hoping you blokes or ladies can provide an answer .

i have been trying to find out about raaus hours counting towards an rpl.

the casa site states the holder of a rpc can convert to an rpl .

i want to know if  raaus student pilot hours can be used towards rpl if the student has not got his rpc yet.

Edited by BrendAn

Have done this conversion. The GA cfi will consider total hours of aviation experience in your log book along with any existing airframe and or nav endorsements.

Bare in mind the GA school may want to milk some extra value out of you, so it pays to shop around first.

The easiest and cheapest pathway forward to big pants aviation is to complete Ra certificate with navs before rpl conversion which will include both written and flight exams. You can apply for a CASA ARN number on line straight away.

A conversation with any GA flight school will give you a clear picture of the steps required. 

Depending where you are located be prepared and expect that you may also require an asic! 😀

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Area-51 said:

Have done this conversion. The GA cfi will consider total hours of aviation experience in your log book along with any existing airframe and or nav endorsements.

Bare in mind the GA school may want to milk some extra value out of you, so it pays to shop around first.

The easiest and cheapest pathway forward to big pants aviation is to complete Ra certificate with navs before rpl conversion which will include both written and flight exams. You can apply for a CASA ARN number on line straight away.

A conversation with any GA flight school will give you a clear picture of the steps required. 

Depending where you are located be prepared and expect that you may also require an asic! 😀

Thank you. That's the info I was looking for.

11 minutes ago, Reynard said:

…..and a medical.

Medical is self declared. Same as raaus

• Like 1

When you go for the flight review to get your RPL Brendan, study the POH of the aircraft you will be flying. They can all be found online. If you fly correct climb and approach air speeds, know how and when to use the mixture control etc the instructor will be impressed. 

Sit in the aircraft or a similar model for an hour and familiarize yourself with the cockpit. Read through the check lists.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

18 minutes ago, Area-51 said:

Self declared medical will restrict you to 10000' and 1 pax

10,000ft - not much of a restriction in Australia

1pax -  not much of a restriction. Long gone are the days when friends & family were queing up to fly with me. This seems to be the norm for most private/recreational pilots.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

BrendAn,

Out of idle curiosity why do you want to go GA?

I went the other way and would not go back - for the most part RAA level aircraft provide a much better flying experince, cheaper and often better performance - what's not to like?

• Like 2

Bare in mind there is chatter on the horizon about Ra access into controlled zones somewhere in the future of things; so if you are doing ga just to access airspace you may be wasting time and money but still be ahead of the curve.

• Informative 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

BrendAn,

Out of idle curiosity why do you want to go GA?

I went the other way and would not go back - for the most part RAA level aircraft provide a much better flying experince, cheaper and often better performance - what's not to like?

its nothing against raaus. i am struggling to get instructors to finish my last few hours. there are more ga instructors in our area .  its either that or i may have to go somewhere like wings out west but its expensive to go away and pay accommodation and fuel etc.

Edited by BrendAn

24 minutes ago, Area-51 said:

Bare in mind there is chatter on the horizon about Ra access into controlled zones somewhere in the future of things; so if you are doing ga just to access airspace you may be wasting time and money but still be ahead of the curve.

The chatter as you say was about a decade ago.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BrendAn said:

its nothing against raaus. i am struggling to get instructors to finish my last few hours. there are more ga instructors in our area .  its either that or i may have to go somewhere like wings out west but its expensive to go away and pay accommodation and fuel etc.

Pay the money and go see dan at wings out west; you will come out the other side with tailwheel ticket and some starter stol experience. Ken out at narrabri will hammer you into good shape pretty quickly as well and you'll pick up valuable nav knowledge along the way; don't expect lazy or sloppy performance to be accepted, you're there to learn how to be a proficient aviator. Lieutenant kingaby at yhec will also show you the ropes pretty well.

some airfields have cheap bunk house accomodation; its not the ritz.

Motor gliders are cheaper to build hours on than ga and ra but you need to pay annual gfa and club fees to get started

How many hours have you left to go on your certificate?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Area-51 said:

Pay the money and go see dan at wings out west; you will come out the other side with tailwheel ticket and some starter stol experience. Ken out at narrabri will hammer you into good shape pretty quickly as well and you'll pick up valuable nav knowledge along the way; don't expect lazy or sloppy performance to be accepted, you're there to learn how to be a proficient aviator. Lieutenant kingaby at yhec will also show you the ropes pretty well.

some airfields have cheap bunk house accomodation; its not the ritz.

Motor gliders are cheaper to build hours on than ga and ra but you need to pay annual gfa and club fees to get started

How many hours have you left to go on your certificate?

