Low or high wing.

Apologies in advance if I offend anyone.   When I look at low wing AC I wonder if you pilots of them worry about if you flipped it on its back say during a dead stick landing in a paddock for example. Do they have means of opening the canopy somehow.  And the other thing is does it get hot under them bubbles and do you get sunburn't. 

Can’t imagine anyone getting offended. They’re good questions that have been thought by lots of people before you.

The sunburn bit is easy enough; a hat to start with and a sunshade above you if necessary. If you’re too hot, climb. However, how to exit a flipped low-wing? Add that one to the list of imponderables along with what to do if the wing falls off, and other such nightmares (and yes, I know you can carry a hammer and attempt to break the unbreakable window, but for me that remains a case of please, please, please don’t happen 🫣).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BrendAn said:

Apologies in advance if I offend anyone.   When I look at low wing AC I wonder if you pilots of them worry about if you flipped it on its back say during a dead stick landing in a paddock for example. Do they have means of opening the canopy somehow.  And the other thing is does it get hot under them bubbles and do you get sunburn't. 

There is a long and very detailed thread about that on this site.

• Like 2

That fear of what happes in a noseover in a paddock is a big part of why I fly a high wing. That and tha fact that I burn easily. I live in the skin cancer capitol of the world (Qld) so it's a real issue for me.

Plus, I fly to see the sights on the ground. A low wing obscures a lot of downward view. Then if you add a sunshade on top … well I don't see the point of being up there anymore if you can't see down and can't see up…

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

It is not true for all low wings that they are hard to get out of if flipped.

It would be easy to get out of a flipped over PA28 cherokee etc if it flipped over.  Has a bit tall fin, also. I have no idea how you might flip one over though. 

PA28 is a low wing but has a side door. (and a baggage side door you can get in and out) . also in a PA28 you have a roof over your head. no sunburn. 

I have seen a couple of low wing coanopies  at oshkosh and they had pins around the canopy that unlocked the whole thing to come off into pieces...

Brendan, its time you got a Cherokee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RFguy said:

It is not true for all low wings that they are hard to get out of if flipped.

It would be easy to get out of a flipped over PA28 cherokee etc if it flipped over.  Has a bit tall fin, also. I have no idea how you might flip one over though. 

PA28 is a low wing but has a side door. (and a baggage side door you can get in and out) . also in a PA28 you have a roof over your head. no sunburn. 

I have seen a couple of low wing coanopies  at oshkosh and they had pins around the canopy that unlocked the whole thing to come off into pieces...

Brendan, its time you got a Cherokee.

The only time expect a flip might be an outlanding in a soft or ploughed paddock.

6 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

The only time expect a flip might be an outlanding in a soft or ploughed paddock.

No point guessing, take a look at the incident reports and you'll find hundreds of flip overs through the years, mostly on well developed (bitumen/hard surface) airstrips, and you'll find the reasons.

• Like 2

I trained in high wings and fly low wings. 

These days my focus is RAA level aircraft.

While all aircraft that fly are great and have many good features, there are only a few that have a truly wide performance envelope. For me this means  30 (-) knot stall -  130 (+) knot cruise.

I only know of one high wing that can achieve this, the Pipistrel Virus SW, while there are several low wings that do or at least come close.

High wings are certainly more comfortable on the ground on a hot/sunny day - once in the air (altitude) it doesn't seem (to me) that there is significant difference.

Visibility is in equal measure plus & minus. The high wing gives a good view down but obstructs  a lot in a turn and up. The low wing has unobstructed visibility in a turn & up, while the down view is partially obstructed by the wing. These features are important especially in the circuit. The pilot must adapt to/accommodate these design features.

In my opinion, accident survivability has more to do with stall speed (low impact) than issues of exiting the aircraft

If I could afford it, I would go for a Pipistrel Virus SW but am more than happy with my Sonex.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Landing too fast with a tricycle U/C is a good way to flip the plane over. It's usually easier to get in a high wing small plane and you can bank them more in x winds when landing.   Nev

• Informative 1

24 minutes ago, facthunter said:

It's usually easier to get in a high wing small plane

That can be a significant issue. My mum used to tell me stories about her brothers flying gliders before the war, and I think she was chuffed when I started flying. However, by that stage, neither she nor dad were physically capable of climbing up into my low wing Tecnam, so I never got to take them up. Regrets, I’ve had a few…

Of course there’s a related disadvantage too. How many times have you knocked your head on the wing when preping the plane (or is that just me 🙄)?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Arron25 said:

😏Never seen an 'ultimate pilot' with its wings under its guts 😜

That only makes sense from an engineering perspective due the wing fold. 

Having owned a low wing RV for 3 years, no you don't get sunburnt, no it is not hot, can have canopy open during taxi and climb is rapid into cool air. 

Inverting in an off field landing? Yes it is a concern, mitigated by having a reliable engine and plenty of fuel and oil. 

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Haven't read this all the way through but just thought I'd point out some low wing planes have doors, not bubble canopies. One I know well is the Piper PA28 Warrior, and all its cousins and brothers .

• Like 2