How does a pilot with a brain tumour,  get to keep his licence , with the only ,

( to date ) . Infringement,  he must fly with a duly qualified pilot ,

Who has the ability to take command. 

Flying commercial, not passenger Cessna twin .

spacesailor

I have always understood that what kills/injures people in a crash, is most often rapid deceleration - your organs (especially the brain) are traumatised by the sudden stop.  If this be true, you can be in aircraft built like a tank (not literally Nev) and you will still not survive a high speed crash. 

Lowe the stall speed, confers the best chance for a low speed landin/crash, the greater the chances are the crew will survive, even walk away. Stall speed is not directly associated with aircraft weight however where the overall/take off weight is restricted by legislation, the lighter the aircraft, the most likely it is to have a low stall (other factors will be wing design & flap type).

Clever design/materials make for a safer aircraft - weight is very much a dual edged sword.

• Like 1

The Hummel

Was designed to collapse in a segmented way .

As one survivor put it, " it seemed to collapse around me " . After an almost 

Vertical crash into a parking lot . ( https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theledger.com%2Fstory%2Fnews%2F2007%2F04%2F19%2Fman-crashes-plane-in-geico-parking-lot%2F25775409007%2F&psig=AOvVaw3RjsJqMgcYvwuZFrOwbkaG&ust=1712402161941000&source=images&cd=vfe&opi=89978449&ved=0CBIQjRxqFwoTCMCZiL_5qoUDFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE )

There seems to be quite a few ' Walkaway ' crashes documented. 

Even one in Western Australia.  Were I asked after the health of that pilot. 

spacesailor

On 05/04/2024 at 3:35 PM, Area-51 said:

Well you are going to have to do the additional training for big pants aviation either way. "Pay money, gain access", same all over the planet except for dogs cats birds fish and anything else non human except politicians.

I have no interest in flying in controlled airspace or even long trips for that matter. I have an xair rag and tube for burning around my local area. The reason I thought of changing to GA is purely because it is so hard to finish my raaus certificate here.  The club is booked out all the time and because I have weeks in between lessons I go back to square one each time.  I am thinking of selling the plane and sticking to ground based hobbies. 

There is far too much bullsh#t to go through when you just want to fly around the local area at 60 knots in good weather.  Those head tracking setups in rc are really appealing, I flew rc for a long time and loved it. I can understand pilot training has to cover a lot of scenarios but do I keep paying $320 p/h trying to get a certificate I may never receive.

• Like 1

Lower stall speed come with less penetration. Makes the plane Harder to control particularly where the wing loadings are very low. Horrible in Gusts.  This one has sat. Hope some sense can be made of it. Nev

• Like 2

Welcome. 

To my world .

Love flying.  But can't do that bureaucracy. 

Education isn't good enough to pass those tests .

spacesailor

• Like 1

Brendon It was far more interesting earlier on Any open Hangar was a just walk in thing, You saw how things broke Bullshitters were less numerous but never entirely absent.  Nev

• Like 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Brendon It was far more interesting earlier on Any open Hangar was a just walk in thing, You saw how things broke Bullshitters were less numerous but never entirely absent.  Nev

I understand there is a need for a lot of training for people flying further and in faster aircraft. But the auf was what got me interested years ago and I was silly enough to think it was still like that.  Remember when you could go to Holbrook for  2 weeks ,stay on the airfield and go home with your certificate. As quite a few have mentioned before ,it would be great to have something like the auf so people can still learn and fly in rag and tube.  I think raaus mean well, they want everyone to be safe but they are ga now not ultralight. As good as anyway.

Holbrook was very Interesting. A four stroke was fairly rare. Some of the engines were in worse condition that a Lawnmower should be. the 2 cyl Victa was Junk. AUF was a bit like you needed to know the right people in Canberra to stay out of trouble but they ALL flew for the right reason.. You can't pretend to fly a thruster or a drifter. It's fairly obvious if you aren't on top of it.  But they ALL are Just another aeroplane. Just fly more often and Pick the conditions .Flying those things all the way to the national meet was a pretty  REAL thing to take on..   . There was a middle aged Instructor from eastern Europe who really impressed me. People like HE was will teach you ALL that you need to know. I hope someone knows the Man I mean. Nev

8 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

$320/hr for RAA training? That seems a bit steep to me - My last GA training,  18 months ago, cost $300/hr

Ga at our club is over $400p/h. 

If you do raaus at Moorabbin you are paying around $420 p/h.

It's expensive when you can't do regular lessons. 

18 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Holbrook was very Interesting. A four stroke was fairly rare. Some of the engines were in worse condition that a Lawnmower should be. the 2 cyl Victa was Junk. AUF was a bit like you needed to know the right people in Canberra to stay out of trouble but they ALL flew for the right reason.. You can't pretend to fly a thruster or a drifter. It's fairly obvious if you aren't on top of it.  But they ALL are Just another aeroplane. Just fly more often and Pick the conditions .Flying those things all the way to the national meet was a pretty  REAL thing to take on..   . There was a middle aged Instructor from eastern Europe who really impressed me. People like HE was will teach you ALL that you need to know. I hope someone knows the Man I mean. Nev

Not real sure we are on the same page here. I was talking about Holbrook flying school which had some thrusters and you could book your course which includes onsite accommodation.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Sounds to me like the live-in/intensive training might be your most cost effective option.

Don't know if it's done anywhere now. That's why I first mentioned ga. I can do that here in another school that is not so busy. I have listed the ultralight. If it sells I will go back to RC models. I have enjoyed the training in raaus but after nearly 3 years and no ticket I am over it.

Edited by BrendAn

It was at the aerodrome, west of the town. I only know of the ONE and I think its maybe not active. . A compressed course has its good and Bad aspects. You always need consolidation and follow-up. A few months later you might be disappointed by your performance.   Nev

• Informative 1

Just now, RFguy said:

Cowra is about $230/hour with instructor.

That is a bargain

• Like 1

But those ' lower ' educated wan-a-be's .

Will still have big problems getting through their test's. 

Not just a safe pilot . Pass that " basic " then more & more ,tests keep coming. 

Is the ads-b .proficiency test on the cards yet . We can't have uneducated usage.

Like radio , must pass a stringent test . Even tho you have other radio transmitting licenses.  & still not from ground to air .

Like my CFI told me " I'm wasting his time " .

' netflix ' cheaper than a couple of hours gasoline.  And I don't upset the CFI .LoL

spacesailor

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RFguy said:

RA, and not for profit.

Thanks. Just looked up Cowra aero club. Would be good weather too. Down here the weather can be pretty ordinary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrendAn said:

If you do raaus at Moorabbin you are paying around $420 p/h.

NOPE. At Moorabbin a Sling 2 is $364 to 368 dual.  Foxbat $328 dual. Also a Jabiru and Gazelle for training there.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, djpacro said:

NOPE. At Moorabbin a Sling 2 is $364 to 368 dual.  Foxbat $328 dual. Also a Jabiru and Gazelle for training there.

I rang a flying school at Moorabbin and that's the price I got. It was oasis. Do you think he gave me a GA rate.

Edited by BrendAn