18 hours ago, Bosi72 said:

Cessna 150 dual in YLEG $264.

Send me a PM if interested.

Bosi has made a generous offer if I decide to go ga I will be taking him up on it. I have found someone local who is going through the conversion to raa instructor now. Will wait and see how he gets on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jackc said:

Word I get is that Qld is an unlicenced  pilots Mecca, and has been for years. Not enough resources to police it.  That costs money they won’t spend, besides IF someone crashes they probably don’t get to know, unless the pilot dies 🤢 What do they do?  Take his/her estate to Court?  RAA won’t investigate anything anyway.  It’s all under the radar unless someone gets caught red handed 

Raaus don't want to chase unlicensed pilots because they can't fine anyone anyway, they are a company. All they can do is pass it on to casa and they don't care unless something goes wrong.

EVERY person who observes what they Think May be a dangerous Activity affecting Aviation is required to notify the CASA.  That's the LAW. There would be significant penalties applying if any of this was followed up. Don't shoot ME. I'm only the messenger.. 

Also  remember that Ignorance of the LAW is NOT an excuse. Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, turboplanner said:

That's exactly what Brent was saying.

Yes totally, and CASA had the chance to fix it all before RAA and leave as it was,  back then they could have simply adopted an FAA FAR Part 103 regime and sanctioned official training etc and we would have it today.  Instead of people flying illegally, like many do now.

And I hope they keep doing it 🤩 Remember the old CB days in the 70s? I do, because I was part of it and then DOC of the day could not handle it, so the Govt created a licence regime and we all happily signed up for it, now the wheel  has turned full circle on it and you don’t need a licence anymore. 🤩 I founded my business that lasted 30 years on the CB regime, then I retired.  An old pilot I know well, would love to fly again and would happily be part of a licence free Part 103, I told him don’t worry about it, we could get a Part 103 kit each, build them and go fly 🤩 His property is miles from anywhere, and not needing a proper landing strip, who could find the place? 🤩 Local resident to CASA official….’you looking for Callangawollop?  You missed the turn off, 300 km back, best you turn around here’ 

🤩🤩

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, facthunter said:

EVERY person who observes what they Think May be a dangerous Activity affecting Aviation is required to notify the CASA.  That's the LAW. There would be significant penalties applying if any of this was followed up. Don't shoot ME. I'm only the messenger.. 

And the man in the street does not know that law, IF they see an Ultralight fly past they would say…..Gee, he is having fun, not even realising he was missing a rego number 🤩 

• Like 1

Covered in the first few words. The more aviation related knowledge the Observer has the More onus to report it is on them. by LAW and the more credibility their testimony will have. Everyone these days carries a camera in their pocket. In the OLD days Plane VH  ABC flew low over my house Was hard to prove as most witnesses had poor ability to estimate  height.. If there's a piccy of a nearby tree with the Plane below it is another matter.  Note I'm only expressing what may happen to you and I've seen the way (We have deeper pockets than YOU) works

• Like 1

Who is gonna see someone flying around a 200,000 acre property?  The neighbours are probably doing the same🤩 

I drove my 9t tip truck 80km along 2 major highways a month ago unreg, no plates.

I drove past a Police Prado parked on the side of the road, gave him a wave and kept going. 
Did not check  if I had a permit……no one cares 🤩 Aircraft even less.

Laws are useless if not properly enforced……..

• Like 2

That ' fiasco ' of REGISTERED aircraft being removed from RaAus registration. BUT could be " grandfathered " to fly,

When never registered , ( only have to say " it has been flown previously " ).

Can I fly my 10-1103 , in Queensland . It was registered. 

I HAVE THOSE AUF PAPERS .

( and my weight is getting closer to flying maximum  weight ).

spacesailor

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spacesailor said:

That ' fiasco ' of REGISTERED aircraft being removed from RaAus registration. BUT could be " grandfathered " to fly,

When never registered , ( only have to say " it has been flown previously " ).

Can I fly my 10-1103 , in Queensland . It was registered. 

I HAVE THOSE AUF PAPERS .

( and my weight is getting closer to flying maximum  weight ).

spacesailor

You had your opportunity and stood him up.

• Like 1

Just saying .

But it would be fantastic to even do those high speed 

Pre-takeoff runs. 

Instead of " close your eyes & dream of " ,

soaring like an eagle.  

spacesailor

• Like 1

Why am I wasting My time? Can we Have the Occasional serious treatment of an important matter, just to prove it IS possible?

