My spies tell me Jabiru has been sold

5 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Mallory metal is used for crankshaft balance. It's hard and is pressed in to a carefully machined recess with an interference fit. The DU would be extremely hard and beyond our ability to work it and I don't know about the safety aspects of it at all. OR how you would purchase it.  Nev

I actually asked what happens to it at the end of the aircrafts life. I am surprised you had never heard of it's use in aircraft. I didn't ask where I could buy it or how to work with it.

There is a show on sky News at the minute about the nuclear debate.

A lot of people are pulling their heads out of the sand . Even extinction rebellion activists promoting nuclear. Let's hope Australia leaves the dark ages and goes nuclear. 

• Like 1

On 19/12/2023 at 3:51 PM, coljones said:

Or, given the shortcuts both mining companies and governments take, until next week.

I can't imagine that there will be much remediation in the Hunter just bloody big holes or the subsidence of Newcastle.

You will find they will turn pits into lakes with parkland around them . It's cheap and easy to do . I know that's the plan for Boddington gold mine in WA when it's finished.

• Informative 1

1 minute ago, BrendAn said:

There is a show on sky News at the minute about the nuclear debate.

A lot of people are pulling their heads out of the sand . Even extinction rebellion activists promoting nuclear. Let's hope Australia leaves the dark ages and goes nuclear. 

Next do the research on (a) the cost of a Nuclear Plant and (b) the lead time in decades. There's no chance of getting enough power production on to the grid before the claimed sea rise wipes out several town and cities in Australia.

• Informative 1
  • Caution 1

12 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

Next do the research on (a) the cost of a Nuclear Plant and (b) the lead time in decades. There's no chance of getting enough power production on to the grid before the claimed sea rise wipes out several town and cities in Australia.

Nuclear power has come a long way from its beginnings. A coal power station takes 3 years to bring online. A Nuclear power station takes 5 years. Not to mention the portable thorium reactors being developed that can be plugged into the grid and up and running quickly 

20 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

Rolls Royce are eyeing off Australia now . They are designing modular reactors to plug into existing coal fired sites so most of the infrastructure is there already. I don't know where you get these lead times from .1950.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, facthunter said:

If you think it's important to discuss Atomic Power it would be in your interests to start a new thread. 

No worries. I will find a nuclear forum.  I just thought there might have been other people interested in the subject here. But it doesn't appear so. 

Do you see SKY News as a reliable source on this (or any) subject? IF it IS it would be a first.  IF you WANT to discuss it start a thread, as I don't feel right about the thread drift now that it's been pointed out , with justification. Nev

57 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Do you see SKY News as a reliable source on this (or any) subject? IF it IS it would be a first.  IF you WANT to discuss it start a thread, as I don't feel right about the thread drift now that it's been pointed out , with justification. Nev

Why are you still going on about it I said I would look for another forum.

15 minutes ago, Carbon Canary said:

Back to the thread……….sort of.

The very first production Jabiru aircraft (LSA 55) is on permanent display at the Narromine Aviation Museum for those that are interested.

People think it is but the one I had is 55-651 serial 0003. The Narromine one is 55-652  serial 0004.

Mine was one of the 3 converted to 912s for hedlow flying school.

Serial 0001 and 2 were 582 powered and scrapped before production as far as I can find out anyway. 

• Informative 3