and lack of training that is running up and down our highways.  

Edited by BrendAn
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BrendAn said:

11r 22.5 can be on a spider or ten stud I have both. And I have changed both on the side of the road heaps of times.   And carry a chain for chaining up an axle if you need to .  I don't think I can convince you anyway.  As far as I am concerned that video shows the incompetence and lack of training that is running up and down our highways.  

No one needs convincing of anything.

This was a super single, it was a fleet truck, the story continues to unfold and we'll probably get all the story in the end.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

10 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

No one needs convincing of anything.

This was a super single, it was a fleet truck, the story continues to unfold and we'll probably get all the story in the end.

I have seen enough to come to the conclusion the driver and his supervisor made the wrong decision.  You can change super singles ok too. Mongrel job but one person can do it. The spare 295 off the prime mover would have got him out of trouble.  

The biggest single problem as regards truck tyre changing, particularly with a B-double, is trying to find a safe place to park the truck and change the wheel. There are not enough truck bays/laybys on many "highways" and changing a wheel with the truck parked on the shoulder is difficult and exceptionally dangerous.

People get killed every month, changing wheels by the side of the road, you need to instigate traffic control on high-speed roads if you need to carry out an activity like this.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, onetrack said:

The biggest single problem as regards truck tyre changing, particularly with a B-double, is trying to find a safe place to park the truck and change the wheel. There are not enough truck bays/laybys on many "highways" and changing a wheel with the truck parked on the shoulder is difficult and exceptionally dangerous.

People get killed every month, changing wheels by the side of the road, you need to instigate traffic control on high-speed roads if you need to carry out an activity like this.

Pull over as far as you can on a straight stretch . Hazard lights on and triangles out. That's what triangles are for you know. Honestly I give up.  We should just drive our cars and trucks with rubber flying everywhere and mudguards getting ripped off airbag and brake hoses getting damaged as long as we get to the perfect place to do the work.

No, I wasn't saying that at all. But there are any amount of car drivers out there who don't even see triangles, they need to see huge numbers of flashing lights at height, before they will even take their foot off the accelerator. These are the same people who will run you over, because "they didn't see you".

We get car drivers running straight into the back of delivery vehicles and garbage trucks, despite all the flashing lights. At least 3 people with amputated legs in the last 12 mths here, thanks to this abysmal level of car driver incompetence.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, onetrack said:

No, I wasn't saying that at all. But there are any amount of car drivers out there who don't even see triangles, they need to see huge numbers of flashing lights at height, before they will even take their foot off the accelerator. These are the same people who will run you over, because "they didn't see you".

We get car drivers running straight into the back of delivery vehicles and garbage trucks, despite all the flashing lights. At least 3 people with amputated legs in the last 12 mths here, thanks to this abysmal level of car driver incompetence.

I know what you are saying  but there is only so much you can do to make things as safe as you can . Dragging trailers around with the tyres worn off is not good either. In wa you drive for a long time to find a parking bay. You just have to pull up and do things as safe as you can.  

21 minutes ago, facthunter said:

How can you trust the soft edges to carry the weight of fully loaded trailers especially if there's been rain falling not long ago.?  Nev

Well without revealing this story's second and third chapters that was the issue here at the beginning.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

How can you trust the soft edges to carry the weight of fully loaded trailers especially if there's been rain falling not long ago.?  Nev

That can be a problem.  And i know someone who got told to pull over by traffic control and the ground gave way ,truck ended up on its side. Main roads w.a paid for the towing and truck repairs. Every situation is different and there is always somewhere you can pull up but you need to use your brains . 

What if the engine had broken down or the driveshaft sheared off . The trucks going to stopped on the side of the road isn't it 

41 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

Well without revealing this story's second and third chapters that was the issue here at the beginning.

. . Spill it. making comments while saying you are with holding the whole story is annoying.