Jack my mind is with you. As I said the Law is what it is and extremely unlikely to change. The management want's to Empire build (Like all of them) and flying in CTA is a high priority for quite a few it seems. Not mine I've done enough of it. Getting a PATH around CTA safely and simply is what gives a better quality  flying experience. I'm certain you could get more in a drifter  than a B 707other than some irrelevant bragging rights.  Nev

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, facthunter said:

What do you class as a dangerous activity. People flying small aircraft without passengers in rural areas are hardly a danger to anyone but themselves.

Edited by BrendAn

What I personally think is not of much consequence in this matter. You choose to get a Plane airborne, you  by so  doing  are covered by certain laws in regard to AVIATION which are to the most part ICAO compliant in this and most countries. If not it will be an exempted activity In some countries you CAN legally fly a plane without a licence. But you didn't bring up the Matter of a licence being held but I've assumed that's what's  you had in mind.

There HAS to be some system in case events happen. There's a minimum height you should fly in certain Places and different ones over towns. RURAL areas have houses and shed and animals Powerline etc but planes are legally permitted to fly over fly over these areas providing the rules are observed  IF any apply it's your job as the PIC to find out what they are and abide by them.

I can't see how this reporting thing is wrong in principle..Any responsible person would report something suspicious or dangerous as a matter of course. I would think it would be difficult to make a case for the reverse, but I know  of situations where by reporting matter it would identify  persons who may then be subject to acts of retribution. I suspect that has happened in RAAus/AUF circles in the past at fairly active places where a cowboy doesn't' need or to obey, the  rules and the system would GET the dobber .Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 2

At the expense of sounding like a broken record…..FAA Far Part 103 rules are on 1 A4 page.

Part 103 Aircraft fly to Oshkosh every year and land there under full ATC facilities.

The EAA support the sector at many stages of training help etc.

The FAA don’t wish to complicate the running of Part 103 aircraft and their unlicenced pilots.

They don’t even collate any crash statistics for the sector.  
 We need CASA to recognise the U.S. Part 103 sector and allow it in Australia. 
When people want to progress further, then they go RAAus and then to GA if they step up further. 
We had this system before RAAus.  And since those days the quality and safety of airframes have come along way.  

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I am fully aware of that but was mainly trying to address Brendons question/. I agree with your sentiments but we are a mall  minority now.  The New GA mentality of Empire building and a certain CASA CEO set US back irreparably in my view. Lost of people have run out of Time Patience and hope.Nev

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BrendAn said:

What do you class as a dangerous activity. People flying small aircraft without passengers in rural areas are hardly a danger to anyone but themselves.

The unlicensed pilot in command flying alone not harming anybody may come to grief on a wire. That wire may be the major communication backbone of a remote outback town where a medical emergency has just occurred; eddy the town sergeant has just had a heart attack and requires immediate flying doctor service which just had a near midair with an unidentified light aircraft that ended up hitting wires... with sergeant eddy motionless on the floor, billy the prisoner steals eddy's gun and car keys and goes on an outback rampage after stealing a case of beer from the pub at gunpoint.. with lights and siren blaring billy moves through eighteen communities and six towns mustering support..  within a few short hours billy's gang has swollen to a hoard of angry outback mob continuing to rampage across the dry sunburnt earth in a collection of toyota troopies and mitsubishi pajeros; sergeant eddy is now long dead and the flying doctor PIC is filling out a casa report in a non air conditioned demountable in broome. Bad bad billy meanwhile continues his rage across the outback with his gang breaking into and taking over woomera and pine gap military bases blacking out australia's contribution to the five eyes initiative, resulting in an extended global nuclear exchange due to important messages not getting through between evil people on one side and evil people on the other, causing the internet tiktok and chatgpt to all go off line.. the entire world population under 65 goes nuts and totally looses all capacity to engage with each other causing an apocalypse... all because one guy thought he will fly his bin chicken around without an asic or registration... (all names presented are fictitious representations of non-real persons identifying as either and or other than male or female; the author recognises and acknowledges the land and animals as land and animals) (spoken on behalf of the political party that politicises the party of the political parties for the political party politics).

