Class 5 medical declaration. My experience

So this time, to avoid a full day  journey into Darwin to see my medical man I took a punt on the new Class 5 declaration.

Attempt 1: Went through the online process,  paid my money then…… nothing. No certificate.

Attempt 2: Went through the online process,  pressed submit and got a message saying an appointment was being booked for me with an Aviation Medical  Examiner! (as required for a Class 1 or Class 2).  Unbelievable. I have just received an email from  CASA confirming that I will need to go to a DAME for my Class 5. How is it possible that those two systems can be conflated? 

So I called CASA and spent an hour speaking to two lovely people who helped me the best they could. They could see my first application and payment -but couldn’t explain why a certificate hadn’t been issued.

They could  see my second errant application and killed it from the system as it was preventing me from getting back in. They told me to log back out and start over.

Attempt 3:  Went through the online process and paid a second time.

‘Error Occurred while processing your request. Contact CASA’.

Have other people been through the Class 5 medical route? What have your experiences been?

Cheers 

Alan 

I'm about to apply for mine. I know others on here have been through the process with no apparent problems, so I'd be very interested to know why your application ran into problems.

1 hour ago, NT5224 said:

So this time, to avoid a full day  journey into Darwin to see my medical man I took a punt on the new Class 5 declaration.

Attempt 1: Went through the online process,  paid my money then…… nothing. No certificate.

Attempt 2: Went through the online process,  pressed submit and got a message saying an appointment was being booked for me with an Aviation Medical  Examiner! (as required for a Class 1 or Class 2).  Unbelievable. I have just received an email from  CASA confirming that I will need to go to a DAME for my Class 5. How is it possible that those two systems can be conflated? 

So I called CASA and spent an hour speaking to two lovely people who helped me the best they could. They could see my first application and payment -but couldn’t explain why a certificate hadn’t been issued.

They could  see my second errant application and killed it from the system as it was preventing me from getting back in. They told me to log back out and start over.

Attempt 3:  Went through the online process and paid a second time.

‘Error Occurred while processing your request. Contact CASA’.

Have other people been through the Class 5 medical route? What have your experiences been?

Cheers 

Alan 

It’s CASA mate, did you really expect anything else? AeroMedical is a large part of why I am giving up flying?

• Winner 1

3 minutes ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

Went through perfectly first time.  Are you passing the testing questions correctly ?

Passed test. 

It is an IT issue.  On my second attempt  the system  mixed up my Class 5 Declaration with an application for Class 1 or 2 medical certificate and sent me to a DAME. I have a  bizarre  document from CASA requesting me to go get a medical to progress my Class 5 Declaration.

The whole point of Class 5 is to streamline that part of the process. I don’t have any medical conditions.

Alan 

Is CASA planning to let you know when their system is working properly again, or have they gone quiet.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, rgmwa said:

Is CASA planning to let you know when their system is working properly again, or have they gone quiet.

The system will never work properly again...........CASA is making flying safer by making aviating harder. The more costly and complicated, the happier they are. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whilst I never pass up an opportunity to take a shot at CASA, the system worked flawlessly for me....Easier than ordering a Sunday night pizza from Uber.

• Informative 2

Those who have the Class 5 declaration, what does it actually look like? Anything like an actual medical certificate?

My problems are being escalated in the CASA IT department. The staff are being helpful -but our AI overlords seem to have something against me…

Alan 

22 minutes ago, rodgerc said:

Whilst I never pass up an opportunity to take a shot at CASA, the system worked flawlessly for me....Easier than ordering a Sunday night pizza from Uber.

The problem is Rodger the people complaining most likely don't know how to order a pizza or an Uber, and, like the old geysers that used to wander abound the banks saying they were "awful" for not having as many counters, one day there's going to be a puff of fairy dust and it will be learn the systems or nick off.

Tuboplanner: "The problem is Rodger the people complaining most likely don't know how to order a pizza or an Uber, and, like the old geysers that used to wander abound the banks saying they were "awful" for not having as many counters, one day there's going to be a puff of fairy dust and it will be learn the systems or nick off. "

Err..No, period. Your faith in computer systems and technology is touching but misplaced. Computer systems are as unreliable as the people who specify them, let alone  code them. Examples? The British Post Office scandal - ongoing and robodebt in Australia. Imagine the cluster**** possibilities of CASA training an AI if you want a real nightmare.

• Like 2
  • Winner 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

The problem is Rodger the people complaining most likely don't know how to order a pizza or an Uber, and, like the old geysers that used to wander abound the banks saying they were "awful" for not having as many counters, one day there's going to be a puff of fairy dust and it will be learn the systems or nick off.

Hi Turbo

I'm describing my  own experience. I do know how to use the system, order a pizza or an Uber. 

The Issue is clearly an IT problem and could happen to anybody. The platform delivering Class 5  declarations is  still just a few weeks old and there are inevitable glitches.

The CASA team were startled when I showed them the machine  had sent me a DAME examination appointment. Remember it’s a Class 5 ‘self assessment’.

It’s like the Robodebt computer sending  a demand for cash to somebody who doesn’t owe any. It’s just a machine gone haywire…

I have  no problem with CASA. 

Alan

Edited by NT5224
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

So what happens now? Are they going to fix the problem and send you the Class 5 or do you have to wait until they've fixed it and and apply again l?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rgmwa said:

So what happens now? Are they going to fix the problem and send you the Class 5 or do you have to wait until they've fixed it and and apply again l?

They’ve escalated my issue up to IT. They’ve been helpful but I’ve already applied three times and paid twice so not keen to apply again. 

I have one paid declaration logged in the system. They just don’t know why the certificate wasn’t issued. I hope they can just nudge that one along.

Alan 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, NT5224 said:

Hi Turbo

I'm describing my  own experience. I do know how to use the system, order a pizza or an Uber. 

The Issue is clearly an IT problem and could happen to anybody. The platform delivering Class 5  declarations is  still just a few weeks old and there are inevitable glitches.

The CASA team were startled when I showed them the machine  had sent me a DAME examination appointment. Remember it’s a Class 5 ‘self assessment’.

It’s like the Robodebt computer sending  a demand for cash to somebody who doesn’t owe any. It’s just a machine gone haywire…

I have  no problem with CASA. 

Alan

Agree, you identified the problem as an IT issue rather than a decaying CASA out to get anyone they can.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, turboplanner said:

Agree, you identified the problem as an IT issue rather than a decaying CASA out to get anyone they can.

Read the Glenn Buckley thread on prune. What's your honest opinion on CASA's actions?
Have you ever held or do you hold an AOC?

6 minutes ago, Student Pilot said:

Read the Glenn Buckley thread on prune. What's your honest opinion on CASA's actions?
Have you ever held or do you hold an AOC?

Good point; when you read that ongoing saga it takes care of itself.

That's the best way to know. Just buying charts etc won't do it. You have to be RUNNING something using planes for a living to get the real effect  Nev

3 minutes ago, facthunter said:

That's the best way to know. Just buying charts etc won't do it. You have to be RUNNING something using planes for a living to get the real effect  Nev

Really? You need to be running an AOC to apply for a Class 5 Medical?

53 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I think you are trying to Verbal me?  Nev

If we had numbered posts I could point out the one which pointed to a glitch in the software causing the problem rather than an onslaught by CASA.