low fly over boneyard

20 hours ago, Marty_d said:

That looks like way too much fun to be legal. 

AGREEEED!

Can't say I find the sound (weak) of the 2/ to be very reassuring🙃

55 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

AGREEEED!

Can't say I find the sound (weak) of the 2/ to be very reassuring🙃

At least you already have a parachute on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, facthunter said:

What's the minimum height they can be effective?.  Nev

They should be effective at all heights shouldn't they.  

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

What's the minimum height they can be effective?.  Nev

Just thinking about this. Do you mean they may have a high sink rate. I was thinking of normal parachutes but of course these powered ones would be a lot smaller I guess. 

1 minute ago, facthunter said:

They take a while to unfurl.  There would be a recommended MINIMUM Height.  Nev

They lay them out on the runway and open the throttle. The chute reacts to moving through the air and deploys, swig upwards and from there they are hanging in a taut chute, so theoretically very safe; however:

At my RC airfield a PPC dropped in and took the President up for a ride.....there was a crosswind ......the wheel on the PPC hooked on the boundary fence but finally broke the wire.

The chute can oscillate on take off, and while the takoff and landing roll are short they don't have the precise control surfaces of a conventional aircraft so there's a lot of drifting and a big all-over field is best.

Like any other aircraft flying below 500' while the view is great, a SWER line will take them out.

• Like 1

It's a completely different situation to jumping out of a plane. If you did it the way described , you'd end up wrapped on the Tail feathers, and I'd have to climb along with the knife they gave me and cut you loose.   Nev

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, facthunter said:

They take a while to unfurl.  There would be a recommended MINIMUM Height.  Nev

I think we are talking.about 2 different things. The video shows powered parachutes like turbo is talking about. And that is what I meant when I said they already have a parachute on.  But they do carry a small reserve as well which would need some height to work.

Edited by BrendAn
  • Like 1

45 minutes was too much time to watch for me. Looks like fun but they DO have a bit of difficulty not falling to one side when taking off.. There's no emergency chute  is there?  Nev

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, facthunter said:

45 minutes was too much time to watch for me. Looks like fun but they DO have a bit of difficulty not falling to one side when taking off.. There's no emergency chute  is there?  Nev

Yes, a bit like the old Benson GyroCopters that killed a lot of people, but if you turn into that side the chute picks up and you take off in that direction.

I was going to use one for aerial surveillance in western NSW so spent a lot of time studying them and realised you really needed an all over field to be successful. If you wanted to land on a bush track for example you couldn't always guarantee you'd get down so I dropped the idea.

When you look at the open days there's a lot of line cutting by the props when the chutes fill, you start the roll and the chute collapses again while you are going slow etc.

• Informative 1

I have watched Tucker Gotts channel for a long time now. They are a simple cheap and fun way to fly. The weather conditions have to be right, any negative G results in a partial or complete collapse of the wing so no flying in sketchy conditions. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, facthunter said:

yes. some of them have an emergency chute that they throw out by hand .

Do paramotors have a reserve parachute?

Reserve Parachutes - Team Fly Halo

Cheap Insurance. Reserve parachutes are an absolute must-have in paramotoring - that is completely non-negotiable on our team.
Edited by BrendAn
  • Informative 2