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Area-51 said:

The unlicensed pilot in command flying alone not harming anybody may come to grief on a wire. That wire may be the major communication backbone of a remote outback town where a medical emergency has just occurred; eddy the town sergeant has just had a heart attack and requires immediate flying doctor service which just had a near midair with an unidentified light aircraft that ended up hitting wires... with sergeant eddy motionless on the floor, billy the prisoner steals eddy's gun and car keys and goes on an outback rampage after stealing a case of beer from the pub at gunpoint.. with lights and siren blaring billy moves through eighteen communities and six towns mustering support..  within a few short hours billy's gang has swollen to a hoard of angry outback mob continuing to rampage across the dry sunburnt earth in a collection of toyota troopies and mitsubishi pajeros; sergeant eddy is now long dead and the flying doctor PIC is filling out a casa report in a non air conditioned demountable in broome. Bad bad billy meanwhile continues his rage across the outback with his gang breaking into and taking over woomera and pine gap military bases blacking out australia's contribution to the five eyes initiative, resulting in an extended global nuclear exchange due to important messages not getting through between evil people on one side and evil people on the other, causing the internet tiktok and chatgpt to all go off line.. the entire world population under 65 goes nuts and totally looses all capacity to engage with each other causing an apocalypse... all because one guy thought he will fly his bin chicken around without an asic or registration... (all names presented are fictitious representations of non-real persons identifying as either and or other than male or female; the author recognises and acknowledges the land and animals as land and animals) (spoken on behalf of the political party that politicises the party of the political parties for the political party politics).

Exactly what I thought would happen😂😂

• Like 1

thread drift.

Brendan, have you decided what you will do ? That nearby low cost C150 sounds good, but is that GA training or RAAaus group G ? You need to complete whatever you started (IE RAAus) for minimum cost, otherwise you'll be starting again.... and that will be frustrating.  I learned to fly at 49, it can be done. 

Although I think i'll never be as intuitive in my manipulation of the controls as someone who learned in their early 20s.......I think can make up for that with cognitive ability, 

Just like skiing. I learned when I was 18, but even those that ski rarely, but who learned when they were 6, ski with more fluency. 

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

Fast reactions  alone do not a good pilot make. How you MANAGE the operation and your skillset  is far more important. Your attitude too. We'll be OK. It's a big sky and I checked it earlier.   Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I'm convinced that any sort of 'she'll be right' attitude is what eventually catches up with people.

That's as simple as

- not cleaning up your approach speed and height on final, when you could

-  other simple things like being cavalier with the weather. 

- being casual and lacking detail with  preflight inspections etc

not limited to those, but anything where a she'll be right attitude meets requirements 49 times out of 50 , it's that attitude that will lead to one's undoing.

IE any idiot can land a plane, but a she'll be right attitude eventually gets you

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 2

Not sure about the idiot landing but landing is only a small part of the flying thing (but most noticed and commented on)  well controlled  and FAQ. beats squeekers  mixed with a possible WHO was flying THAT?  when you need a good one.  Nev

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RFguy said:

thread drift.

Brendan, have you decided what you will do ? That nearby low cost C150 sounds good, but is that GA training or RAAaus group G ? You need to complete whatever you started (IE RAAus) for minimum cost, otherwise you'll be starting again.... and that will be frustrating.  I learned to fly at 49, it can be done. 

Although I think i'll never be as intuitive in my manipulation of the controls as someone who learned in their early 20s.......I think can make up for that with cognitive ability, 

Just like skiing. I learned when I was 18, but even those that ski rarely, but who learned when they were 6, ski with more fluency. 

At my age, I have dropped off on many things because of lack of currency,  I cant work a Windows PC anymore, because I have simply forgotten, because I have not used one for a long time.  Certain software, even on my iPad are forgotten IF I don’t regularly use it. 
My aircraft?  Will NEVER have a glass cockpit. I only need to know how high my arse is off the ground, how fast it’s going, which direction I am headed, how soon before my plane becomes a glide and make sure no matter what I am doing, don’t go below stall speed. 🤩

I am 72 now, so my marbles are few and far between. 🤩

Edited by jackc
Spelling
  • Like 1

I'm WITH you on a lot of that. People think they must go into a drive for a technology focussed future. Get X box and when you crash just press reset. The sensation of flying is more evident in more basic planes. You can be very competent in a Piper Cub , seat of the Pants flying Basic and simple cheap and safe Less to go Wrong.. Nev

4 hours ago, RFguy said:

thread drift.

Hi Glen. I spoke to the instructor while i was at the airfield this morning. They are now shifting all of us from raaus to ga rpl  . Because they have brought a c152 online and the club is looking buying another one. This way they can match the raaus rates and most of the younger students are working towards RPL anyway. And the instructor is going to make sure I get the time I need to finish solo starting this week. 

• Like 4