Low or high wing.

I'm not talking about the BRS, I mean the "Safe Return Emergency Autoland" - big red button the passenger can push if something happens to the pilot.

Apparently it takes into account nearby terrain, weather, remaining fuel, winds etc to calculate the nearest suitable airport and runway.  Squawks 7700 and advises ATC of the situation with text messages.  Flies the plane down to landing and to a full stop.  All without the passenger touching the controls.

There was an article about the Vision Jet G2+ in the latest Australian Flying magazine which went through its capabilities.

Edited by Marty_d
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

Having a door on only one side bothers me  It's also recommended to have the door ajar so it won't jamb if the structure distorts.  Nev

Yes, we were taught that in training -get the passenger to unlatch the door and hold it ajar. I can't remember if it was easy for the pilot to reach on his own. I used to think it quite chivalrous to have the door on the passenger side - women and children first! Captain last 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

Haven't read this all the way through but just thought I'd point out some low wing planes have doors, not bubble canopies. One I know well is the Piper PA28 Warrior, and all its cousins and brothers .

From what I've heard, the side door on a low wing is a double edged sword. Apparently, if the door pops open in flight it disturbs the airflow over the wing and can be a hazard at low (near stall) air speeds.

That is for doors that open forward. I don't know about gull wing doors. But with gull wing doors, you're back to being trapped in a flip over.

• Informative 2

48 minutes ago, cscotthendry said:

From what I've heard, the side door on a low wing is a double edged sword. Apparently, if the door pops open in flight it disturbs the airflow over the wing and can be a hazard at low (near stall) air speeds.

That is for doors that open forward. I don't know about gull wing doors. But with gull wing doors, you're back to being trapped in a flip over.

It's much like a regular car door on the piper. If it popped open, air pressure is going to keep it relatively closed. I don't know why you would have a forward opening door on an aircraft. On cars they call them suicide doors for a reason 😄

images (63).jpeg

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Agree 2

Door popped open on a Bonanza I was in once - no big deal. Top latch above your head wasn’t closed properly from memory. Quick diversion to Coonamble to shut it and then back on our way to Lightning Ridge.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

piper door is easy to reclose in flight (it also has the upper latch)  AS LONG AS you do it as the POH tell you to.  (open storm window, close vents)  . that storm window is something special isnt it ? I thought it was for getting a bit of cool air and for your ground crew to pass you the loading manifest through the window, but  no, its for looking where you are going when you cant see where you are going. 

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RFguy said:

piper door is easy to reclose in flight (it also has the upper latch)  AS LONG AS you do it as the POH tell you to.  (open storm window, close vents)  . that storm window is something special isnt it ? I thought it was for getting a bit of cool air and for your ground crew to pass you the loading manifest through the window, but  no, its for looking where you are going when you cant see where you are going. 

I popped the hatch on take off in a Cherokee P28-140 once (hadn't bothered to read the POH), was probably in a hurray and didn't pull the latch all the way. There was an explosive bang and the hatch was sitting about 75 mm out in the slipstream. Had a couple of goes but couldn't pull it in, so landed.

The storm window is also a place for your nose when all your passengers are throwing up on a bumpy trip. The ones in the rear get it on your neck and down your back. Beautiful clean air and you can still fly the aircraft.

The 140 and Warrior have a longer wheelbase than RA aircraft designs, and make perfectly smooth landings where the passenger can't tell the touch down point if the nose is pulled right up in ground effect, so the whole process lends itself to a slower landing speed and much less kinetic energy left for a flip over.

but you dont turn the ignition for the stall warning test, you turn on the MASTER switch, and also run the fuel pump to dump the gascolator 

The low wing in  ground effect is the reason it lands easily. If the mainwheels are a long way back you can't hold the nosewheel off once there's weight on the Mains.  Nev

3 hours ago, RFguy said:

but you dont turn the ignition for the stall warning test, you turn on the MASTER switch, and also run the fuel pump to dump the gascolator 

If I could edit it more than 15 minutes afterwards I would so you could find my joke funny 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

On 29/02/2024 at 3:41 PM, cscotthendry said:

Not so, the door cannot open enough to cause any problems because of the slip stream. I flew to Tumby Bay from Parafield with the door open in a PA28.

• Like 1

no issue with the door open of a PA28 . might cost you a bit of drag , that's all.  and a bit of noise. 

as for creating a problem near stall?  no. Not compared to what those big wings are doing. Not sure where that wive's tail came from. (no offence to the wives, either) 

• Like 1