Undercarriage failure closes Bankstown 12 Aug 2023.

An instructor and student in a Piper Saratoga experienced a failure of undercarriage to lower near Bankstown airport. The instructor declared an emergency, and the airport was closed to allow the aircraft to make a successul belly landing. The aircraft was reported to have operated two days ago without incident. Both occupants walked from the aircraft uninjured.

.SaratogaVH-OAZ.thumb.JPG.0ba63aa739134f73b7d5127e7a973b0f.JPG

Interesting, curious to read POH regarding emergencies with RU if any difference from eg. Arrow, Sierra, Travelair...  The gravity with help of jerking pitch&yaw would do the job..

A couple of things. Why not land on the grass? That would minimise underbody damage & why keep the engine running? Surely windmilling would stop when close to stall speed and minimise prop/hub damage. Then again maybe the pilot isn't the owner & insurance will pay anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

A couple of things. Why not land on the grass? That would minimise underbody damage

That used to be the advice, but there was a discussion on it a few years ago, can't remember the details, but possibly based around the statistics showing a better result on the runway.

1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

& why keep the engine running? Surely windmilling would stop when close to stall speed and minimise prop/hub damage. Then again maybe the pilot isn't the owner & insurance will pay anyway.

3 blade prop is going to take a hit anyway, but maybe he did cut the power after he committed to the landing and touched down before it stopped; he seemed to hesitate at the last minute.

10 hours ago, kgwilson said:

Why not land on the grass?

Quite simply, an unsealed surface has too many lumps and bumps which might snag something on the undersurface of the aircraft and cause it to suddenly change direction. By landing on a sealed surface, you are fairly certain not to jag anything.

Just  a supposition on my part, but I would think that if a manufacturer designs a plane to have its landing gear retract, they would design the fuselage to handle a landing in the event that the wheels did not come down. Something like a solid keel that would act like a skid.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

At most airports the grass is smooth and mowed often and in many cases is an alternative to the seal as it is at South Grafton. Our runway is 50 metres wide with only the centre 8 meters sealed. Funny thing is that we have had 2 wheels up landings in the past 18 months & both landed on the seal & messed up their bellies substantially. I land on the grass as a matter of course. My tyres thank me every time.

You can't assume there's no obstacles on the grass at many airports. You don't taxi off the taxiways.  The emergency extension procedures should have worked. Maybe maintenance is lacking.  Nev

• Informative 1