Viva Energy buys SkyFuel, drops AirBP cards

It's probably not a huuuge issue for most RecFlyer's who can refuel themselves, but I reckon there's enough out there for this to be a royal PITA, as BP are the only fuel supplier on the airfield...

Many years back I signed up with SkyFuel for their suite of fuel cards, so I could get motion-lotion wherever I needed it, no matter what bowser was installed on the airport. I've not long got an email basically saying Viva Energy has brought out SkyFuel, and WEF 01 July, all AirBP cards will be cancelled. If you want one, you'll need to go through AirBP directly". Which was kinda the problem - AirBP won't, or at least, doesn't want to deal with us plebs directly, hence the SkyFuel arrangement, which I always thought was the ducks nuts for private fliers.

Still, thanks to the staff at SkyFuel for their support and letting me get fuel pretty much anywhere I needed it over the years, it's just a shame your new owners don't want to deal with AirBP - or at leaast, have AirBP deal with us directly to benefit GA. But I guess we should be used to that in Oz, right?

Anyone have an alternative to the AirBP cards for their bowsers that won't accept credit cards and AirBP won't allow you to open an account?

• Informative 1

11 minutes ago, KRviator said:

Anyone have an alternative to the AirBP cards for their bowsers that won't accept credit cards and AirBP won't allow you to open an account?

Viva Energy has their own card: https://www.vivaenergy.com.au/business/aviation/aviation-fuel-card

Looks like we lose another aviation-linked small business. In the case of Skyfuel, I would imagine that it is simply due to the owner reaching retirement age and converting his business to retirement funding. You can't blame him for that. I feel for his loyal employees who have enabled fuel to be available around the State, and have kept those firefighting aircraft fuelled up and ready for instant response. Will they have the yard gates locked behind them? I have it on pretty good authority that the Skyfuel depot at Bankstown is heading for shutdown due to the efforts of the airport leaseholder. There goes another of my Bankstown clients.

1 hour ago, old man emu said:

True, but that won't work at Broken Hill or Moree, where it's an AirBP bowser (for example), and there's no other alternative. That's why the SkyFuel gig was so good, they held the accounts with BP / Viva (Shell) etc etc, and the suppliers charged them, and in turn they billed us (me). They were big enough for AirBP to bother with, but me in my RV who is lucky to use 1000L of BP AvGas a year isn't worth them even picking up the phone it seems.

So even if you stick with SkyFuel and have the Viva & WFS cards, you're still going to be SOL if you need to go somewhere like East coast -> Adelaide via BHI after hours.

I would imagine that it is simply due to the owner reaching retirement age and converting his business to retirement funding. You can't blame him for that.

Not at all. But I'm just disappointed as it is another nail in the coffin of GA. I get that Viva = Shell and Shell & BP are mortal enemies, but this seems like a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Sure, if there's a choice of bowser, Viva/SkyFuel would prefer you to use theirs, but where it's BP-only, well, what happens then? The flier doesn't use that airport, or doesn't fly that route at all because they can't get fuel.

And that does no one any good in the long run.

• Informative 1

It is a wildly long shot of an idea, but what if people wrote to Sales at BP  and explained that, although they were a small users of avgas on an annual basis, they still are customers. Does BP decline to provide small amounts of fuel at its service stations for the person who needs mower fuel? Do they require a minimum purchase of 20 to 30 litres. When a plane needs refuelling, it needs 50+ litres.

I used Skyfuel when I was in Australia. Great service and network so very disappointing to see. We have a similar issue in NZ at the moment. Gofuel was a AIr BP carnet provider however decided to go with Z Aviation. Air BP got wind of it and shut down the Gofuel cards. We only have BP on our airfield so its made it very difficult. Most of us have applied for RD cards who provide Air BP cards.

We have been told that we can apply directly with Air BP however the general feedback is that its a nightmare trying to get a personal or aero club card.

Recommendation at the moment for NZ aircraft operators is RD if you need Air BP pump access.

The whole industry is going through a shuffle.

In a quick check around, I found:

• The Caltex brand has changed to Ampol.
  • Woolworths Fuel business has been sold to EG Group, UK, may brand "EG"
  • Chevron has bought Puma Australia and may use their Caltex brand there.
  • Viva Energy is buying Coles Express
  • Vitol bought Shell's Australian operation

So it's not surprising that the branding and marketing incentives are also in a state of flux.

While RPT Aviation repesents bulk volume sales and would be very attractive to any marketer, GA with its miniscule volume spread across Australia (compare the number of fillings per day with the number of fillings around your town) is harder work, so it may be that it will take a little longer for the new branding to be rolled out.

• Informative 3

Just filled out an application for an Air BP card, only a 20 page document, jeez there’s less admin required in buying a house. My gut feeling is that I’ll be knocked back as BP look like they’re only interested in big fuel users not some guy occasionally needing AVGAS for their RAAUS a/c when a Visa card is not available to be used.

Edited by Bennyboy320
  • Informative 2

As expected GA & RAAUS a/c not able to get an Air BP card. See attached email regarding my application. 

looks like some of these airports that don’t offer visa or Mastercard for fuel will need some extra fuel planning to decide if you can land or overfly & spend your money elsewhere.

IMG_5596.jpeg

• Informative 1

From my post over on 'Prune - a quick and dirty map of BP-only airfields around the country. Subject to corrections of course, and data pulled from the ERSA, and not confirmed or validated in any way...

map.gif

• Informative 1