The Oaks redevelopment?

41 minutes ago, coljones said:

Is there any info about the future of The Oaks? (or any vicious rumours)?

Search the local Council site for all the Planning Applications and you'll know when and what in about a minute.

"Masterplan" and "subject to council approval"  AKA (notoriously) as STCA are the RED ALERT signals.

I take it no one has taken my advice to go on the Council site and see what Planning Applications have been made on the property

A lot of airports have been lost to aviation simply because none of the owners bothered to check, or thought a new plan with neat factories couldn't do any harm.

When a site is advertised as SCTA that usually means no one has applied for a Planning Permit (as against building permits) to ensure that what is proposed is legal for the current zoning. 

If no one does anything, to stop it and someone buys the property because there had been no complaints or objections, you have a situation where a new owner, cashed up to the eyeballs is on the scene ready to use his weight and money to overcome any obstacles to his Industrial or Residential Project.

• Like 1

You are correct, AS I ( AT THE MOMENT  ( oops caplock)) need my desktop for everything bar my favourite site . 

Not even face book .

Or the weather.  LoL

spacesailor

27 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

"Masterplan" and "subject to council approval"  AKA (notoriously) as STCA are the RED ALERT signals.

I take it no one has taken my advice to go on the Council site and see what Planning Applications have been made on the property

A lot of airports have been lost to aviation simply because none of the owners bothered to check, or thought a new plan with neat factories couldn't do any harm.

I did a quick check last night but nothing turned up.  Maybe STCA is as far as it got.

In NSW we have "freedom FROM information" which is implemented by either telling nothing, overloading the senses with an excessively excessive amount of info or by creating a clean space, placing the notice and then covering it with rubbish hoping that no-one will notice.

I will keep hunting.

Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coljones said:

I did a quick check last night but nothing turned up.  Maybe STCA is as far as it got.

In NSW we have "freedom FROM information" which is implemented by either telling nothing, overloading the senses with an excessively excessive amount of info or by creating a clean space, placing the notice and then covering it with rubbish hoping that no-one will notice.

I will keep hunting.

Cheers

What Council area is the airfield in? I’ll see if I can get a link.

26 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

What Council area is the airfield in? I’ll see if I can get a link.

Wonondilly shire council covers The Oaks

20 minutes ago, kasper said:

Wonondilly shire council covers The Oaks

Yes it has online data.

Go to DA Tracker area and you will see new Developments advertised.

In the module you should be able to put in the property address and see its history of DAs and their outcomes, any new ones and also get a set of reports on its current Zoning, permits, conditions, maps etc. That will tell you if there’s a current proposal to change it. Being a long term airfield it would have Existing Rights Use as an unhindered airport. Beware of the word Masterplan. This is usually the vehicle where the owner gives up his Existing Use Rights for whatever has been cooked up in the masterplan and the clock starts again from zero. The owners of a council airport are the ratepayers, but quite often they don’t bother to put their foot down. We’ve lost a few airports that way.

55 minutes ago, old man emu said:

The Oaks is a private airport.

Same basic principle of Existing Rights Use applies; the owner makes the decisions on which way he wants to go.

When the site was up for sale back in 2019, the AFR ran an article on it.

Here is an excerpt…..

“The entire property is heritage listed but the "heritage item" is the historic runway. It's understood that to unlock the development potential of the land, an improvement would need to be made to the airstrip.”

AFR Sep 4, 2019

3 hours ago, turboplanner said:

Yes it has online data.

Go to DA Tracker area and you will see new Developments advertised.

In the module you should be able to put in the property address and see its history of DAs and their outcomes, any new ones and also get a set of reports on its current Zoning, permits, conditions, maps etc. That will tell you if there’s a current proposal to change it. Being a long term airfield it would have Existing Rights Use as an unhindered airport. Beware of the word Masterplan. This is usually the vehicle where the owner gives up his Existing Use Rights for whatever has been cooked up in the masterplan and the clock starts again from zero. The owners of a council airport are the ratepayers, but quite often they don’t bother to put their foot down. We’ve lost a few airports that way.

I've hit a wall on 995 Burragorang Rd, The Oaks NSW 2570, AU. I found the deposited plan number but that didn't work either.  Maybe the plans are still being developed for the owner(s).  Maybe, as they say, "move along, nothing to see here!" but we should keep our eyes and ears open just in case the bad people start getting greedy.

30 minutes ago, coljones said:

I've hit a wall on 995 Burragorang Rd, The Oaks NSW 2570, AU. I found the deposited plan number but that didn't work either.  Maybe the plans are still being developed for the owner(s).  Maybe, as they say, "move along, nothing to see here!" but we should keep our eyes and ears open just in case the bad people start getting greedy.

I'll have a look.

