Hydrogen-powered 'flying car' to be used in emergencies

red750

• Safety features: Distributed Electric Propulsion (DEP), provides safety through redundancy for its passengers and/or cargo. DEP means having multiple propellers and motors on the aircraft so if one or more motors or propellers fail, the other working motors and propellers can safely land the aircraft. Autonomous pilot allows for a safer flight.

From an earlier article. Apparently it will be initially piloted but will have autonomous capability.

• Informative 2

Call me reactionary, but - it is inherently unstable, and requires fly-by-wire. Any failure that involves both assymetric lift and some fault in the artificial stability system will tend to be catastrophic. There's some good footage of the occupants of an F4 ejecting when the ASS failed on takeoff... what's the maintenance overhead on military aircraft with ASS fly by wire?

ICAO targets a once per million flying hours possibility of a catastrophic (causing death or serious injury) failure in an SRE aeroplane; in a good year, we achieve ~1 in 850,000 for structural & systems failures not caused by human errors in operation/maintenance. We all know DO 160 does not garauntee perfect avionics...

Given the failure modes and effects spread of that thing, I do not as yet see a probability of failure that I'd put my neck on.

• Informative 1

3 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Maybe the designers of the ASML Aero machine, also have plans for a high-tech, cheap ejection seat, for their product? :cheezy grin:

Create your own market, BRILLIANT!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, facthunter said:

THAT doesn't compute. This GADGET has fans doing things quickly, in the rotational sense.  Not just falling at 32 ft/sec/sec.  Nev

The falling rate doesn't matter although it will fall fast if it gets upside down with all fans going; the point is it doesn't have wings to slow rotation.

• Like 1

The Joby crash in 2022 was caused by a single propeller blade failure which subsequently damaged other propellers. 

WWW.FLIGHTGLOBAL.COM

One of Joby Aviation's pre-production prototypes broke up mid-flight after losing a propeller blade during envelope-pushing flight-testing in February 2022.

• Informative 1

I dunno, this crowd may be interesting to watch regardless of what view you have of the development and suitability of the technology.

The CEO of Vertiia was previously the CEO of GE Australia and the lot that placed the order (albeit conditional) are significant players - and operate King Airs etc and do medical transfers etc.

So again should be no fools.

i guess all I’m saying is I think this lot are slightly better than ‘wannabe’s’….and at least they are home grown.

Yeah it’s their first attempt, but we need to start somewhere to transition to new energy sources……and I think is better than batteries for this application.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1