Savannah control Stick grip - what are you using?

BC0979

This is personal preference but I do not like the supplied rubber grip that came with Kit #1.

I like a simple textured motorcycle style grip that you find on the motorcycle throttle.

The issue I am having is our Y control Stick  tube diameter measures 1.140 which I am assuming is a 1-1/8 inch grip.

My research shows that the majority of grips are for 1 inch or smaller.

Has anyone found a supplier for a simple grip like the Ray Allen G205? According to Ray Allen, this will not fit. They suggested the G300 series which is more of a fighter pilot/gaming stick.

What are you using????

The stock rubber grip is something I remember from 55 years ago on my tricycle! I chucked it and used the ray allen g205 that I got from aircraft spruce. I had to do a slight bit of modification but I can’t remember exactly what I did. I can take a look next time I’m in the hangar. It wasn’t hard to get to fit up.  -steve

The Ray Allen G205 would be exactly what I am looking for, but when I contacted Ray Allen they told me that it would not fit our 1-1/8 stick without splitting.

G205_fcfbe3b3-4623-4c48-8415-d89941c82cc7_500x.gif.23f916b94fe1e0b0f64ecb046365b7d3.gif

Mine does't have all the buttons but has finger grips and a nice thumb rest with PTT on top. Easily made out of fibre glass resin.

IMG1203.thumb.jpg.9b5158e8d01e793e069fb287f9d1a0b5.jpg

Edited by kgwilson

Very nice.  "Man must know his limitations" LOL

I don't have the skills to make my own grip without spending more $$$ than buying one ready to go. And I am keeping the Y stick that came with the kit. 

20230331_110616.thumb.jpg.613c269640fcf1efab43dd8bb72cb8d6.jpg

Someone ' welded ' that joystick,  so would it be such a hard job to cut off the offending 1 1/8" , tube.

And replace it with the standard 1 " tube , that will be covered with your ' preferred ' grip .

OR

Get a Nice piece of wood & cut & shape to fit around your 1  1/8"  tube .. ( whittle away a few hours while relaxing ) .

Could be two halves ' araldited ' together . Nicer feel to a  ' wooden handle ' .

Just a thought. 

spacesailor

I looked at my Savannah to remember what I ended up doing, and here are some pics.  Not sure if this explains well enough, but I made a hacksaw cut appx 70-75% around the end of the yoke, then I resized the pipe.  I can't remember if the y yoke pipe is smaller or larger than the plastic end of the grip that inserts into the y yoke (see pdf).  I then fit the G205 head into the yoke and rivited it in on opposite sides.  You have to be mindful of the rivits ends so that they don't interfere with any of the electronic parts inside of the plastic.  The foam grip went on before this with soap and water, then it was gently worked up. It fits well.  I have to find another foam grip so that I can junk out the tricycle handle bar grip on the other side.  Hope this helps.  -steve

IMG_4459.jpg

IMG_4463.jpg

IMG_4464.jpg

2023-04-05 (1).pdf

• Like 1

i moulded the stick in my Jodel with epoxy filler to match my hand shape. Then I finished it wth material that commemorates two famiy members. The grip is wound with Kangaroo skin rawhide cut by my wife’s dad and the top of the stick has a knob made from rosewood, from a tree cut down in 1937, from which my dad made lots of things.

• Like 2

The grip is wound with Kangaroo skin rawhide cut by my wife’s dad....

Does that addition make the Jodel really jump off from a standing start, at your takeoff point?  :cheezy grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the stick grip as supplied by ICP is actually a pretty good shape (unless you're wanting more buttons): specifically because on a full flaps approach you are out of trim and holding the nose up (also a good arrangement, allows the nose to be dropped promptly if airspeed decays).
It has scalloped finger grips at the front, and a more pronounced protrusion at the top front.
But it is made of some solid rubbery stuff, a bit sticky in summer, I have been flying it with a handkerchief wrapped round it. This thread finally prompted me to do something about it:
There being a shortage of kangaroos over here, I bought a leather steering wheel cover, cut a section out of that and laced it on. So far I've done one side (it's a Y stick) and I'll fly that for a bit to check that it's tight enough, then do the other side.
Okay, it still doesn't look like a Ray Allen creation, but I'm pretty pleased with the result. Expenditure so far $20 and a couple of hours measuring and sorting out tidy lacing, the other side will go much faster.

• Like 2

You just confirmed the "sticky" feel of the ICP stock grip which is what prompted me to ask this group about grips. Not having kangaroo hide here in Florida I will more than likely use something else.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BC0979 said:

…Not having kangaroo hide here in Florida I will more than likely use something else.

We could send you some. Australia has an industry exporting roo products from the million or so humanely culled by professional shooters each year. Unfortunately, misinformed animal libbers in North America are trying to stop that small trade, which poses no danger to our enormous population of roos.

Their numbers are also hardly dented by the thousands killed on our roads every night. Their carcases are left for wildlife to pick over. 

• Like 1

Not long after I got my VG about ten years ago I replaced the factory grip with the Ray Allen G305 and also installed the Ray Allen LED trim indicator.  I really like having trim on the stick, and perhaps while  just a personal preference having flown Tecnams  with the RA 200 series grips I prefer the “coolie hat” style switch. 

• Like 2