1 hour ago, coljones said:

So far I haven't found the Local Planning Scheme link, but accidentally found the offshoot to input an address and get a lot of Planning Detail Mapping about the site.

Link:   https://www.planningportal.nsw.gov.au/spatialviewer/#/find-a-property/address

This is an interactive map with a Menu list to bring up various aspects like differnt Zones in the map area. Takes a few hours to learn it well, but it will give you heaps of information.

The Home Map will look like this for the above address 995 Burragorang Rd, The Oaks.xNSWPlanningSchemeMap.thumb.png.9f9acfaa2173e5328617d363eaa04963.png

• Informative 2

It's a pity the federal government, does Not put a caviet , on the properties it gives to local councils. 

Who will get that ( cheap to the Chinese) WA airport .

spacesailor

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Carbon Canary said:

When the site was up for sale back in 2019, the AFR ran an article on it.

Here is an excerpt…..

“The entire property is heritage listed but the "heritage item" is the historic runway. It's understood that to unlock the development potential of the land, an improvement would need to be made to the airstrip.”

AFR Sep 4, 2019

From my understanding:

The airfield is constructed on a small flood plain/bottom of a valley (About 1/3 as long again as the current airfield )

The "main" runway was originally a raised strip for much of its length, above the potential for local flooding.

There is a short , mainly used for parking "cross strip towards the southern end

At some time in the past, the runway material was "robbed, to build a raised Burragorang Road, cutting through the airfield (as above).

(The existing parallel grass strips, were either taxi ways or just width extensions of the origional strip.)

The recent proposal calls for reinstating the origional centre strip and sealing it (historic reinvention?) - in addition to the humongous cost to do this, there would also need to for  significant engineering works to deal with flood drainage/storm water run off way way more $$$$$$$ .

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, turboplanner said:

So far I haven't found the Local Planning Scheme link, but accidentally found the offshoot to input an address and get a lot of Planning Detail Mapping about the site.

Link:   https://www.planningportal.nsw.gov.au/spatialviewer/#/find-a-property/address

This is an interactive map with a Menu list to bring up various aspects like differnt Zones in the map area. Takes a few hours to learn it well, but it will give you heaps of information.

The Home Map will look like this for the above address 995 Burragorang Rd, The Oaks.xNSWPlanningSchemeMap.thumb.png.9f9acfaa2173e5328617d363eaa04963.png

Thanks Turbs.

• Agree 1

I'm struggling to lear the NSW Planning system in a few hours, but here is the Wollondilly Local Environmental Plan (LEP) which matches up with the Interactive map.

https://www.wollondilly.nsw.gov.au/planning-and-development/guidelines-and-controls/local-environmental-plan/

Not the links for the Plan year by year so you can go back and check when changes occurred etc.

From that you may be able to find the Link where you can punch in the addess and get the existing Planning Reports, Zones etc on the Property.

I still haven't found the Online Planning portal on the Council site which allows you to select the property, then read all the Planning Applications both historical and current, what stage they are at, what decisions were made, what was approved, what was refused.

You might have to phone the Council Planning Manager to get the link to research it.

You should research Existing Rights Use in NSW. I believe it started in the UK not long after the Magna Carta when formal farming started to take place and land owners fenced their land cutting off the path shortcuts. Although the general population didn't own the land, the farmer had to build turnstiles and allow them to use the paths used for hundreds of years.

In this case the Applicant might be a developer or it might be the owner. Anyone can object to a DA, and to have any effect the objection must address the current zoning and what is permitted in the zone, vs the DA and what is the proposed Use (which is often not compliant with the zoning).  The Objectors who have used the airport for years, can object to any issues which would affect their Existing Use rights.

As you can see from the posts so far, it's hard to come in from the outside and do a good planning job of objecting, so I would always recomment hiring a Planning Consultant.

• Winner 1

Werriberri Creek, whose valley floor The Oaks strip occupies, drains a vast area, making where the strip is located susceptible to flooding. I don't know how it faired in 2022 when the rest of the Nepean/Hawkesbury system was swamped, but there is great potential for flooding that would prohibit the erection of any buildings.

I have had a quick chat to the bloke who said he was the developer. It seems that idea is to make it an airpark with dwellings built on the high ground on the western side of the strip and to have hangars built downhill, closer to the strip. That's is very similar to the development that has taken place along Sydney's waterways. This image shows the ridge line to the west of the strip.

image.thumb.png.ed1a1fa6fa16423841e601c2e3daab5b.png

• Like 1

Good photo OMU - shows the origional airfield length very well. Photo a little out of date 36R no longer has the X trip taxi way and its been slightly shortened,  at its southern end by a reduced mowing effort.

The black line showing the western ridge is good but the catchment also includes The Oak township to the east (off photo) and all its new developments going south, likely to be exacerbating storm run of concern's.