Aviation in Australia, Sourcing Parts

Good morning,

I've been working on my own aircraft for a couple of years now and designing various parts and aircraft. i have found the road to be relatively difficult initially trying to source parts for aircraft builds/homebuilt etc. especially when compared to USA. Admittedly, everything is available but i have found more often than not, specialized items will need to be sourced from the USA. I do understand aviation in Australia doesn't have the following like it does over there, but it does get me wondering a few things.

-What are some of the biggest parts or materials hurtles you have had

-what would you like to see more readily available?

-any particular material/parts you were unable to source?

Cheers

Rob

4 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

What’s wrong with buying from the US when they have high volume fresh stock, lower pricing, faster delivery.

During my build i sourced parts from us but the freight was sometimes twice as cost of part recently purchased a psru freight was 150 more than cost of part i have purchased from czech and ukraine freight was very modest

• Informative 1

26 minutes ago, gareth lacey said:

During my build i sourced parts from us but the freight was sometimes twice as cost of part recently purchased a psru freight was 150 more than cost of part i have purchased from czech and ukraine freight was very modest

The secret is, like Australia, doing the work of researching the market. I'll admit it can be a long haul, but you'll be able to find suppliers who sell below full retain and don't mess around with price and quality. Those are gold.

Edited by turboplanner

Freight never used to be terrible a few years back, but the prices have definitely been inflated and is ridiculous for the most part. There are a few suppliers here and there that are reasonable for smaller things, but the question still needs to be asked, what would we want to see more of available in Australia?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, facthunter said:

People prepared to build and design their own SAFE & Affordable, Planes. That was supposed to be the idea at one stage, Nev

I completely agree there

• Like 1

I built my fuselage frames on a 1.2x5.0 table  no jig but when I joined the frames I did use a pre made timber frame to get it aligned , and as my aircraft is scratch built it's mostly made up as I go forward just a general plan in my head here are 2 pics

FB_IMG_1707970536319.jpg

FB_IMG_1707970514770.jpg

• Like 3

My building and modifying days are over but doing it alone wouldn't suite me much. If a few are doing the same thing it's so much better. When the SAAA did away with the Old and bold I pulled out. as I clearly would have been subsidizing the very active group.  Aviation can have too  many ego's involved at times. .SAAA was pretty active with some interesting stuff  in the hands of some people. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I am a bit of a loner myself on my build but do ask a lot questions of others if i dont know also did a lot of research on this build i prefer to work alone but  i do have experienced people to ask (builders of homebuilt) i come from a background in fabrication and sheetmetal so can and have applied my experience to my build  i am about to fabricate my exhaust headers pipes for my engine

• Informative 1

Using Packed sand? Stainless is the thinnest wall,.   Where I grew UP (Newcastle) in the 50's you wouldn't have to go far to make or get anything made. Nearly everyone was an artisan Blacksmith Moulder Patternmaker Panel beater  Could make the whole front Mudguard. I still ake Pistons and antfriction Bearings today If I can't get one that does the job, To adapt some  thing is Often as difficult as reproducing the original Part.  Nev

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gareth lacey said:

I am a bit of a loner myself on my build but do ask a lot questions of others if i dont know also did a lot of research on this build i prefer to work alone but  i do have experienced people to ask (builders of homebuilt) i come from a background in fabrication and sheetmetal so can and have applied my experience to my build  i am about to fabricate my exhaust headers pipes for my engine

Skippy's got current experience with that.

• Like 2

No i am using1.6 mandrel bends and cutting of holes in tube easy to weld and a small muffler all ms  i dont have tig gear any more so ss tig is out i recently welded a new pipe on a 40 year ol ms pipe on a 172 so ms does and can last for many years,it will last me anyway

• Informative 1

16 minutes ago, gareth lacey said:

No i am using1.6 mandrel bends and cutting of holes in tube easy to weld and a small muffler all ms  i dont have tig gear any more so ss tig is out i recently welded a new pipe on a 40 year ol ms pipe on a 172 so ms does and can last for many years,it will last me anyway

You could always cerakote the exhaust too if you are using mild steel. Mild steel has less tendency to crack too

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, gareth lacey said:

I built my fuselage frames on a 1.2x5.0 table  no jig but when I joined the frames I did use a pre made timber frame to get it aligned , and as my aircraft is scratch built it's mostly made up as I go forward just a general plan in my head here are 2 pics

FB_IMG_1707970536319.jpg

FB_IMG_1707970514770.jpg

Looks great. What design is it.

Wings are similair to rv6 hershey bar style with 75 litres in each d box tanks are constructed of fibreglass ,wider than a rv 1200mm shoulder to shoulder plenty of rudder authority slider canopy and longer by 300mm, 165 hp engine ,so slightly rv ish but with my own differences2024-02-15-15-43-19.thumb.png.8e9e3c04870963f1639f0fe174783a24.png

20211125_102507.jpg

• Like 2

MS is fine but you can't get  it with thin walls like you could in in 1912. Small Planes put on weight easily. You don't even put a lot of Paint on them..  Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

On 30/03/2024 at 12:54 PM, gareth lacey said:

Homebuilt seems to be on the wane here other than lots of  vans aircraft 

Vans was/is the current big bore engine favorit but if you have an interest in economy of purchase operation (as I do):

• Sonex aircraft - seem to be particularly favoured in Victoria.
  • Very advanced (composite) kits from several European suppliers.

• Like 2