4 hrs solo.

• Like 1

Depending on how competent you are expect at least 2hr minimum with another instructor before picking back up on those 4hrs to go solo; if you're proficient and they don't milk you maybe even 1hr; any instructor is going to use that first hour to assess where you are at; and don't forget you may be in an unfamiliar aircraft, so expect to feel a bit all over the shop. Personally i find it takes at least 5hr minimum to get accustomed to any unfamiliar airframe; and that has not changed from day one for me. So if you can get into the same aircraft as before you will reduce the need for familiarisation but miss out on the experience of flying an alternative airframe. Remember the instructor is there to ensure as best as they can that you don't go out and end yourself, so if you get tough love hurled at you at times there is a good reason for it... Learn from every flight.

When you stop learning from every flight its time to stop flying.

Go get your wings.

19 hours ago, turboplanner said:

From Area-51 "There is chatter on the horizon about Ra access into controlled zones somewhere in the future of things; so if you are doing ga just to access airspace you may be wasting time and money but still be ahead of the curve."

The chatter as you say was about a decade ago.

According to retiring RAAus Ops Mgr Jill Bailey last week they are hoping for CTA access for appropriately equipped RAAus aircraft late 2025 or early 2026.......

They wanted to get 760kg stuff done first.

4 minutes ago, Neil_S said:

According to retiring RAAus Ops Mgr Jill Bailey last week they are hoping for CTA access for appropriately equipped RAAus aircraft late 2025 or early 2026.......

If you check back through the posts you'll find what you need to fly into CTA.

1 hour ago, Neil_S said:

Disappointing, I was hoping for this year.

Another reason to go RPL ?

15 minutes ago, BurnieM said:

Disappointing, I was hoping for this year.

Another reason to go RPL ?

Well you are going to have to do the additional training for big pants aviation either way. "Pay money, gain access", same all over the planet except for dogs cats birds fish and anything else non human except politicians.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

As an RAA pilot who has CTA training (convert from GA-RAA), I find I rarely (if ever) need/choose to enter CTA.

I am concerned however, about the spread of CTA, on the East Coast of Australia and its potential restrict pilot options, in some locations, for safe transit. I see CTA privileges as a desirable endorsement for those who may feel the need.

I suspect that those wishing to go down this track, will be a relativly small percentage of the RAA membership and largely concentrated on the East Coast and S Victoria.

One one further point   RAA went down the weight increase rabbit hole, for what real gain?  In my opinion pursuing CTA privileges would have addressed a significant safety concern for those pilots so impacted. What can be more important to flyers - the doubtful merits of a weight increase, compared with enhanced safety???

Weight Increase DOESE aid safety where the build strength could be increased with it. We don't all have the wherewithall (or DESIRE)to use Carbon fibre. 

The CASA proposed the 762Kgs Figure obviously with the C-152 and Piper Tomahawk in mind.

Transit THROUGH CTA is the most effective Bang for buck  improvement and helpful for more than who will ever go CTA  "under OUR Banner".  IF something sensible was done about Medicals RAAus would lose quite a few back to GA. Both CASA and RAAus could do with more appropriate "OUR Aviation' related knowledge amongst it's leaders and managers Knowledge rather than Just Authority applied HAS to be better.  To me there DOES seem to be a little bit more of that occurring than the recent past.  Nev

Edited by facthunter
more content.

I had 130 hours TT when I got my RPL...  (now 210h TT) .... I think what I learned after flying the Piper was that 1) it takes a bit of room / time  to pull the aircraft out of a 1500 fpm slip so dont do that too near the ground without experience,  ( vertical inertia of 2.5x the weight aircraft)  and 2) aircraft easier to land actually, (holds more energy (inertia) ) but takes longer to react it is going wrong and you need to do something about it  (Inertia again ) .

Brendan have you started your XC quals  yet ? get that done. it'll be cheaper to do in RA. especially at $2 a litre instead of $3 a litre. XC is when the real utility of flying arrives.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

33 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Weight Increase DOESE aid safety where the build strength could be increased with it.

You've mentioned that several times but I've never seen anyone respond to that.

On the other hand it helps obese people and looked like it would help people with a health problem.

And of course it allowed some cheap old GA airctraft in.

33 minutes ago, facthunter said:

We don't all have the wherewithall (or DESIRE)to use Carbon fibre. 

The weight people needed was a lot more than the weight saving of carbon fibre with the stiffening to take thumps like nose and mains landings, engine torque and vibration, control surface loadings, attachment reinforcements etc.